Once again, idiotic clock managment by P. | The Boneyard

Once again, idiotic clock managment by P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He extended the first half to try to get the ball back deep in his own territory with under a minute left? Just plain stupid.

Besides the fact the punt returner fumbled. What if it worked perfectly and we got the ball at our own 20 with 40 seconds left? That would have given us a much better chance at a disaster than to score. What a dunce.

Reaction Score
I would've preferred he let the clock run down as well. If you want to go for a punt block, that's fine. But no way should a true frosh who has struggled with confidence fielding punts be put in the position he was. You tell Lemelle once the ball is kicked run into the stands away from the ball. Nothing good comes from fielding that punt at the 10. Nearly a disaster. Coaching.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was the hit on that punt not helmet to helmet? It looked like it at full speed to me.

Reaction Score
At that point of the game we had all the momentum, timeouts in our pocket and the crowd in a frenzy. Yes, let's take the air out of the balloon and put our aggressiveness on check for the 2d half. Lets tell the O I have no confidence in your ability to create 2 drives in one game so lets get out of here with a 7 point lead, I have no dount we'll retain over the next 30 mins against a ranked opponent.

I get it, you don't like the coach, but this. IMHO, is nickpicking at its best. I loved the aggressiveness from a staff I typically find conservative to a fault.

Reaction Score
There is aggressiveness then there is duncery. Lamelle acted like punts were radioactive in week two, after a crucial fumble in game one. It didn't feel good to me when he was doing it and the fumble confirmed my worst fear.

In fairness, on a couple of the returns Lamelle looked good, but it is clear his confidence was shaken BY the week one fumble.

Reaction Score
Mounting a drive from your 20 with 30 seconds left and no TOs when you have the lead is NOT a lack of aggression.

In fact, I can't even remember the last time ANY coach has tried that.

Reaction Score
At that point of the game we had all the momentum, timeouts in our pocket and the crowd in a frenzy. Yes, let's take the air out of the balloon and put our aggressiveness on check for the 2d half. Lets tell the O I have no confidence in your ability to create 2 drives in one game so lets get out of here with a 7 point lead, I have no dount we'll retain over the next 30 mins against a ranked opponent.

I get it, you don't like the coach, but this. IMHO, is nickpicking at its best. I loved the aggressiveness from a staff I typically find conservative to a fault.

I don't find it nitpicking at all. It's dumb to think you're going to score from deep in your territory with no TO's left. It's a simple risk/reward proposition. If you go for the block fine. But Lamelle should've been as close to that ball as I was.

Reaction Score
If you are going to call timeout there, why wait 20 seconds before doing so? Either call it right away or let them run the clock. By waiting that long you put the worst case scenario in play. It was a brutal decision.

Reaction Score
the stupidity in that decision was three-fold. 1) you don't wait 20 seconds to call the time out; 2) if you decide to call time out, then you go all out to block the punt (they set up for a return); 3) you do not attempt to field the punt inside your own 20 yard line

Honestly, it was so stupid I couldn't believe it. Then I remembered who made the call. As my Michigan fan friend texted me during the game "geez, Pasqualoni looks like an older, frailer Synder, but without any confidence in what is happening on the field"

Reaction Score
Surprised it took that long for someone to mention the real mistake.

The mistake wasn't the aggressiveness, it was the 27 seconds he let run off the clock after the sack that made it 3rd and 20.

He should have called the timeout early, went for the block, and told Mack (take Lemelle out) fair catch the ball unless it's inside the 10, then just get away from it.

A minute is plenty of time to go 50-60 yards for a field goal attempt in college football.

Reaction Score

Michigan was at the 40. They had a better chance to score than us. The TO gave them time to regroup. Making them punt had only one outcome, putting us deep in our own territory.

If Michigan was at their own 20, hat would have been different, But the idea that we were going to get aggressive from our 20 in 40 seconds. Absurd.

Reaction Score
Ironic that the first time I can remember PP using time outs at the end of the first half almost costs us. Dumb call that is just another note on Warde's pad.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Yes, this was just another mind blowingly stupid decision. He has no pulse on the game. You have a lead and a chacne to go risk free in to halftime as a prohibitive favorite, and you introduce risk with a freshman punt returner in a all risk, no reward situation. What, are we gonna drive down the field in 25 seconds??? Just retahhded. Sorry.

Reaction Score
I overheard PP say to Lamelle, "Catch the punt and we'll still have enough time to throw deep into triple coverage. Since we're due a make-up call for pass interference, Chad can then try a 61 yard field goal as the half runs out".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom