On to the next one... NC State | The Boneyard

On to the next one... NC State

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
got the w and now its on to nc state... i am really looking forward to this game... love the garden, the crowd will hopefully be 70/30 uconn and gtown plays before us, should be a great night

Reaction Score
NC State has six 10 ppg scorers vs 3 for us. That could be a problem. I think we will be in trouble if one of Boat/Calhoun/Bazz has a bad game, but you can say that for any game we play. I think NC State will be #24 and we will be #25 to drum up a little more hype for the game. I expect to win though. MSG, national TV, ranked opponent. Should be ready to play.

This crew is 7-2 at MSG, I have faith.

Reaction Score
Bazz can't come out fooling around, I hope the magnitude of the game and the fact that is in the Garden has him charged up, none of this deferring nonsense.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I like the optimism, but that game last night was bad against a bad team. Our "bigs" had trouble with the one UNH big and SN was totally taken out of the game. The team seemed uncertain and lethargic.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I like the optimism, but that game last night was bad against a bad team. Our "bigs" had trouble with the one UNH big and SN was totally taken out of the game. The team seemed uncertain and lethargic.
The team had some positive moments as a group and when it did you could see potential. There were also some positive moments by individuals. The problem with yesterdays game was that those moments were too intermittent and not by multiple players at the same time.

For instance, excluding the time in which Nolan and EW were in the game at the same time, the defensive intensity was terrific in this game. Unfortunately a couple of players had significant lapses that allowed for NH to keep coming back in the game. In the middle of the second half when UConn went up by 12, DD was slow to get out to his player or didn't have his hands extended. He was torched for 8 points. And he was pulled by KO which is why he didn't play for most of the end of the 2nd half.

In the first half TO got a quick first foul. EW was put in and the guy played Brontosaurus defense. He lasted about three minutes before he was replaced by Nolan. In the second half TO couldn't keep players in front of him and EW was put in. This was for the majority of the half when TO only had two or three fouls. And the EW of the second half actually neutralize the NH center far more than TO.

So the problem is with consistency. Not unexpected with a relatively inexperienced team with so many changes, lack of talent and lack of depth.

Funny thing is I'm not looking at the close games with supposed cupcakes and thinking KO is a lousy coach. I'm looking at the players he was handed, watching how he substitutes players and handles them and thinking this guy is doing an incredible job. He has a banged up car that doesn't look pretty, has cylinders in the engine that are missing and he still manages to get the car to finish ahead of his opponent.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The team had some positive moments as a group and when it did you could see potential. There were also some positive moments by individuals. The problem with yesterdays game was that those moments were too intermittent and not by multiple players at the same time.

For instance, excluding the time in which Nolan and EW were in the game at the same time, the defensive intensity was terrific in this game. Unfortunately a couple of players had significant lapses that allowed for NH to keep coming back in the game. In the middle of the second half when UConn went up by 12, DD was slow to get out to his player or didn't have his hands extended. He was torched for 8 points. And he was pulled by KO which is why he didn't play for most of the end of the 2nd half.

In the first half TO got a quick first foul. EW was put in and the guy played Brontosaurus defense. He lasted about three minutes before he was replaced by Nolan. In the second half TO couldn't keep players in front of him and EW was put in. This was for the majority of the half when TO only had two or three fouls. And the EW of the second half actually neutralize the NH center far more than TO.

So the problem is with consistency. Not unexpected with a relatively inexperienced team with so many changes, lack of talent and lack of depth.

Funny thing is I'm not looking at the close games with supposed cupcakes and thinking KO is a lousy coach. I'm looking at the players he was handed, watching how he substitutes players and handles them and thinking this guy is doing an incredible job. He has a banged up car that doesn't look pretty, has cylinders in the engine that are missing and he still manages to get the car to finish ahead of his opponent.

I totally agree on the vehicle KO was handed and that is one reason why I think he should be given a long term deal. What could have been the entire starting front court left school and the bodies there to replace them have either or all of lack of experience, bulk, and quickness. As I said, our interior guys were abused by a run of the mill strong kid. That is a tough problem to overcome with this personnel. Also, Evans is pretty important to this group and I think not having him hurts quite a bit, especially in games like yesterday. Given those issues, this team can't afford to be as disjointed and lethargic as they seemed to be yesterday, with the disjointed part and lousy shot selection being the big problem.

caw

Reaction Score
I'm not saying UConn will 100% win, NCST will likely be favored, but it's not like NCST has looked like world beaters this year. They are athletic though.

OKST destroyed them, UNCA only lost by 2. Michigan won a game that ended fairly close but where NCST didn't have a lead after the first 5 minutes and was down double digits most of the second half.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I totally agree on the vehicle KO was handed and that is one reason why I think he should be given a long term deal. What could have been the entire starting front court left school and the bodies there to replace them have either or all of lack of experience, bulk, and quickness. As I said, our interior guys were abused by a run of the mill strong kid. That is a tough problem to overcome with this personnel. Also, Evans is pretty important to this group and I think not having him hurts quite a bit, especially in games like yesterday. Given those issues, this team can't afford to be as disjointed and lethargic as they seemed to be yesterday, with the disjointed part and lousy shot selection being the big problem.
They really have to maximize what they have. The problem as you know is that if a four cylinder car is only running on three cylinders those cylinders often can't make up for the missing one in getting optimum performance. Furthermore those three remaining cylinders burn out quicker having to make up for the missing one. Players on a basketball team are very much like the mechanical works of an engine with the added disadvantage that they are aware of the missing part unlike the dumb remaining cylinders in the engine who have no clue why things are happening and therefore are not distracted by events.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
They really have to maximize what they have. The problem as you know is that if a four cylinder car is only running on three cylinders those cylinders often can't make up for the missing one in getting optimum performance. Furthermore those three remaining cylinders burn out quicker having to make up for the missing one. Players on a basketball team are very much like the mechanical works of an engine with the added disadvantage that they are aware of the missing part unlike the dumb remaining cylinders in the engine who have no clue why things are happening and therefore are not distracted by events.

BTW, what I always find fascinating - and we see it an awful lot - we recruit certain kids who have big time jump shooting resumes and some kid playing for East Podunk U, comes in and makes our kids look like duffers. The kid from UNH who scored 20 or so had a sweet looking stroke. I don't know how he plays day in and day out, but you see someone like that and wonder why some kids get a lot of press and other kids just play the game. I think sometimes recruiters at the high major level get too involved with looking at kids who, maybe subconsciously, they think have pro potential and overlook kids who can just be real solid college players. Not saying the kids they recruit should be disregarded, just seems like there are a lot of kids who either can flat out shoot or are monster rebounders who wind up at lesser programs for whatever reason - size, speed - but with the right group of teammates can add a lot to a team. RJ Evans seems to be that kind of player.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
BTW, what I always find fascinating - and we see it an awful lot - we recruit certain kids who have big time jump shooting resumes and some kid playing for East Podunk U, comes in and makes our kids look like duffers. The kid from UNH who scored 20 or so had a sweet looking stroke. I don't know how he plays day in and day out, but you see someone like that and wonder why some kids get a lot of press and other kids just play the game. I think sometimes recruiters at the high major level get too involved with looking at kids who, maybe subconsciously, they think have pro potential and overlook kids who can just be real solid college players. Not saying the kids they recruit should be disregarded, just seems like there are a lot of kids who either can flat out shoot or are monster rebounders who wind up at lesser programs for whatever reason - size, speed - but with the right group of teammates can add a lot to a team. RJ Evans seems to be that kind of player.
Good points about players who end up in mid majors and turn out to be great.

Recruiting doesn't factor in lots of things particularly late developers.

If a kid can make threes at the high school level but not at college is it because of the one foot difference? I could see this for a smaller player like RB. Furthermore does the dimensionally longer court at the college level affect some players shooting. Do the mega arenas vs. the high school gym impact some players more than others both in their ability to see the rims and the factor of pressure playing under the big lights. Some players can make the transition better than others. Outside of the top ten to twenty kids recruiting is probably just as much art as science. And even those twenty premier players things aren't always a given. It makes me appreciate the success of JC even more because we can point to a lot of his misses but the overall body of his work is proof of his genius.

Reaction Score
Bazz shows up and we're in the game. Shot 10-22 3's we can win, shot 1-14 we very likely lose. Giff and Nolan 1-9 we lose, make half shots we're in it. Shoot Ft's at 18/27 rate hard to win, if at 39/45 rate will be in it. Offense has been per game 66,67,71,61(without OT), 60L,73,61. Looks like Uconn can put up mid 60's to low 70's per game; need to make that enough to win. NCS has scored 97, 72, 94, 56L, 82, 72L so they seem to have offensive team that will put pressure on Uconn to keep up scoring wise. Out rebounded by 15 when scored only 56.
This will be a good game to see how players (and coaching) is progressing. See lot of upside for almost all players (unfortunately see most of it coming in mid term rather than right around the corner); key to this game to me is Bazz putting team on his back from tip off and making everyone elses offensive game easier - when in doubt Bazz please penetrate/shoot.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Bazz can't come out fooling around, I hope the magnitude of the game and the fact that is in the Garden has him charged up, none of this deferring nonsense.
Agreed. I think they know how big this game is going forward. I hope the energy from the UConn crowd at the garden gets the pumped and their heads straight

Reaction Score
NC State has six 10 ppg scorers vs 3 for us. That could be a problem. I think we will be in trouble if one of Boat/Calhoun/Bazz has a bad game, but you can say that for any game we play. I think NC State will be #24 and we will be #25 to drum up a little more hype for the game. I expect to win though. MSG, national TV, ranked opponent. Should be ready to play.

This crew is 7-2 at MSG, I have faith.

If they put all 6 on the floor at once I can almost guaranty it will be a problem.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I just hope we show up for the big games. Wolf has been playing well I think we need him to step up defensively.

Reaction Score
Hope all the "Uconn's offense needs xxxxxxxxx" guys have watched the 1st half of Tenn vs. Georgetown. Never mind shooting 33 % from 3's, these teams couldn't shoot 33% from 2's. Average, and even above average players can play really, really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom