On To Spring Recruiting | The Boneyard

On To Spring Recruiting

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
With the season suddenly at an end, the spring recruiting window is now open. What do you think our most pressing need is and where do our best chances stand at landing a quality kid or 2.
Will AG call it a career and open up another scholarship or will we be looking for a big only.
I'm more interested in what you folks think than what I do.
Only 7+ months until tip off.

Reaction Score
Because everything on the internet is accurate;)

Reaction Score
I hope it works out that our roster stays as it is, but, I figure the chances are 20%.

If Alterique decides to move on, I think we want to limit our risk of having too little depth at point guard. A Gaffney sprained ankle like last preseason, or a game missed with a concussion protocol, and we'd be down to 1 pure point guard. I think the team is best positioned with a third guard capable and comfortable playing the point. More than shooting, I would value not turning the ball over under defensive trapping backcourt pressure, and, hitting foul shots down the stretch in close games at 80% ish. I think next year we may have small leads in the closing minutes of games that we need to protect. Russell, Aikens, ...

If a second roster spot opens, I'd like to hit a frontcourt home run to maximize the potential of a team that might only have Bouknight and Jackson playing together for 1 year. I think the sky is the limit for the team with enough other pieces. I think Sanogo is the only player I have seen so far in the 2021 class that I am sold would provide a talent upgrade to our current roster if he reclassed. The JUCO 6'11 Mading interests me because of his apparent motor, and, his SF skills at 6'11 which I think could create matchup problems for other teams. I think his style offers Hurley another way to gameplan. In stretches, a line up of a PG, Bouknight, Jackson, Mading, and Whaley intrigues me.

In terms of impact for next season, I am less enthusiastic about either Etienne or Santos reclassifying. Both might be good future investments for a second spot but I think Etienne's doubts about whether he is quite ready are well founded. I like that he has a scoring mentality in the frontcourt and he has some range, but he misses as many first attempts around the basket as Carlton. I see Etienne as a solid long term complimentary player. With Santos, I really think Hurley would have to decide that he could get Santos to play much harder. He can shoot well, I have seen him make an athletic play, but he doesn't automatically play with any obvious effort. From what I have seen streaming a couple of games live,; Guarding a chair, maybe, if it's not a rolling chair. I will be properly supportive of either if that's the way Hurley goes.

Keep in mind Sid hit a big pressure 3 to send Wichita State to OT and can jump to the moon. I'm routing for him to stay and progress.

Reaction Score
Have to figure Sid is likely going to give up and move on. I also think Gilbert is done. He might stick around as a grad coach but I don't see him playing anymore unless he goes overseas.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
IMO - due to this virus panic and the cancellation of everything sports - AG will be back to get a taste of post season play - if he is going to play anywhere it will be with UConn

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Have to figure Sid is likely going to give up and move on. I also think Gilbert is done. He might stick around as a grad coach but I don't see him playing anymore unless he goes overseas.
Why would Alterique stay around as a grad coach? He has three better options than this, one of which is actually playing on next years team.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
we have insufficient knowledge to even speculate. what if this years' seniors are allowed to return because of an ncaa decision? then, it's a whole new kettle of fish. we would certainly bring cv back, which would then trigger a new reality on the ag thing. jes' sayin'....

Reaction Score
If travel restrictions prevail, recruit via Webex, Skype, text, whatever. We need to keep our train going.

Reaction Score
I think we have 2 scholarships open up and we land Fatts and Mac.

That would make us a top 15 team. A backcourt of Cole and Gaffney with Fatts and Adams off the bench. A wing including Bouknight, Jackson, and Polley. Then a front court of Whaley, Springs, Carlton, Javonte, and Etienne. Legit top 15 team. Depth at every spot.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That would make us a top 15 team. A backcourt of Cole and Gaffney with Fatts and Adams off the bench. A wing including Bouknight, Jackson, and Polley. Then a front court of Whaley, Springs, Carlton, Javonte, and Etienne. Legit top 15 team. Depth at every spot.
There's no way Fatts comes off the bench. Much more likely we go with Fatts-Cole-Bouk in this scenario.

Reaction Score
They’d be a force to be reckoned with if that happens. However, Fatts ain’t transferring somewhere to come off the bench. He was one of the top guards in the nation this past season, he’s starting if he’s transferring to a new school, including here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom