One big difference between JC and Hurley | The Boneyard

One big difference between JC and Hurley

Reaction Score
I know Jim Calhoun was a unicorn we were blessed to have at UConn. Watched the Xavier game with some familya and friends and they said it wasn't a good 'T', but that Hurley is emotional.
Calhoun was as fiery as they come, but the knew the situation.

That said, Calhoun was loyal to his players, but he held them responsible on the court. I think it was Caron Butler that he benched after one possession in a game once. I think he even came out onto the court after calling for a timeout and walked Butler back to the bench barking at him the entire time. Today, Sanogo's head was not in it at the offensive end. Clingan had some decent minutes, but the one time an Xavier player drives buy him for a layup, he was out. He should have yanked Sanogo even for just a minute after his player slipped to the hoop for a dunk. At least Clingan didn't look around and raise his hands to his teammates like "Where were YOU?".

I love Sanogo, but it was a bad look, but I thought even more, it was a missed opportunity for Hurley to send a message to his star. It wasn't like Sanogo's was destroying Xavier on the offensive end and couldn't sit for a minute or two.

Reaction Score
I know Jim Calhoun was a unicorn we were blessed to have at UConn. Watched the Xavier game with some familya and friends and they said it wasn't a good 'T', but that Hurley is emotional.
Calhoun was as fiery as they come, but the knew the situation.

That said, Calhoun was loyal to his players, but he held them responsible on the court. I think it was Caron Butler that he benched after one possession in a game once. I think he even came out onto the court after calling for a timeout and walked Butler back to the bench barking at him the entire time. Today, Sanogo's head was not in it at the offensive end. Clingan had some decent minutes, but the one time an Xavier player drives buy him for a layup, he was out. He should have yanked Sanogo even for just a minute after his player slipped to the hoop for a dunk. At least Clingan didn't look around and raise his hands to his teammates like "Where were YOU?".

I love Sanogo, but it was a bad look, but I thought even more, it was a missed opportunity for Hurley to send a message to his star. It wasn't like Sanogo's was destroying Xavier on the offensive end and couldn't sit for a minute or two.
2 bad games from Sonogo. No idea what Hurley is doing wasting Clingan. When Clingan was in the game was under our control. We could contested the boards, altered shots and control Ed the interior which was critical with AK being out manned. The inability to see what was happening is beyond understanding. Been saying this for years that you can’t solve coaching deficiencies by getting better players always. Today was a prime example of poor coaching wasting talent.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Calhoun got into his best players all the time. It’s what made him such a great developer of talent. Only guy I remember being perfect was Kemba cause… he kinda was by his junior year.

I would like to see Hurley do the same with some of the top guys on this team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There are many differences between DH and JC and you wouldn't expect any two people to be alike
That being said, the best word I can use is the level of maturity, not in the terms of years but in the level of accepting change and ability to pivot, decision making and recognizing when to react and when not to.
A big job in coaching is player development and JC embraced it and I just don't see that in DH - yet

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice Hurley say at the Villanova post-game presser saying, "We have to come back and play again on Satursday against somebody. I'm not even sure who we're playing." or some words close to that. He didn't say it I'm a joking way. I was thinking, "I hope he isn't serious." They didn't seem very prepared for Xavier's motion.

Reaction Score
Calhoun got into his best players all the time. It’s what made him such a great developer of talent. Only guy I remember being perfect was Kemba cause… he kinda was by his junior year.

I would like to see Hurley do the same with some of the top guys on this team.
A bit with Jerome Dyson too. Slicin' Jerry Dyson would be a great help to our current team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom