One Catholic School's View of UConn | The Boneyard

One Catholic School's View of UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I recently talked to someone at one of the BE Catholic schools. I don't necessarily agree with their comments but here it goes:
  • They said Herbst is not well liked by other Presidents. This is probably to be expected because from day 1 she was put in position of having to look at jumping the BE ship. However they said the Prez World is close knit and that it goes beyond conference. We will see if that's true?
  • Said that BE and BYU are close - hang up is replaying FB games on BYU's local network - ESPN not agreeing to BYU's demands.
  • Thinks UC made a mistake not objecting to Hathaway taking the Big East $1 job. Says Hathaway will subtly bad mouth Herbst as he travels around the country watching games - and that could hurt UC's conference chances.

Reaction Score
I recently talked to someone at one of the BE Catholic schools. I don't necessarily agree with their comments but here it goes:
  • They said Herbst is not well liked by other Presidents. This is probably to be expected because from day 1 she was put in position of having to look at jumping the BE ship. However they said the Prez World is close knit and that it goes beyond conference. We will see if that's true?
  • Said that BE and BYU are close - hang up is replaying FB games on BYU's local network - ESPN not agreeing to BYU's demands.
  • Thinks UC made a mistake not objecting to Hathaway taking the Big East $1 job. Says Hathaway will subtly bad mouth Herbst as he travels around the country watching games - and that could hurt UC's conference chances.

I wouldn't have expected her to be popular. I highly doubt that RU, UL, Cincy etc have a problem with her. I suspect the bball schools loathe her because she openly wanted to leave them.

I have always thought the Hathaway move was suspect because it gave him a platform to bad mouth UConn. However, i think Jeff is conservative enough and smart enough to be very diplomatic and positive when talking about UConn. You never take shots at a previous employer, especially at that level. It just isn't a good idea for many reasons, primarily because it makes you look low class and bitter.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Herbst is not part of the old BE boys club and has her own plans that she feels will benefit UCONN. I'm actually thrilled to hear that she isn't liked, she doesn't need to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Herbst is a job hopper not a dues payer. There's a reason to dislike Herbst as an aggressive upwardly mobile type who moves on before she can can be held accountable. Most of what happened this year, Jackson Labs and the UConn Health Care Funding, were initiatives started before her arrival or otherwise initiated by others.

Was Hathaway railroaded?

Would the woman who uses UConn as a stepping stone use the BE as a stepping stone?

It gives the industry gossips something to schmooze about around the water coolers.

Reaction Score

#1. If the Prez world was so "close-knit", why did Pitt and SU fool all of them? Lots of people complain about Marinatto, but he only does the bidding of a bunch of apparently clueless Presidents.
#2. Don't know if I care about BYU in the Big East. Isn't enough to keep an AQ.
#3. If Hathaway sees fit to bad-mouth any part of UConn across the country, who in their right mind would offer him a job?

Reaction Score
Hathaway would likely be in violation of a seperation agreement if he did that. And if he did that, who would listen???

Reaction Score
Regarding the 2nd bullet point, SNY is allowed to replay certain SYR/UConn/RU games that were originally on one of the ESPNs (for a fee, no doubt), so why couldn't BYU pay a similar rebroadcasting fee, unless they just don't want to.

Reaction Score
I'm calling B.S. in the subject of Jeff Hathaway badmouthing UConn behind closed doors.
a. I've known J.H. socially for over a decade, & he's never seemed to be the vindictive type.
b. as has been stated previously, one doesn't burn bridges in one's field of expertise as one may need references in looking for future employment.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing chief, always find it interesting to hear what others (in academia, and especially in the BE) opinions are on this stuff.

I don't have a problem w/ other Prez's not loving Herbst, and I'm not buying this "close knit" business b/c that sure as hell didn't have an impact on Miami, VT, BC, SU, Pitt, or WVU taking off.

I will be shocked if ByU is salvageable, but we'll see. If we have to remain in the BE, and add western teams, BYU would be on my preferred short list.

I would have thought the fact that Ucon supported jH going to the BE office would reflect positively on Herbst and UConn. Also, Hathaway will take the high road, and even if he didn't it won't impact our attractiveness to another league at all.

Reaction Score
1) If this is coming from one of the "Catholic" schools in the BE..who really cares..NONE of them play football in the BE so they really don't matter all that much in what we do! As for the Pres world being close knit...there are plenty of presidents who have and will vouch for us like Hogan and Austin.
2) I'm not in or out on the BYU thing...if it happens it happens if it doesn't it doesn't
3) Wou,dn't surprise me one bit about Hathaway...but what does surprise me is that there have been some AD jobs that have come open where he could have kept the NCAA comm chair if he took that job...specifically Cinncinati. The fact he hasn't been mentioned for that job speaks VOLUMES about his reputation to me.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm not worried about a Catholic school prez not liking Herbst. They say one thing in public and another in private.

The fact that Herbst has some of them upset is a good thing. It shows she is doing her job - what is best for Uconn. Nobody in a position of authority and responsibility is liked by everyone. You are going to piss someone off. It goes with the territory.

Reaction Score
I'm not worried about a Catholic school prez not liking Herbst. They say one thing in public and another in private.
If they bring back the Inquisition, you're toast.

Reaction Score
Herbst is a job hopper not a dues payer. There's a reason to dislike Herbst as an aggressive upwardly mobile type who moves on before she can can be held accountable. 14 years at Northwestern says you are talking out of the wrong orifice. She had two short stints in between there and GTech, and received rave reviews for both positions.

Was Hathaway railroaded? Maybe, but nobody else had the courage to do what needed to be done.

Would the woman who uses UConn as a stepping stone use the BE as a stepping stone? I think you have her confused with her predecessor, who was universally liked by the BE presidents and lasted what, 18 months?

It gives the industry gossips something to schmooze about around the water coolers.

If Herbst is not liked, it's because she's not deferential. I'm fine with that -- she shouldn't be.

C

Chief00

I agree there is probably language in Hathaway's settlement agreement banning bad mouthing UConn ....and I don't think they are suggesting that. There are many things Hathaway ain't but one thing he is - is a bureaucrat - he is capable of doing damage without violating the agreement.
Having said that, I think he will become increasingly bitter for the reason others have mentioned, I would be shocked if he gets hired to a major job. Money wise he had a good gig at UConn - but they must have had a lot of dirt on him - for Jeff to settle for so little money when he had multiple years left on his contract. Barring something almost criminal that might get exposed IMO he should have held out for more like 3 or 4 years of money vs. the one he got. In either case - he won't get a big job - so his ego or advisor overvalued that concern - the report damaging his career - when it was already over the cliff.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
RS9999X said:
Herbst is a job hopper not a dues payer. There's a reason to dislike Herbst as an aggressive upwardly mobile type who moves on before she can can be held accountable. 14 years at Northwestern says you are talking out of the wrong orifice. She had two short stints in between there and GTech, and received rave reviews for both positions.

Was Hathaway railroaded? Maybe, but nobody else had the courage to do what needed to be done.

Would the woman who uses UConn as a stepping stone use the BE as a stepping stone? I think you have her confused with her predecessor, who was universally liked by the BE presidents and lasted what, 18 months?

It gives the industry gossips something to schmooze about around the water coolers.​

I don't have any skin in this game. That's what her detractors are saying. Once she moved from faculty (2003) Herbst has held 3 positions (Temple, Albany and Georgia) for an average of under 3 years. You can see the same pattern in upwardly mobile public school superintendents too.

Damned if I know whether she works out well here or not or if she stays longer than 3 years

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
CTMike - I was thinking the same thing! Couldn't find the clip.

Reaction Score
I'm calling B.S. in the subject of Jeff Hathaway badmouthing UConn behind closed doors.
a. I've known J.H. socially for over a decade, & he's never seemed to be the vindictive type.
b. as has been stated previously, one doesn't burn bridges in one's field of expertise as one may need references in looking for future employment.

It wouldn't matter anyway. Either conferences will like UConn's 10 national basketball championships, its US News ranking and its mediocre but with upside football or they won't.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have always thought the Hathaway move was suspect because it gave him a platform to bad mouth UConn. However, i think Jeff is conservative enough and smart enough to be very diplomatic and positive when talking about UConn. You never take shots at a previous employer, especially at that level. It just isn't a good idea for many reasons, primarily because it makes you look low class and bitter.

Exactly. The praise may be faint but it will be there, because it is his best interest.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Herbst is a job hopper not a dues payer. There's a reason to dislike Herbst as an aggressive upwardly mobile type who moves on before she can can be held accountable. Most of what happened this year, Jackson Labs and the UConn Health Care Funding, were initiatives started before her arrival or otherwise initiated by others.

Was Hathaway railroaded?

Would the woman who uses UConn as a stepping stone use the BE as a stepping stone?

Do you have any basis for this?

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. The Catholic schools with the exception of Georgetown, are very different beasts from the University of Connecticut. They are mostly mid-level schools with modest sized student bodies and limited academic offerings compared to UCONN, or even Cincy and Louisville. They have different goals and roles in the higher education system, to the extent there is any logic to the "system." Look even at a school like Villanova. Probably the highest rated of the Catholics not named Georgetown. It is mainly an undergraduate institution with some graduate professional schools (law, engineering, business, nursing). Doesn't really offer many if any doctorates. UCONN offers pretty much all of those, plus offers Ph.D's in many of them as well as some post-doctoral programs in some. It also offers doctorates in the more traditional liberal arts and agriculture/natural resources, has a medical school, a dental school. As a result it conducts advanced research in many areas. It is a totally different type of entity. As a result, UCONN's predient is going to have a very different world view than Fr. Harrington at St Johns.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
The Catholic Schools aren't going to partner with Jackson Labs to become a world leader in genetic sciences and cloning technologies and stem cell harvests.

It's an entirely different mentality. If anything there may be insurmountable ethical battles down the road.

Reaction Score
The Catholic Schools aren't going to partner with Jackson Labs to become a world leader in genetic sciences and cloning technologies and stem cell harvests.

It's an entirely different mentality. If anything there may be insurmountable ethical battles down the road.
Exactly. Even if there aren't ethical issues, that is a perfect example of the differences in the roles of the two types of institutions.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks that UConn will even be in a conference with the current BE Catholic schools in two years is dreaming. This is the end-game for the Big East that was. We'll either be in some new, all sports conference with the likes of Cincy, Rutgers, UCF, SMU etc. or we'll be in an existing conference (ACC or B1G).

Reaction Score
Lots of private schools are going to have a difficult time making a go of it n the near future. Increasingly they are catering to a certain type of affluent student. The trend is toward automatic admission if you can pay full freight, and though many of these schools have a local cache (I see it in Buffalo with Canisius) the academic strength of these schools is being tested as they are hitting a ceiling as to what they can charge their incoming students. The best students are now attending state schools if they don't go to (or land scholarships at) the top privates, leaving places like St. John's and Seton Hall in odd positions in the market. Villanova is different since it's got a place on the Main Line in Philly, but lots of these private schools have questionable futures. While Trinity and Wesleyan will be around for a long time, I really wonder about Hartford and New Haven and Sacred Heart, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom