One interesting Defensive lineup for this year | The Boneyard

One interesting Defensive lineup for this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The Huskies will occasionally extend their defense to put pressure on the opponent - I think with the addition of Stewart and Jefferson, this could become a real popular option for 2012-2013. As long as Geno is coaching, man-to-man will of course be our real bread and butter, but the occaional extended, trapping zone looks real good with the following personnel:

.BStewart............KStokes​
..KML......................................KFaris​
BH/MJ​
The extended zone harrasses the perimeter and creates trapping opportunities, steals, etc. - but is vulnerable to penetration or passes over the top than a standard 2-3. If you have long, athletic bigs who can cover a lot of ground fast and (bonus) can not only defend the rim but but can block and bother shots, then you're golden with the kind of players we have up front.​
KML has shown herself to be quite a solid defender--especially 1-on-1 down low but also when double-teaming the ball out high. Quick feet *and* strong frame. The jury is out on MoJeff as she has yet to suit up at the D1 level but all indications are that she is lightning quick on the defensive end. Bria has gotten much better since she came to Storrs and is now a very solid perimeter defender, with 'tude and tuffness. Of course, KFaris needs no introduction in this regard.​
The whole goal of this kind of D is of course to disrupt, discombobulate, trap, and generate steals and turnovers. For zones, it is usually set up as a 3-2 or as a 1-3-1. (I have it as a 3-2 above, but in a 1-3-1 I would put Stewart in the middle and Kiah in back.) Either way, one of the players in back is supposed to be the free safety and look for opportunities to make steals as the ball rotates and panicked opponents make poorly aimed passes out of the double-team, which can occur either out high or deeper along the sideline. BStewart, especially, was tailor-made for this role. And together with Kiah, both of them are capable of covering large swaths of territory behind the trapping perimeter should penetration occur, comprising a formidable backstop.​
Once the D has done its job and a loose ball or steal occurs, you need to be able to convert. Who better to be breaking the other way than Bria Hartley? And MoJeff may, by later in the year, may be nearly as good in this area. We shall see. Importantly, both Kiah and Breanna are fast enough to be able to get up the floor quickly and trail effectively on the break. KML and KF are also wonderful in transition, and they make smart plays. So not only do we have the personnel to make the D work in the first place, this same group (not saying other Huskies couldn't succeed) would also be outstanding at then converting buckets in transition to make this D worth the risk.​
*​
On those occasions when Stef is taking a breather and Geno wants to go with a *super* fast lineup, I think we may occasionally see an extended zone like this in the half court set, to get our transition game heated up and really frustrate our opponents. (Not to mention various full and 3/4 presses and traps after made baskets--I'm certain we will see LOTS of those, given our deep bench and incredible athleticism.)​

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The Huskies will occasionally extend their defense to put pressure on the opponent - I think with the addition of Stewart and Jefferson, this could become a real popular option for 2012-2013. As long as Geno is coaching, man-to-man will of course be our real bread and butter, but the occaional extended, trapping zone looks real good with the following personnel:

.BStewart............KStokes​
..KML......................................KFaris​
BH/MJ​
The extended zone harrasses the perimeter and creates trapping opportunities, steals, etc. - but is vulnerable to penetration or passes over the top than a standard 2-3. If you have long, athletic bigs who can cover a lot of ground fast and (bonus) can not only defend the rim but but can block and bother shots, then you're golden with the kind of players we have up front.​
KML has shown herself to be quite a solid defender--especially 1-on-1 down low but also when double-teaming the ball out high. Quick feet *and* strong frame. The jury is out on MoJeff as she has yet to suit up at the D1 level but all indications are that she is lightning quick on the defensive end. Bria has gotten much better since she came to Storrs and is now a very solid perimeter defender, with 'tude and tuffness. Of course, KFaris needs no introduction in this regard.​
The whole goal of this kind of D is of course to disrupt, discombobulate, trap, and generate steals and turnovers. For zones, it is usually set up as a 3-2 or as a 1-3-1. (I have it as a 3-2 above, but in a 1-3-1 I would put Stewart in the middle and Kiah in back.) Either way, one of the players in back is supposed to be the free safety and look for opportunities to make steals as the ball rotates and panicked opponents make poorly aimed passes out of the double-team, which can occur either out high or deeper along the sideline. BStewart, especially, was tailor-made for this role. And together with Kiah, both of them are capable of covering large swaths of territory behind the trapping perimeter should penetration occur, comprising a formidable backstop.​
Once the D has done its job and a loose ball or steal occurs, you need to be able to convert. Who better to be breaking the other way than Bria Hartley? And MoJeff may, by later in the year, may be nearly as good in this area. We shall see. Importantly, both Kiah and Breanna are fast enough to be able to get up the floor quickly and trail effectively on the break. KML and KF are also wonderful in transition, and they make smart plays. So not only do we have the personnel to make the D work in the first place, this same group (not saying other Huskies couldn't succeed) would also be outstanding at then converting buckets in transition to make this D worth the risk.​
*​
On those occasions when Stef is taking a breather and Geno wants to go with a *super* fast lineup, I think we may occasionally see an extended zone like this in the half court set, to get our transition game heated up and really frustrate our opponents. (Not to mention various full and 3/4 presses and traps after made baskets--I'm certain we will see LOTS of those, given our deep bench and incredible athleticism.)​

Love it! A fantastic zone defensive team. I love the flexability that this team will have.

Small and quick

Stewart, Lewis, Banks, Hartley, Jefferson

Tall and strong

Dolson, Stokes, Tuck, Lewis, Faris

So many combinations, and we will see plenty of them over the course of the season.

Reaction Score
Does anyone believe our defense will be as good as last year's ? I believe it can, and by the 2nd half of the season it will be better. Is that possible !

I loved watching the 1 - 2 - 1 -1 Full Court Trap last year with 6'3 Kiah Stokes at the point. She is very tough to throw over. Every player is looking to double team except Stef, who will be at the basket to block shots if anyone should break the trap.

In past years Geno has not played a lot of full court pressing, because of our thin bench. It will be totally different this year, if the younger players can learn quick enough.

On paper, with our size, wingspan, speed/quickness, desire, versatility and with more than enough players to wear teams down, we may even end up the season as the greatest defense in WCBB history.

Anyone think i'm exaggerating ? I bet Tonyc would agree with me !

GO UCONN

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Tuck will be the defensive revelation of the year.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think Tuck will be the defensive revelation of the year.

Given her performance defending Stewart for long stretches in the McD game, you could be right. She is a relative 'sleeper' coming in, with all the fanfare surrounding Stewart, and the flashy MoJeff.

Maybe Morgan will be a slightly smaller Asjha Jones, a tad less forceful in the paint but more skilled at 10-15 ft from the basket than Asjha as a frosh..? Would defer to others on that.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Given her performance defending Stewart for long stretches in the McD game, you could be right. She is a relative 'sleeper' coming in, with all the fanfare surrounding Stewart, and the flashy MoJeff.

Maybe Morgan will be a slightly smaller Asjha Jones, a tad less forceful in the paint but more skilled at 10-15 ft from the basket than Asjha as a frosh..? Would defer to others on that.

Morgan Tuck another Asjha Jones? If that even comes close to being true, I'm jumping on TonyC's bandwagon so fast my sneaks will be smokin'! :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kaleena played the point in Mater Dei's full court press that they ran for the entire game. She has quick hands and feet.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Morgan Tuck another Asjha Jones? If that even comes close to being true, I'm jumping on TonyC's bandwagon so fast my sneaks will be smokin'! :)

As I said, I would defer to others on that one, since I did not see much of Asjha until her senior year. I caught maybe 2-3 games in '99-2000 but I don't remember her well enough. It's possible that there are some similarities since I see Morgan as someone who doesn't mind doing the dirty work in the lane, is tough and 'professional' in her oncourt demeanor, and has a pretty versatile set of skills.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As I said, I would defer to others on that one, since I did not see much of Asjha until her senior year. I caught maybe 2-3 games in '99-2000 but I don't remember her well enough. It's possible that there are some similarities since I see Morgan as someone who doesn't mind doing the dirty work in the lane, is tough and 'professional' in her oncourt demeanor, and has a pretty versatile set of skills.
I don't remember AJ until her junior and senior years, but she was always calm and consistent and had a deadly midrange jumper.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Morgan is only a tad smaller, possibly a bit more skilled at the same point in their respective careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom