On the Importance of Practice for this year's Team | The Boneyard

On the Importance of Practice for this year's Team

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Notwithstanding Allen Iverson’s impassioned diatribe about practice, it is difficult to imagine a time in college basketball when practice was more important. Since the premature end of last season, until recently, players have largely been on their own, with no 5x5 or 3x3 basketball, and the official start of this season still a question mark. Yesterday we learned that the start of the season may be pushed back to November 25 by the NCAA. There is also some interest for playing a WNBA style bubble season during the winter break. Some conferences like the Pac-12 and Ivy League have postponed all sports through the end of the calendar year. In a “worst case” scenario, there will be no college basketball during the 2020-21 season.

The initial challenge is something mostly out of the players control. The University of Connecticut students, faculty and staff, must adhere to the health and safety protocols designed to control community spread of the virus, lest UConn goes the route of UNC by sending everyone home. As of yesterday, UConn’s total number of Covid-19 cases stood at 76, with 53 individuals in isolation and 23 having recovered. While any number of cases is cause for concern, so far UConn has dodged a bullet while other universities have seen positive cases spike to 1,000 or more. The really good news for UConn is that the state of Connecticut has done an admirable job of driving down the infection rate, thereby limiting the potential for community spread. Yesterday, the entire state reported only 127 new cases and 1 unfortunate death.

With all the uncertainty surrounding the start of college basketball, players and coaches must control what they can control, and that is simply their motivation, attention to detail and effort during practice, whether it is organized under the coaches purview, or run by the players themselves. Specifically, relative to UConn WBB, there are both advantages and disadvantages present.

On the plus side, UConn recruits highly motivated and intelligent young ladies. As Geno has stated many times, “We don’t teach effort at UConn.” In addition, there is no college staff that does a better job at developing players and preparing them to compete at the highest level. The downside is simply that this year’s UConn team is one of the youngest ever with 1 RS senior, 2 juniors, 2 sophomores and 6 freshmen. As always, leadership will be a critical component in the development of UConn WBB. UConn’s 3 captains, Christyn, Liv and Evina will have their work cut out for them to keep everyone focused. But UConn WBB has always had an abundance of leaders. I have no doubt, in short order, if not already, a number of younger players will assume leadership roles on this team. Is there any question that the kid from Minnetonka will be one of the leaders of this team?

The immediate goal is to get to this season, however this season ultimately pans out, prepared to compete at the highest level. UConn WBB may be better suited at controlling what they can control than any other team in college basketball, and that means how they practice. Through all the pain and uncertainty that we have experienced as a nation, I continue to hold on to the belief that we will come through this, and BY’ers everywhere will once again rejoice in the pure beauty and dominance of UConn WBB. I look forward to seeing everyone at the Mohegan Sun for the Big East tournament in March.

Reaction Score
Nice positive and optimistic post, thank you. Here is hoping that a miracle will happen and we will be back to normality. May be a vaccine for covid 19, available to all at a flu shot cost and delivery. Cannot imagine how hard it is for all coaches and players everywhere but particularly for a storied program like UConn-WBB.

Reaction Score
One obstacle is the absence of male practice players. Who is there to challenge the starters? Especially when there are but 4 returnees. IMO in order to become a championship level team they need to practice against superior players, not talented but inexperienced freshmen.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One other comment on controlling what you can control. In addition to practice, UConn’s players must be disciplined about how they interact with other students as well as the surrounding community. I’m sure that Geno has emphasized the importance of following health and safety protocols as a means of supporting their teammates. No doubt CD has been tasked with reinforcing these personal behaviors as she has always done. Woe onto the player who incurs CD’s wrath by failing to adhere to the guidelines.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One obstacle is the absence of male practice players. Who is there to challenge the starters? Especially when there are but 4 returnees. IMO in order to become a championship level team they need to practice against superior players, not talented but inexperienced freshmen.

I assume this is true for all programs?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unless I’m mistaken, male practice players only take part once official practices start up in October. At this point in time, we don’t really know whether or not UConn will employ male practice players this season.

Reaction Score
Alydar, is that a definite? Is it a new rule that has been implemented or an outgrowth of the Covid?

Reaction Score
One other comment on controlling what you can control. In addition to practice, UConn’s players must be disciplined about how they interact with other students as well as the surrounding community. I’m sure that Geno has emphasized the importance of following health and safety protocols as a means of supporting their teammates. No doubt CD has been tasked with reinforcing these personal behaviors as she has always done. Woe onto the player who incurs CD’s wrath by failing to adhere to the guidelines.
Oldude, I would not be surprised if CD has not devised some type of moveable bubble for each one of the players that allows them to interact with each other and other students while removing them from any danger.

Reaction Score
Alydar, is that a definite? Is it a new rule that has been implemented or an outgrowth of the Covid?

I'm not aware of any rule but these are ordinary students, attending classes, mixing with the general student population in dinning halls and bathrooms and then coming in very close physical contact with the team several times a week. Given the cavalier attitude of so many students around the country towards COVID it's hard to see anything but a disaster.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not aware of any rule but these are ordinary students, attending classes, mixing with the general student population in dinning halls and bathrooms and then coming in very close physical contact with the team several times a week. Given the cavalier attitude of so many students around the country towards COVID it's hard to see anything but a disaster.
These kids are also on work-study as practice players, which is a pretty good gig, getting paid to play basketball every day. They are honored at senior day, and while not exactly full fledged members of the team, I would be surprised if they behaved irresponsibly, putting the team at risk.

Reaction Score
For years, I have noted the downside of not having a 11-12 person team relative to practice options. Appreciate the practice players, but having two squads that can push and motivate each other is ideal. Love the mix of players we have this year with depth at each position. Most practices will be more competitive than the league games.

Reaction Score
For years, I have noted the downside of not having a 11-12 person team relative to practice options. Appreciate the practice players, but having two squads that can push and motivate each other is ideal. Love the mix of players we have this year with depth at each position. Most practices will be more competitive than the league games.

Funny but Geno stated in the past that a large squad can be a problem when practice has to be constantly stopped to instruct end of bench players on simple things.
And practicing against the subs will not prepare a team for the Stanfords and S Carolinas of wcbb. Starters need to be pushed by players at the same or a higher level. Who is going to push ONO to a higher level in the low post? Gabriel will certainly benefit playing against ONO but it will do little to prepare ONO to play against Boston. I learned in golf that to improve my competitiveness I needed to compete against better players than myself. Playing weaker players didn't help.

Reaction Score
These kids are also on work-study as practice players, which is a pretty good gig, getting paid to play basketball every day. They are honored at senior day, and while not exactly full fledged members of the team, I would be surprised if they behaved irresponsibly, putting the team at risk.

They may have an incentive but the dorm floor they live on and many of the students they have contact with every day, including room mates, do not.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They may have an incentive but the dorm floor they live on and many of the students they have contact with every day, including room mates, do not.
True. One would hope that the students would follow guidelines so as to increase the chances that there actually is a basketball season. What each person does has an impact. Think globally, act locally.

Reaction Score
Notwithstanding Allen Iverson’s impassioned diatribe about practice, it is difficult to imagine a time in college basketball when practice was more important. Since the premature end of last season, until recently, players have largely been on their own, with no 5x5 or 3x3 basketball, and the official start of this season still a question mark. Yesterday we learned that the start of the season may be pushed back to November 25 by the NCAA. There is also some interest for playing a WNBA style bubble season during the winter break. Some conferences like the Pac-12 and Ivy League have postponed all sports through the end of the calendar year. In a “worst case” scenario, there will be no college basketball during the 2020-21 season.

The initial challenge is something mostly out of the players control. The University of Connecticut students, faculty and staff, must adhere to the health and safety protocols designed to control community spread of the virus, lest UConn goes the route of UNC by sending everyone home. As of yesterday, UConn’s total number of Covid-19 cases stood at 76, with 53 individuals in isolation and 23 having recovered. While any number of cases is cause for concern, so far UConn has dodged a bullet while other universities have seen positive cases spike to 1,000 or more. The really good news for UConn is that the state of Connecticut has done an admirable job of driving down the infection rate, thereby limiting the potential for community spread. Yesterday, the entire state reported only 127 new cases and 1 unfortunate death.

With all the uncertainty surrounding the start of college basketball, players and coaches must control what they can control, and that is simply their motivation, attention to detail and effort during practice, whether it is organized under the coaches purview, or run by the players themselves. Specifically, relative to UConn WBB, there are both advantages and disadvantages present.

On the plus side, UConn recruits highly motivated and intelligent young ladies. As Geno has stated many times, “We don’t teach effort at UConn.” In addition, there is no college staff that does a better job at developing players and preparing them to compete at the highest level. The downside is simply that this year’s UConn team is one of the youngest ever with 1 RS senior, 2 juniors, 2 sophomores and 6 freshmen. As always, leadership will be a critical component in the development of UConn WBB. UConn’s 3 captains, Christyn, Liv and Evina will have their work cut out for them to keep everyone focused. But UConn WBB has always had an abundance of leaders. I have no doubt, in short order, if not already, a number of younger players will assume leadership roles on this team. Is there any question that the kid from Minnetonka will be one of the leaders of this team?

The immediate goal is to get to this season, however this season ultimately pans out, prepared to compete at the highest level. UConn WBB may be better suited at controlling what they can control than any other team in college basketball, and that means how they practice. Through all the pain and uncertainty that we have experienced as a nation, I continue to hold on to the belief that we will come through this, and BY’ers everywhere will once again rejoice in the pure beauty and dominance of UConn WBB. I look forward to seeing everyone at the Mohegan Sun for the Big East tournament in March.
With plasma treatments [recovered CoViD-19 patients being extremely willing to contribute their plasma as a celebration of their dominance over the virus] already on the front lines in this battle, and 3 vaccines in phase 3 trials as well as in production [hedged bets financed by the federal government], so which ever (or all) meet the requirements for efficacy, the vaccine(s) will be at hospitals and clinics soon [my estimated vaccine administration date: 10/15/2020, based on reading between the lines on peer-reviewed research and progress reports; stay away from company press releases, and media sources....] The first 30 million doses will be given on priority set by the CDC and distributed through the FEMA "Air Bridge," so they will be fully utilized as they are picked up by FEMA and delivered overnight.

Being a military organization [Army/Navy/Air Force & their Reserve Air Wings including National Guard] that provides the "Air Bridge" distribution, those states who are efficient and effective in their forecasting and reporting of completion and forecasting when they will be out of vaccine to the hour and minute will be best served. Being a served Submarine Element Coordinator with Aircraft Carrier Battle Group Operations, I have working with the "Air Bridge" and they work BEST when the difficulty is HIGHEST. There is no higher priority than saving civilian lives, as they [the civilians] did not sign up for dying. The military folk know the risk, and will take it on themselves to ensure those around them survive and thrive.
That is why to a man/woman of all those who earned the Congressional Medal of Honor and survived to receive it in person say, "I was just doing my job; anyone else would have done the same."
What Boneyarders can do: if you know people in your State that are in charge of requesting vaccines for your state, encourage them to take the Assistant Surgeon General for Logistics (Office) at their word, do not inflate their needs, and learn how to forecast needs by monitoring they stockpile of vaccines and learn who is really the action officer at each hospital for vaccines (single point of contact {with a back-up - not sharing responsibility, but sharing authority to get the job done} at each node in the distribution will be vital to save lives....
I love you all! Stay Healthy!! Stay Brilliant!!! Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
Funny but Geno stated in the past that a large squad can be a problem when practice has to be constantly stopped to instruct end of bench players on simple things.
And practicing against the subs will not prepare a team for the Stanfords and S Carolinas of wcbb. Starters need to be pushed by players at the same or a higher level. Who is going to push ONO to a higher level in the low post? Gabriel will certainly benefit playing against ONO but it will do little to prepare ONO to play against Boston. I learned in golf that to improve my competitiveness I needed to compete against better players than myself. Playing weaker players didn't help.

Not arguing. But I don't understand the concern here. Unless many top teams can use practice men players and UCONN women cannot?

Otherwise, doesn't it go both ways? So who would the opposing teams have in practice to defend Paige, Evina, CWill and Anna? Isn't this 4 arguably the best combination 4 in wcbb? So the opposing team wouldn't have anyone to practice against this type of perimeter play, would they?

Reaction Score
Not arguing. But I don't understand the concern here. Unless many top teams can use practice men players and UCONN women cannot?

Otherwise, doesn't it go both ways? So who would the opposing teams have in practice to defend Paige, Evina, CWill and Anna? Isn't this 4 arguably the best combination 4 in wcbb? So the opposing team wouldn't have anyone to practice against this type of perimeter play, would they?

I should have stopped after my first sentence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom