Once Its On The Internet It Is There Forever | The Boneyard

Once Its On The Internet It Is There Forever

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, last week I noticed a video comes up every time I use one of my less favorite search engines for 2018 UConn recruits... every time and high on the first page. You'll never guess what it is, so I'll show you. Actually a very good production with Diane Sawyer. Too bad this was not produced on day 3. Could have saved a lot of hullaloo.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wish it were true!
Not to want to disagree but I've been using a translation of an obscure Mendelssohn concert area I'm conducting (courtesy of the Barbican, London) and then suddenly it disappeared...

Drag.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wish it were true!
Not to want to disagree but I've been using a translation of an obscure Mendelssohn concert area I'm conducting (courtesy of the Barbican, London) and then suddenly it disappeared...

Drag.

There is this thing called a memory stick msf22b, but I hear yuh.

Reaction Score
Geno certainly let it go. He said it really didn't effect UConn all that much. It was more how it effected the rest of WCBB--gave them a fighting chance (which two years later they took advantage of). Would have been a great match-up EDD vs Britney. And it made it possible for last year's team to set the consecutive win streak.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Geno certainly let it go. He said it really didn't effect UConn all that much.

If by "really didn't effect UConn all that much" he meant "would have won more championships", I agree.

Reaction Score
If by "really didn't effect UConn all that much" he meant "would have won more championships", I agree.
He specifically said that they probably lost the opportunity to win 2 more championships, but shrugged his shoulders and seemed to be very much at peace with it. I strongly sensed during this last winning streak that Geno was uncomfortable setting too many records too unreachable. It makes it seem as if he wasn't playing the same game as everyone else (which he sort of wasn't/isn't), and therefore (in his mind) maybe less meaningful.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I let it go long time ago; have you let it go Milford?
Oh, yeah! Elena did what she had to do for herself. I don't think we knew how strong her attachment was to her sister until she left UConn. I let it go years ago.

That said, I think she would be an even better player if she had been able to attend UConn, be coached by Geno et al., and play with the Huskies. Elena's comments on Geno at USA Basketball suggested that she could have learned a lot from him.

It might have been unfair if she had played 2 years with Tina, Maya, et al. I do think, though, that her departure gave the 2008-09 a bit of an edge. The players were focused on what they had, not who left, and played with attitude. We won 90 in a row after Elena left.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He specifically said that they probably lost the opportunity to win 2 more championships, but shrugged his shoulders and seemed to be very much at peace with it. I strongly sensed during this last winning streak that Geno was uncomfortable setting too many records too unreachable. It makes it seem as if he wasn't playing the same game as everyone else (which he sort of wasn't/isn't), and therefore (in his mind) maybe less meaningful.
I think the way he handled the whole EDD situation shows Geno at his best. He was patient and forgiving, telling her to do whatever was the best decision for her. It is a side that the public rarely sees of him.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I`ll move away momentarily from the EDD discussion for a comment under the general heading, "once its on the internet it is there forever".

I suggest that you google your message board name, followed by the word "boneyard". A bunch of your postings will likely appear, as well as images that you have posted.

Odd to think that in my case that may last long after any other evidence of my existence has disappeared! :eek:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I`ll move away momentarily from the EDD discussion for a comment under the general heading, "once its on the internet it is there forever".

I suggest that you google your message board name, followed by the word "boneyard". A bunch of your postings will likely appear, as well as images that you have posted.

Odd to think that in my case that may last long after any other evidence of my existence has disappeared! :eek:

You don't disappear; you transmogrify.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I like it, but I don't understand it!

Reaction Score
I like it, but I don't understand it!
What I meant (and didn't say well) is that if UConn sets records that are so far greater than any team previously and apparently unlikely ever to be broken, then UConn really isn't "mortal." As the French say regarding the greatest mountain climbs in cycling, UConn would be "hors categorie"--beyond comparison. But Geno is a very sociable guy who believes that with hard work you can get anywhere. He wants to be part of things and measured by others. He doesn't want to be seen as something different. So, he wants all his records "understandable" and "attainable."

If we believe that UConn is "good for the sport" then we have to believe that some "future UConn," after Geno retires, is also good for the sport. Not that I'll necessarily root for that team; but Geno will be the first one to congratulate any team with more consecutive wins or NCs--and he'll mean ever word of it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
But Geno is a very sociable guy who believes that with hard work you can get anywhere. He wants to be part of things and measured by others. He doesn't want to be seen as something different. So, he wants all his records "understandable" and "attainable."

I still like it as a thoughtful post, but I think you have missed the mark on Geno. This is the guy who said last year that any coach can come and see practice, etc., because they won't understand it and can't duplicate it. Yes, at the same time he wants the game to improve and push his Shield Maidens , but he is still the guy who sat on the embroidered antique coach in New Orleans and said: "I lied, I think we can win it all!" The same year as Dianna and the rose petals I believe. That was a very good year. That's Geno.

Reaction Score
That's Geno.
Good read, but I think that's ONE PART of Geno. It's the public bravado part. But a bit deeper down, he has great respect for the human condition and an Italian immigrant's sense of fatalism and of the inevitable reversal of fortune. Of course, he wants to be known as the greatest of all time (he's lived his life in competition), but he also wants to be the greatest of everyone, not someone who stands above everyone.

Reaction Score
Elena said that when she left for UConn, she lost her sister. Probably more accurately, her sister lost Elena. Having not sight or hearing, thus not being able to sense Elena's presence via her remaining sense of smell/touch, must have been incomprehensible, confusing, and panicking to her. Elena made a selfless sacrifice for her sister's well being. I'll always admire her for her decision.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Elena said that when she left for UConn, she lost her sister. Probably more accurately, her sister lost Elena. Having not sight or hearing, thus not being able to sense Elena's presence via her remaining sense of smell/touch, must have been incomprehensible, confusing, and panicking to her. Elena made a selfless sacrifice for her sister's well being. I'll always admire her for her decision.

Half right Bestiarius. Elena was not selfless. She did not comprehend the bond 'til it was absent. She wanted it as much as her sister, though I suspect her understanding of her sister's sense of loss and abandonment sharpened the pangs of both guilt and loss to drive her home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom