Geno Auriemma
Mike Cavanaugh
Lenny Tsaris
Jim Penders

Nancy Stevens
Ray Reid
Warde Manual
and now Bob Diaco

I think we are doing a pretty good job and have been blessed. It seems that every time Connecticut decides to do something successfully, it happens. Pretty good legacy, past and future listed above. I don't have one friend from any school with a better broad spectrum success run as a University. I think we are very fortunate and blessed.

For the record Diaco will WIN!

Reaction Score
Nancy Stevens -Last two Natl' field hockey titles

Nothing wrong with Edsall

Pas, well the exception makes the rule

Even the best athletic departments make mistakes.

Reaction Score
Diaco was 2-10. He should have to earn his way on that list.

Reaction Score
UCONN once hired Lou Holtz and Sam Rutigliano

AND Rick Forzano. IIRC all on the football staff at the same time.

Need to add Dee Rowe to the original list. I knew Dee a little and in a conversation recall he told me Joe Marrone was so driven that Marrone would certainly win a National Championship - and he did.

Reaction Score
Joe Marrone
Jim Calhoun
Kevin Ollie
Geno Auriemma
Mike Cavanaugh
Lenny Tsaris
Jim Penders

Nancy Stevens
Ray Reid
Warde Manual
and now Bob Diaco

I think we are doing a pretty good job and have been blessed. It seems that every time Connecticut decides to do something successfully, it happens. Pretty good legacy, past and future listed above. I don't have one friend from any school with a better broad spectrum success run as a University. I think we are very fortunate and blessed.

For the record Diaco will WIN!

You have to earn your stripes to be included in a list with Jim Calhoun, Geno Auriemma and Joe Marrone. Warde IS NOT there.
Once UConn is in the B1G during his watch then he'll be there. His biggest responsibility right now is to get UConn athletics earning as much as their regional peers. Either the AAC needs to get a big raise or he needs to get UConn into as lucrative a situation as Syracuse, BC, Pitt and Rutgers. Ollie is earning his as we speak. He gets back to the Final Four with guys he recruited then you can add him. As for the others, when you become a household word like Calhoun and Auriemma have in this state then you belong on a list with them.

Diaco has won less than 20% of the games he's coached..... so far. As far as Edsall is concerned, he barely broke above .500(74-70) for his over all record at UConn and went 22-26 in the Big East Conference. But.... to be fair his 2007 squad was ranked #13 in Oct of that year. Paul Pasqualoni was a dismal failure after coming from the legendary Dallas Cowboys where he was their defensive coordinator. After winning major bowl games while coaching Syracuse and then spending many years in the pros how he could have laid an egg at his home state's flagship university 3 years in a row is beyond explanation. He belongs on another list. Lets keep our fingers crossed that Diaco doesn't join him there. I don't think he will. I have a gut feeling that if Diaco doesn't leave for greener pastures he will eclipse Edsall's record and eventually join Geno and Jim on the list of the greats that have coached here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
... and passed on Bill Belichick.

and got Tom "Why am I feeding you guys?" Jackson instead. LOL.

Diaco's a guy that has demonstrated the ability to come up with plans, and execute them successfully. So far, he's successfully led a program on the field to a 2-10 record, that regressed during the season to the point where they couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

He's getting an education as a head coach at UCONN, and I hope that he pays back the university for that education in the form of many wins and championships during his tenure, however long it will be.

It's undoubtedly part of a bigger plan, what happened in 2014, but it's nothing I've ever seen before done with a football program, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Right now, I'm just concerned about taking the field against Villanova and not embarrassing ourselves in front of the people that will be there. Communication, pace, discipline. Mental and physical toughness. Win the damn game convincingly. A little bit of the Tom "We gotta go!" Jackson attitude, and the Randy Edsall disciplined approach to tunrovers, and penalties, etc. etc.

I'll start to proclaim greatness, for Coach D, when it's deserved and what for. I think he deserves a ton of credit for doing a great job in two things - doing the right things with developing a program for UCONN that upholds the concept of academics and athletics going together and using the sport of football to develop quality young men, and in developing a recruiting plan that works well for the profile of school that UCONN is, in our location, and what we have to offer, and what level of competition we want to be at. Edsall never was able to sell UCONN the way DIaco has been able. He's been very good at that.

The on field performance though, is what ultimately matters.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Even the best athletic departments make mistakes.
Yup, so do school presidents.
img15458224.jpg

Reaction Score
Yup, so do school presidents.
img15458224.jpg
Both of those mistakes have been erased. Let the past be the past. We have a bright future both athletically and academically.

Reaction Score
I love Diaco and what he's trying to do. It's just the timing for rebuilding is awful, with Conference Realignment looming.
Edsall did a very good job of getting us to a point. He just wasn't very personable and his departure couldn't have been worse.
Yes, Edsall was 22-26 in the Big East. But why is Schiano considered a legend when he was 28-48 in the Big East with a fertile recruiting ground?

True UCONN fans know who Nancy Stevens is. She's raising banners!

CL82

Reaction Score
Both of those mistakes have been erased. Let the past be the past. We have a bright future both athletically and academically.
We're still digging our way out. Let the past be the past once it has passed.

Reaction Score
Well, we certainly are a "stop and smell the roses" bunch.

Reaction Score
We're still digging our way out. Let the past be the past once it has passed.

Well luckily for you that National Title we'll be winning will help erase your memory like Agent K in Men in Black.

CL82

Reaction Score
ZING!!!!!!!!! Tell me what else I have to do to join you and the other superfans in the illustrious "True UConn Fan Club"!!!!!
There's a pretty significant application fee, but no annual membership fees afterward, so it is a good deal. If you pay for the premium membership you can add this to your posts:

Superfan-logo.png

PM me and I'd be glad to give you a PO Box that you can send the fee to. Cashier checks or money orders only!

Reaction Score
There's a pretty significant application fee, but no annual membership fees afterward, so it is a good deal. If you pay for the premium membership you can add this to your posts:

Superfan-logo.png

PM me and I'd be glad to give you a PO Box that you can send the fee to. Cashier checks or money orders only!

Thanks for the offer but I'm all tapped out after sending my buddy some cash. Poor guy is stuck in Europe after getting robbed and sent a desperation email to me asking for help. I sent him a couple grand to his Nigerian bank account. That's the kind of guy I am.

Reaction Score
I love Diaco and what he's trying to do. It's just the timing for rebuilding is awful, with Conference Realignment looming.
Edsall did a very good job of getting us to a point. He just wasn't very personable and his departure couldn't have been worse.
Yes, Edsall was 22-26 in the Big East. But why is Schiano considered a legend when he was 28-48 in the Big East with a fertile recruiting ground?

Who says Schiano is a legend? You know who are legends? Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Lou Holtz, Paul "Bear" Bryant, even Jimmy Johnson might be considered though he won national championships with players that would be ruled academically ineligible at a lot of universities. What has Schiano won? A bowl game or two....so did Pasqualoni and I don't think anybody's anointing him a legend anytime soon.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Who says Schiano is a legend? You know who are legends? Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Lou Holtz, Paul "Bear" Bryant, even Jimmy Johnson might be considered though he won national championships with players that would be ruled academically ineligible at a lot of universities. What has Schiano won? A bowl game or two....so did Pasqualoni and I don't think anybody's anointing him a legend anytime soon.

Legendary has quite different qualifications in the realm of Big East football. Schiano made a program that for years had been abysmal have national relevance. Edsall is legendary at UConn because he took a 1-AA team and made them a consistent contender in a formidable conference--all in under a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom