On the brighter side Paige passes Stewie | The Boneyard

On the brighter side Paige passes Stewie

Reaction Score
And yet some people say they don't get all the hype about Paige. She showed tonight what she's capable of.
Well, I don’t get the hype because I don’t believe in hype, prove it on the court first and without a doubt she is doing that. She just needs to shed the ‘I want to make my teammates better” persona and give this team what it needs, her to look to score.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Wait until the 20 game split although I am guessing Maya might be in play
Could not wait! After playing in 15 games Paige has 319 points. After playing in 20 games Stewie had 293 points and Maya had 331 points. At the 20 game mark Paige should have 400+ points. Paige is rapidly becoming the best freshman ever in the UCONN program. No ifs, ands, or buts about it! No Dianas, Mayas, or Stewies about it!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, she has played 16 games. How many does she have left? 6 on the schedule. If there is a BE Tournament, that's 3 or four games? The NC tournament, possibly six games. So, a maximum of 32 games?

Reaction Score
I'm a tiny bit disturbed by the emphasis on PB's scoring exploits..............PB is shooting/scoring more then normal because UConn needs her to do that at this point in the season and yet she's not really built to be a pure scorer.............she's a point guard that has the ability to score...........her impact on the team is greatest when she looks to pass first and shoot second if no better shot is available..........too much reliance on any one player to score is going to be a problem in a big game if that one player has an off day, and even a player as great as Paige can have an off day............that's not to say that she shouldn't shoot when she sees an opportunity, I'd just like to see the entire team involved on the offense again before this over reliance on PB permanently changes the entire team dynamic..........if others don't pick up the scoring load UConn most likely won't win an NC this year......

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Great player. But a Husky bone to pick? Calling this on the bright side implies that there is something not bright going on. I must be missing something.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
So, she has played 16 games. How many does she have left? 6 on the schedule. If there is a BE Tournament, that's 3 or four games? The NC tournament, possibly six games. So, a maximum of 32 games?
So, she has played 15 games. Look it up! So she will play a maximum of 31 games.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Great player. But a Husky bone to pick? Calling this on the bright side implies that there is something not bright going on. I must be missing something.
Apparently you missed the Arkansas game (loss) which completed just prior to this post.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm a tiny bit disturbed by the emphasis on PB's scoring exploits..............PB is shooting/scoring more then normal because UConn needs her to do that at this point in the season and yet she's not really built to be a pure scorer.............she's a point guard that has the ability to score...........her impact on the team is greatest when she looks to pass first and shoot second if no better shot is available..........too much reliance on any one player to score is going to be a problem in a big game if that one player has an off day, and even a player as great as Paige can have an off day............that's not to say that she shouldn't shoot when she sees an opportunity, I'd just like to see the entire team involved on the offense again before this over reliance on PB permanently changes the entire team dynamic..........if others don't pick up the scoring load UConn most likely won't win an NC this year......
exactly... how about the minutes played in those games and how many other weapons Stewie had, Stewie didn't have to carry the load. Remember Lobo called her goofy cause she fell down a lot lol. Stewie was awesome hopefully Paige bring a few championships to Connecticut, the 5 yr dought is a long time

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Apparently you missed the Arkansas game (loss) which completed just prior to this post.
Yeah, one loss by a bucket to a ranked is the dark spot. Geno has created a monster.?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, she has played 15 games. Look it up! So she will play a maximum of 31 games.
While technically correct, it's virtually meaningless in terms of season records. There are no season records kept that contain an asterisk indicating how many games the player was available. Does anyone remember if Stewart was available for every minute of every game UConn played her freshman year? don't think so.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
While technically correct, it's virtually meaningless in terms of season records. There are no season records kept that contain an asterisk indicating how many games the player was available. Does anyone remember if Stewart was available for every minute of every game UConn played her freshman year? don't think so.
Rationalization

Reaction Score
How can she not be built to be a pure scorer? As a freshman, she is shooting better from the perimeter than any uconn player in history, she has one of, if not, the best mid range shots, and has shown the ability to finish at the rim, even through contact. She can score from anywhere on the floor at any given time, and does it with some crazy efficiency. She's completely capable of scoring any time regardless of who she is playing with, even with extra defensive attention. For years we called CW a pure scorer, yet she can't score the way Bueckers does...so what makes her a pure scorer? More that her only proficiency is scoring. Bueckers is just an incredible all around talent.

Will agree with you that we can't become a one trick pony, because that will be easier to defend going forward. We need others to step up and hit their open shots, allowing us to capitalize on the passing ability that Bueckers also provides.

Reaction Score
Some say Paige has a better PPG than prior freshmen because the team depends on her scoring more than it did others. The flip side of that is perhaps she encounters more focused defensive attention. Recall how often we credit our team with taking out our opponents best shooter. Page takes that on and still delivers.

Wilderness

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is going to be an interesting problem for the NCAA in terms of career records. Anyone playing on a team this year theoretically can have a five year college career and the few HS players matriculating already will definitely have a 4.5 year career. College records like games played will go out the window. Greene right now is the Uconn record holder because she got a few extra games in her redshirt year but an injured red-shirt player was very limited in number of games they could play and still get their eligibility back, And will Saylor be classified a 'freshman' next year in terms of freshman stats and records - if she is will Paige be as well?

Not sure what individual schools and the NCAA will do regarding their records - it will be a little unfair to replace a four year player with a five year player in record books without maybe using an asterisk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom