Once everyone is healthy……… | The Boneyard

Once everyone is healthy………

Reaction Score
……….who are Geno’s starters? I’ll say Paige, Christyn, Ono, Evina, and Caroline or Edwards. He also can go Paige, Christyn, Ono, Dorka, and Azzi, either way it’s one very deep and talented team with Nika, DeBerry, and Griffin coming off the bench. I’d say Griffin might have the toughest recovery, but if she can conquer her back issues this is one scary team. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Paige, CW, E, Dorka and Ono. Or he can go small with Paige, CW, E, Caroline and Ono. I would think it's the first group with Caroline, Azzi and AE coming off the bench. Either one would give Geno a lot of versatility and options. We just need all of them to come back healthy.

Reaction Score
Depending upon the matchups, I have 2 options. The big lineup would be Dorka, Liv, Paige, E and Caroline. This is probably my playoff lineup.

The small lineup would be Dorka, E, CW, Paige and Caroline. If Azzi is as advertised ( heh, she may still be great if she has enough PT and health to show it ), then maybe Azzi is a starter with Paige. Sometimes one of your best players comes off the bench and if you need a scoring punch bringing Azzi or Caroline off the bench is a good solution. Having Edwards and Amari available is also a big help. I'd like to see us have a 9 player rotation with almost no one playing more than 30-32 minutes. If someone is hot any given night give them 35 minutes maybe. In that way EVERYONE has the energy to do the kind of cutting and player movement we need to really be successful.

Reaction Score
Depending upon the matchups, I have 2 options. The big lineup would be Dorka, Liv, Paige, E and Caroline. This is probably my playoff lineup.

The small lineup would be Dorka, E, CW, Paige and Caroline. If Azzi is as advertised ( heh, she may still be great if she has enough PT and health to show it ), then maybe Azzi is a starter with Paige. Sometimes one of your best players comes off the bench and if you need a scoring punch bringing Azzi or Caroline off the bench is a good solution. Having Edwards and Amari available is also a big help. I'd like to see us have a 9 player rotation with almost no one playing more than 30-32 minutes. If someone is hot any given night give them 35 minutes maybe. In that way EVERYONE has the energy to do the kind of cutting and player movement we need to really be successful.
remember Nika

Reaction Score
I think we stay with the current starting lineup til Paige gets back, with Azzi or Nika being first off the bench (probably subbing for CW), unless Liv or Dorka gets in foul trouble, in which case it's AE.

The one good thing that's come from our current injury situation is that Caroline Ducharme has really had a chance to blossom.

Reaction Score
Just a thought: I would like to see Geno shuffle the deck and come out with starters based upon consistent performance in the games played. Seems like some starters show up for one game and go silent on others. Just an Old Fool talking. Won't happen.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just a thought: I would like to see Geno shuffle the deck and come out with starters based upon consistent performance in the games played. Seems like some starters show up for one game and go silent on others. Just an Old Fool talking. Won't happen.
Don't think we can field 5 starters if you require consistency. :oops:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
……….who are Geno’s starters? I’ll say Paige, Christyn, Ono, Evina, and Caroline or Edwards. He also can go Paige, Christyn, Ono, Dorka, and Azzi, either way it’s one very deep and talented team with Nika, DeBerry, and Griffin coming off the bench. I’d say Griffin might have the toughest recovery, but if she can conquer her back issues this is one scary team. Thoughts?
He needs to shake up the starters and start some freshmen and sophomores. He will never win #12 with these seniors getting the lion's share of the minutes. They are not as talented as the underclassmen. Plus it gives them the experience they need to get a jump on next year.

Reaction Score
Over the years ( and Championships ) Geno has shown generous slack and playing time to the Seniors. When and if they mess up big time, they get pulled. I don't expect much will change with these Seniors.

Reaction Score
I think we stay with the current starting lineup til Paige gets back, with Azzi or Nika being first off the bench (probably subbing for CW), unless Liv or Dorka gets in foul trouble, in which case it's AE.

The one good thing that's come from our current injury situation is that Caroline Ducharme has really had a chance to blossom.
Blossom is an understatement, she has the best footwork for a big girl that I’ve ever seen, and can shoot the lights out, also saw her make some nifty assists, blocked a three point shot grabbed the ball and raced down court for an easy score. Plays taller than her listed 6’2” also. I hope Geno keeps playing her, he could have a star in the making.

Reaction Score
I have a question that I need help with. How many Uconn #1 recruits have won a chip and how many have never won a chip and who are they. Can some one please compile a list of those who have won those who haven't

Reaction Score
That is exactly the way Geno says he coaches, he refers to it as “who he can trust”.

Reaction Score
Whatever happens, whoever comes back and when they do, unless she just absolutely tanks for the next month, it's going to be awfully tough for Geno to take CD out of the starting lineup.
I mean, for arguments sake, lets say Nika comes back first. How many games will it take to knock off the rust and get her into the swing of things? She can certainly give EW, CW and CD a breather, but don't think they can afford to lose CD's scoring and ability to hit from outside.
Nika is agret pest and pickpocket on defense if she's healthy, but she's not going to block many shots or bang inside.
Similar deal with Azzi.
How long till she can make herself an integral part on both offense AND defense?
Again, she can fill in for CW, EW and CD, but do we want to lose CD's height and ability to drive through the lane? Do we want to give up the height and reach?
By the time Paige comes back (please Lord, let us have this one), who knows what will turn out to be the strongest starting 5 and who will make the biggest impact coming off the bench.
The starting 5 for the NCAA Tourney COULD be Paige, Dorka, CD, Liv and Azzi.
Or it could be something totally different, depending on how the end of February and the BE Tourney goes.
Maybe CW ignites again, maybe EV's maturity and leadership resurfaces, maybe AE gets back to doing what she does best instead of running around the perimeter looking for something to do (and is that her choice or has someone stressed that she has to "expand her portfolio"?)
Didn't forget Aubrey, but her physical issues have no apparent soution or timetable right now. Also, I keep saying that, when she's healthy, she comes off the bench like the Tasmanian Devil and puts the other team back on their heels for some critical minutes.

Reaction Score
I think CW should be fighting for minutes when everyone comes back, but that’s not how Geno does things. It will be interesting to see who is on the floor at the end of games.

The starting 5 for the NCAA Tourney COULD be Paige, Dorka, CD, Liv and Azzi.

I can see this at the end of games, but not to start. This could be our best 5 come April 1.

PvP

Reaction Score
It seems two ladies have EARNED starting roles going forward regardless of who returns and when. It is so clear that I don't even have to mention their names!
And no need to mention "senior leadership" as "there ain't none!"

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
What we have tried to accomplish the last few games is chemistry, living life without Paige and the others. I think they have done a very good job of getting there, so adding Azzi or Nika to the starting line up would disrupt what they have accomplished. When they do get back, they will bring a huge scoring option, a point guard that has proven that she can run our team, and a relief for our two starting guards. Not being gassed will improve the productivity of Christyn and Evina later in the game. Right now, the emergence of Dorka and Caroline gives us plenty of fire power in the starting line up, so for now leave it as is. As I have said before, Geno now has the option of giving more PT to some bench players, something that he hasn't done in a long time. Paige isn't due to return until late February, a long time away, so Geno has to construct the rotation as if she was not coming back. If and when she returns, then he can make further adjustments, but for now, the rotation will be what it is. The major key right now isn't the return of Paige, but the return of Nika and Azzi. If they don't come back for a while, then our season will not be a very good one.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
CW has good chemistry with Paige. She runs very fast in transition plays and has good catch with Paige's full court passes. I love they are playing together.
And I noticed just prior to Paige's injury that CW was getting better penetrating to collapse the defense and firing a quick pass back to Paige for open outside shots. I dont think she has the chemistry to do that with Caroline yet but it should get better

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Let's forget starting for the moment.
Caroline Doty started when she could barely walk
It's a question of who plays key minutes.

What Geno has discovered the last few games is that Dorka and Caroline are the real thing.
Rather than disrupting the lineup (which has proven not able to win the big ones)
Geno will be able to feed in Nika and Azzi and see what they add...

If one or both perform...Nika to last season's standard, Azzi, to her rep....

They are going to play....period

I can't foresee what is going to happen thereafter, neither can Geno or any of us...

But in advance of Paige's return (assuming she does)...we may have lost a few more games but in return have a very good idea of who is capable of leading us deep into the tournament.

And it is likely not the seniors (my uninformed guess).

Reaction Score
I want to see if Ducharme continues her scoring now that she is getting playing time. If she continues to produce, it’s crazy not to have her starting, and I’d easily swap CW or EW for her. If picking between CW or EW, I don’t know, maybe I’d go with CW for her defense contribution but I like Evina’s rebounding too.
The other player I have my eye on is Aaliyah. She seems to be getting a fire under her. Choosing between Dorka or her right now is simple as Dorka is playing well, but if Aaliyah begins to really assert herself and produce, it’ll be interesting. We need a banger down low and she’s the closest thing we have right now (still would like to see if Deberry could do this). UConn needs to do a better job of having the guards deliver to the bigs when they are open

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The other player I have my eye on is Aaliyah. She seems to be getting a fire under her. Choosing between Dorka or her right now is simple as Dorka is playing well, but if Aaliyah begins to really assert herself and produce, it’ll be interesting. We need a banger down low and she’s the closest thing we have right now (still would like to see if Deberry could do this). UConn needs to do a better job of having the guards deliver to the bigs when they are open
There will be no need to choose between Dorka and Aaliyah in the low post. They will self-regulate their minutes through their fouling.

In the high post, I see Amari as Liv's backup, and that is how Geno appeared to be using her in her 3 minutes against Louisville. But she needs to see the high-low pass when it is there to be made. I think her failure to feed Dorka on the play that Rebecca commented on (where Dorka yelled at Amari as they were headed back on defense) is one reason why Amari's minutes were so limited in that game.

Reaction Score
I want to see if Ducharme continues her scoring now that she is getting playing time. If she continues to produce, it’s crazy not to have her starting, and I’d easily swap CW or EW for her. If picking between CW or EW, I don’t know, maybe I’d go with CW for her defense contribution but I like Evina’s rebounding too.
Who else would Geno start? All the bench players (assuming EW, CW and CD start) are post players. Caroline will likely be in the starting lineup for a long time. The only time Geno would have a conundrum for picking starters is once Fudd comes back, and I doubt she will be ready to go gangbusters right away. Once both Muhl/Fudd come back, I would be shocked if they aren't counted as bench depth for starting PG Evina SG Williams and SF Ducharme.

Reaction Score
IF AND WHEN, are the big questions. But in retrospect, we were banged up from the get-go, just waiting to go down, and down they went. We learned that everyone currently injured, and unavailable had a nagging problem that hadn't healed. All the hoopla over their hoopgurlz rankings needed an asterisk (if uninjured). Azzi and Griffin were walking wounded, Nika was an accident waiting to happen, Evina appeared fragile and Paige needed to go hard for too long to keep us in the games. How long before these players truly heal is the question. Wishing and hoping can't accelerate that timetable.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm inclined to focus on next year, the beauty of which being some of our problems will be resolved by time and not require a hard call by Geno. He, God bless him, is still going to play for this year and I'm sure he remember's Diana's failure in her freshman NCAA. Funny thing is it's seniors who are acting like freshman and that is hardly something new. I will say that the Massachusetts Marauder should stay in the line up and when Geno goes for a One Big lineup that big should be Dorka. With Paige back with her skills CW should steady up a bit and get double digits in scoring in a lot of league games and she is a good defender.

sun

Reaction Score
The Big East games will provide plenty of opportunity for PT to keep everyone healthy.
But the tough games are going to present a challenge to the seniors to start producing more points or it will reflect poorly on their WNBA draft potential.

I doubt that Geno is going to put their draft considerations above their UConn point production.
All of the seniors need to learn how to produce more points in the big games or their additional minutes will become liabilities.
Geno may not call them out in public, but I'll bet that he's wound up over it.
Single digit scoring is not a recipe to get ahead in a game unless someone is making a lot of assists.
Geno doesn't want to play catch up BB and have upset endings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom