On to Columbus | The Boneyard

On to Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, after vanquishing the Orange, the next stop is the Ohio Sate Buckeyes on Saturday. Currently 7-1 and playing a close game with powerhouse Florida Atlantic right now. Receiving votes in the poll. Anyone seen them this year? Matchups?

I really think that if the pup Huskies can score a win on the road, they can get on a roll until at least Georgetown. Ohio State faces #2 UCLA after us, so it could be a trap game for them.

H

huskymagic

If we play with the same intensity that we did against the Cuse and we have the same type of ball movement, we will beat Ohio State. We have more talent and a higher upside, and I think the team has been playing better and last night was a big boost in confidence for the guys especially for Rodney and Kentan. Even Durham got 2 nice baskets from the foul line. I like our chances.

Reaction Score
They were actually up 16 on Virginia in the second half. Talent stopped them from winning that game. I think we'll have a field day if we can knock in some shots.

Reaction Score
If we play with the same intensity that we did against the Cuse and we have the same type of ball movement, we will beat Ohio State. We have more talent and a higher upside, and I think the team has been playing better and last night was a big boost in confidence for the guys especially for Rodney and Kentan. Even Durham got 2 nice baskets from the foul line. I like our chances.
It's amazing to me that at this point in their careers anyone would have the expectation that something Rodney and Kentan did in a game would carry over to the next game. Here's to hoping though.

Reaction Score
It's amazing to me that at this point in their careers anyone would have the expectation that something Rodney and Kentan did in a game would carry over to the next game. Here's to hoping though.
Exactly. Both players are as consistently inconsistent as they come and they've been that way since they stepped on campus. Here's to hoping they continue to build on their success though I am fully prepared for Rodney to shoot 2-9 (1-5 from 3) and KF to have 2 pts, 2 rb, 4 fouls following their great performances.

Reaction Score
Should be fun to watch the board go back to nuclear meltdown mode if we lose handily, which is the most likely scenario. We're still terrible.
You must be a joy at parties. What's your deal?

H

huskymagic

Hope is a good thing!

Reaction Score
You must be a joy at parties. What's your deal?
My deal is that I try to be realistic about the team instead of swinging from the manic depressive pendulum on which 80% of this board exists.

If Syracuse had thown in a 3 at the buzzer last night huskymagic would be on here crying about how Ollie is destroying everything good about UConn basketball and insisting that he needs to be fired.

Instead, we won by 2 so now it's realistic to go on the road and beat a Big Ten team. If that doesn't happen, he'll be back here complaining because the team won't have met his expectation, an expectation that was never realistic in the first place.

Reaction Score
Hope is a good thing!

Hey, how about you shut the duck* up and go back to creating your lists of coaches that should replace Ollie. There were some real gems on your last one.

Reaction Score
My deal is that I try to be realistic about the team instead of swinging from the manic depressive pendulum on which 80% of this board exists.

If Syracuse had thown in a 3 at the buzzer last night huskymagic would be on here crying about how Ollie is destroying everything good about UConn basketball and insisting that he needs to be fired.

Instead, we won by 2 so now it's realistic to go on the road and beat a Big Ten team. If that doesn't happen, he'll be back here complaining because the team won't have met his expectation, an expectation that was never realistic in the first place.
There's a difference between being realistic and being a downer. We're coming off of what will probably be our most satisfying win of the year, live a little.

Reaction Score
There's a difference between being realistic and being a downer. We're coming off of what will probably be our most satisfying win of the year, live a little.
Lol, it never even occured to me that pointing out Purvis and Facey can't be counted on to be consistent would be considered a downer. It's just a blantently obvious reality at this point. Sorry if I'm bumming you out though.

Reaction Score
Lol, it never even occured to me that pointing out Purvis and Facey can't be counted on to be consistent would be considered a downer. It's just a blantently obvious reality at this point. Sorry if I'm bumming you out though.
You're right it is the reality. I didn't say you were wrong, but you're clearly on a mission to crash everybody's high. There's no sense arguing with you, I'll just enjoy the ride like everybody else.

Reaction Score
Just lost to Florida Atlantic at home on a last second shot in OT

Reaction Score
The team still looked inept on offense to me. I'm not sure I see a big reason to expect we beat OSU. Until Durham comes into his own I think we are pretty screwed if Purvis or Adams doesn't have a career night.

But hey, I'll be screaming at my TV on Saturday like my life depends on the win anyway.

H

huskymagic

Hey, how about you shut the duck* up and go back to creating your lists of coaches that should replace Ollie. There were some real gems on your last one.

Look at you getting all feisty and worked up about a list someone else created. Always overestimate and oversell your capabilities as that is what brings excitement and motivation especially for a program like ours. We don't need a voice of reason after every win telling the rest of us how to not to be reactionary. Given our conference situation my constant motivation aka criticism as well as others is needed to keep us from fading to mediocrity and irrelevance. If we were in a major conference I along with most of us would not care one bit about early losses to Wagner or Northeastern, but we are not and therefore we need to be extra vigilant. Do I think we should beat Ohio St? Yes. However losing to Ohio St is not a failure of any sorts like losing back to back home games to Wagner and Northeastern were and are.

P.S. We're UCONN and its early still, and our goal should not be lets hope to make the NIT, but let's get our guys fired up to play like they are capable and make the NCAA tournament and go win some games.

Reaction Score
Look at you getting all feisty and worked up about a list someone else created. Always overestimate and oversell your capabilities as that is what brings excitement and motivation especially for a program like ours. We don't need a voice of reason after every win telling the rest of us how to not to be reactionary. Given our conference situation my constant motivation aka criticism as well as others is needed to keep us from fading to mediocrity and irrelevance. If we were in a major conference I along with most of us would not care one bit about early losses to Wagner or Northeastern, but we are not and therefore we need to be extra vigilant. Do I think we should beat Ohio St? Yes. However losing to Ohio St is not a failure of any sorts like losing back to back home games to Wagner and Northeastern were and are.

P.S. We're UCONN and its early still, and our goal should not be lets hope to make the NIT, but let's get our guys fired up to play like they are capable and make the NCAA tournament and go win some games.
I'd have to try real hard to find one sentence in this post that isn't completely delusional.

Even someone on your level of stupid can't possibly think this board would not care about losing to Wagner and Northeastern if we were in a major conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The team still looked inept on offense to me. I'm not sure I see a big reason to expect we beat OSU. Until Durham comes into his own I think we are pretty screwed if Purvis or Adams doesn't have a career night.

But hey, I'll be screaming at my TV on Saturday like my life depends on the win anyway.

I'll disagree with this strongly. They ran very good zone busting offense. Players flashing to the high post, guards attacking the seems, it was very good. There was much better movement off the ball. Now, they missed a dozen easy shots, making it look ugly as hell. But for the first time all year they ran good offense most of the game. With a lead late they played like crud.

Reaction Score
I'll disagree with this strongly. They ran very good zone busting offense. Players flashing to the high post, guards attacking the seems, it was very good. There was much better movement off the ball. Now, they missed a dozen easy shots, making it look ugly as hell. But for the first time all year they ran good offense most of the game. With a lead late they played like crud.

I think they are running better offense, too! The ball movement and penetration has been worlds better against the zone, which they seem to play against more often than not these days. They are making better decisions with the ball, every time Purvis or Adams resists the urge to go hurtling into a crowd or second guesses a bad pass I know the coaching staff is getting through to them over the last 30 days. But we still don't have a consistent scorer. I only meant that despite the improvements, we still have serious offensive flaws, and those continue to be exposed each game.

Our two scorers right now are Adams and Purvis. Neither one has been able to show up and put the ball through the hoop consistently. Adams looked like a stud channeling Kemba in Maui when we were down by 20 and the games were out of reach, but he still has a ways to go before he is the guy that can lead a team like Kemba or Shabazz for a whole season. Probably 1-2 years. So he needs a lot of help right now.

We all know Purvis is flawed. He can't be the leading scorer on a team that wins big games against great competition. He can't create offense consistently enough. He just doesn't have the tools to be the ball handler he needs to be to run the offense through him. He can knock down threes, and make the occasional drive. But that's what he should be focused on. He's not Ray Allen, and he won't ever be. So we have two solid guards that can score in bunches, but usually don't. Both have drawbacks, but if they can work together well, it may start clicking. That's a decent start. And as the seasons goes on, Vital will continue to become a nice third piece of the back court puzzle that could be really effective. But even when that's all working, that's not enough to win big games... unless Adams becomes a Kemba like god for the last 12 or so games. But that's a year or two off still.

So that leads us to the big hole in our offense that needs to be closed for this to work. The front court and wings. Someone there needs to grow up offensively. It won't be Brimah. But he can get more lobs as the ball movement improves more. It might be Facey or Enoch. But it doesn't seem too likely. They could both get 6ish a night and that would be a good role for them. But Durham. That could be the guy that makes this a team to into a real contender if he can figure out how to score 10-15 PPG by the end of the year as a 3 or 4. Or even a 5.

But until those pieces come together. We're still 8 guys that are very much figuring out how to play offense. Getting better. But still pretty bad right now. Getting pretty good at defense though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom