One more time, the Hartley height controversy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

One more time, the Hartley height controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The reason DD said "One more time" in his OP subject title is that this is all old news.

He is not basing his 5'9" estimate for Bria entirely on photos and eyeballing. There was a lot of chit chat about Bria's true height a couple of years ago, and subsequently some members of the Horde asked her about it directly. In those video interviews (which were posted online at the time) Bria is heard discussing the varibles (shoes, no shoes, etc.) and at the end of the discussion it became clear that 5'9" was the best rounded figure. I believe she said that she is closer to 5'10" with shoes on but I don't remember for sure.
I think we had had a similar comment from her father at one point, too.

Reaction Score
For sake of facilitating discussion, I request an exception to political correctness and would like to engage in stereotyping without getting lambasted for it. Normally, stereotypical thinking is unhelpful. Here it might be of some use.

It may be that the list of things women would rather not talk that much about includes:

1-age
2-weight
3-height

Examples are thought to be commonplace as to age and weight. In this instance, it appears, even from some recent comments, that it is hard to pin down height, even in direct discussion with Bria.

It has also been said that Stewie is taller than Buck; and, there has been little quarrel with the claim of 6-2 for Tuck.

This team pic suggests to me that Buck is slightly taller than Stewie and that Tuck is 6-1 max.
image.jpg

Reaction Score
As I've talked to Bria few years ago after a game, IMO she is 5' 9

Reaction Score
As I've talked to Bria few years ago after a game, IMO she is 5' 9

You might be right IMO. My best guess is 5-8+. She is shorter than Banks from what I was able to observe; and, Banks appeared taller than her listed 5-9. KML is not taller than Banks IMO.

Reaction Score
Bria is definitely taller than Sherri Coales and that is including Sherri's major bouffant. Anyone care to argue that statement? ;)

Reaction Score
Don't want to put a wet blanket on all this speculative fun, but I never thought players listed exact heights meant that much. What matters more is their reach. Peoples arm lengths and level of their shoulders in relation to their height varies. Longer necks, bigger heads or alligator arms would all decrease relative reach in relation to someone's listed height. Think I am off base? Well I have never seen any player shoot the ball or block shots with the top of their heads. :) :) ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One thing I've never seen addressed, or perhaps I missed it, is why UCONN continues to list the height incorrectly. It's a simple thing to measure these kids and then list their heights accordingly. Another question - are they measured for team USA? You would think that would be a requirement, but again Bria is listed at 5'7" on their roster.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I believe we're related on my father's mother's side of the family.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
We will have the answer soon. I was able to contact the person that handles the website and when he gets back from vacation next week he will drift her height and update the website.

Stay tuned!

Reaction Score
We will have the answer soon. I was able to contact the person that handles the website and when he gets back from vacation next week he will drift her height and update the website.

Stay tuned!

And then maybe there can be a merciful end to this odd fixation after all these years of discussion.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
And then maybe there can be a merciful end to this odd fixation after all these years of discussion.
Yeah, once a year, this comes up and we discuss it.

Merciful end?
Odd fixation?

You don't have to read the thread or comment.

Reaction Score
How tall was Caroline? Bria was an inch to a half inch shorter than Doty.

Reaction Score
Yeah, once a year, this comes up and we discuss it.

Merciful end?
Odd fixation?

You don't have to read the thread or comment.

I thought they were appropriately chosen words. Dozen's of UConn players have had incorrect heights listed on the official roster over the years. Yet, there have been how many threads, posts, and detective work devoted to Bria's height? Threads debating her height even after the detective work led to people asking both Bira and her father directly for her height in the past? It's been debated like the height listed on a piece of paper someone impacts how tall she actually is. A height on a piece of paper that Bria herself didn't care enough about to have changed either in high school or at UConn. Odd fixation seems apt to me.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I thought they were appropriately chosen words. Dozen's of UConn players have had incorrect heights listed on the official roster over the years. Yet, there have been how many threads, posts, and detective work devoted to Bria's height? Threads debating her height even after the detective work led to people asking both Bira and her father directly for her height in the past? It's been debated like the height listed on a piece of paper someone impacts how tall she actually is. A height on a piece of paper that Bria herself didn't care enough about to have changed either in high school or at UConn. Odd fixation seems apt to me.

Name another player that has been listed from the beginning 2 to 3 inches less than their actual height.

No comment would have been better.

Reaction Score
Name another player that has been listed from the beginning 2 to 3 inches less than their actual height.

No comment would have been better.

I can't "name a [sic] player that has been listed from the beginning 2 to 3 inches < their actual height." I also do not think it is proven that Bria's degree of difference is 2-3 inches. I think it's more like 1+ inch.

I can think of a number of instances where height has been overstated:

DT who is now listed at 5-11, was 6-0 when at UCONN.
Barbers Turner listed at 6-0, but was thought to be 5-10
Morgan Tuck listed at 6-2, but who appears 6-1 tops.
Moriah Jefferson listed at 5-7 but who appears 5-5.
And, KML listed 6-0 but who may be 5-10.

There's another current player who's height may be understated:
Brianna Banks 5-9 but who appears 5-10.

Offhand, I can think of only 1 player who's height was adjusted while at UCONN:

Ann Strother, who started at 6-2 and was changed to 6-3.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"I also do not think it is proven that Bria's degree of difference is 2-3 inches. I think it's more like 1+ inch.

Actually, she and her dad both said she was 5'9" when interviewed several years ago. Her father said she might still grow some.

You need more than that?

Reaction Score
Actually, she and her dad both said she was 5'9" when interviewed several years ago. Her father said she might still grow some.

You need more than that?

DD, if you and I aren't careful, we're going to contribute to Ozzie's summer laughs:

You say: 5-9
I say: 5-8+

Ozzie Nelson might have a point :-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members