On retirement | The Boneyard

On retirement

Reaction Score
Geno hinted in an interview about the 1000th win, that his preference would be to retire unannounced i.e. without a jeterlike victory lap, but I would assume at the end of a season. I’m sure we all would expect after a final championship!

I am an Italianamerican Bronx boy born in 1954, and started my practice about six months before Geno’s run with UCONN, and so feel somewhat time synced to our favorite coach. I am retiring at the end of this year, a few years ahead of schedule, but still after over three years of transition planning. That effort has taken a lot of my efforts and to be honest the ship has wobbled a bit trying to keep moving forward while getting the old guard off the bridge (what an analogy!)

My speculation is that it might be better for the program to accept the distraction of a victory tour, if Geno and CD could use it to introduce the new staff to the famous brand culture. Actually, upon minimal reflection, I think his concept of yanking off the bandaid is more realistic and better. Although maybe they could pull off an emeritus deal like Pat did but more meaningfully.

In any case, please forgive my ramblings. Obviously, I am projecting my own thoughts onto my obsession with the team.

Reaction Score
Based on his recent statement's, it's highly unlikely he will make an announcement and then embark on a last season filled with distracting hoopla............that said, knowing what a straight shooter he is, I find it hard to believe that Geno would recruit a class without warning them that he might not be coaching them for the entirety of their college careers

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think its safe to say Geno, and CD, will go out on their terms. And that is as it should be.

I don't think Geno or CD will want the emeritus thing at all. Just not their style. And it would be terrible for the program and a new head coach and possibly a new staff.

And how do you "introduce the new staff" when you are still coaching? It can't be done. I assume when Geno says its over, a national search will be conducted to find the next coach. And yes, Shea and or Marissa will probably interview. You don't do that during the season. That would be the ultimate clusterf*3k!!!

Reaction Score
He stated that someone had said that the best time to retire was the age of 70, not a day earlier, nor a day later. He said that though attempting to better his record by earning even more national championships is "stressful," he is still energized. He also mentioned that he likes the money.

So I don't see Coach Geno retiring for at least another seven years.

When he does retire, I think it will be immediately after the NCAA tournament that year. A long "victory lap" is not practical in women's basketball due to recruiting and retention considerations. If a coach is going to leave in a season or two, you can bet that underclassmen will immediately consider transfer options, and potential recruits will almost immediately write off UConn from their lists. And Coach Geno can't consider being in the background, as Pat Summit did. Summit was severely impacted by Alzheimer's and therefore it was a formality. Coach Geno would be the coaching giant sitting next to a neophyte- and any coach moving in would be considered a neophyte in comparison.

I think Coach Geno won't consider retiring until the day he turns 70, and even then I'm guessing he'll decide to keep going. He's doing his best work now, he enjoys it, he's getting great recruits, he's in excellent health. And he's working near where he lives, with family around him. Why in the world should he retire?

Years and miles to go before he sleeps.

Reaction Score
Even though this probably will NOT happen the best thing for the program would be if CD stayed with the current coaches either as AC or HC to keep program continuity.

Unfort I do believe they are a package deal and this run will probably suffer greatly. No program rules the roost for ever. Same thing that happened at UCLA(men), Tenn(women). Uconn(men without JC players). Certainly doesnt mean uconn will never be good again, it will just be different. I know I DO NOT want different. I think Geno has 1 more 5 year contract then he golfing in florida.. Lets just enjoy this now.

Reaction Score
I just really hope that UConn handles the coaching search for Geno's replacement a lot better than they did Calhoun's. Under an unqualified Ollie, the men's team is now a shell of it's former self with virtually no basis for optimism. They went from a perennial Top 15 team, to a perennial 15 win team in a very short time!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I just really hope that UConn handles the coaching search for Geno's replacement a lot better than they did Calhoun's. Under an unqualified Ollie, the men's team is now a shell of it's former self with virtually no basis for optimism. They went from Top 15 team to a perennial 15 win team in a very short time!"

UConn had no chance with Calhoun. He set it up so only Ollie, his hand picked choice, would get the job. Calhoun screwed the men's program with his ego. I don't see Geno being that egotistical.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
UConn was given no chance by Calhoun. He set it up so only Ollie would be picked as his successor. It was Calhoun's ego that has caused the men's program to falter. I don't see Geno doing that. Its not his style.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I just really hope that UConn handles the coaching search for Geno's replacement a lot better than they did Calhoun's. Under an unqualified Ollie, the men's team is now a shell of it's former self with virtually no basis for optimism. They went from a perennial Top 15 team, to a perennial 15 win team in a very short time!
Whenever I peruse the men's board, it strikes me how similar it is to what VolNation was like over the past two seasons. Although, to be fair, the UConn men's team is currently in worse shape than the Tennessee women's team has been at any point.

Reaction Score
He stated that someone had said that the best time to retire was the age of 70, not a day earlier, nor a day later. He said that though attempting to better his record by earning even more national championships is "stressful," he is still energized. He also mentioned that he likes the money.

So I don't see Coach Geno retiring for at least another seven years.

When he does retire, I think it will be immediately after the NCAA tournament that year. A long "victory lap" is not practical in women's basketball due to recruiting and retention considerations. If a coach is going to leave in a season or two, you can bet that underclassmen will immediately consider transfer options, and potential recruits will almost immediately write off UConn from their lists. And Coach Geno can't consider being in the background, as Pat Summit did. Summit was severely impacted by Alzheimer's and therefore it was a formality. Coach Geno would be the coaching giant sitting next to a neophyte- and any coach moving in would be considered a neophyte in comparison.

I think Coach Geno won't consider retiring until the day he turns 70, and even then I'm guessing he'll decide to keep going. He's doing his best work now, he enjoys it, he's getting great recruits, he's in excellent health. And he's working near where he lives, with family around him. Why in the world should he retire?

Years and miles to go before he sleeps.

Good analysis, I think that's about right. It's just intuition, but I would put him as most likely to retire sometime around age 68 to 70, with a much higher chance chance of it happening later than that versus sooner if my estimate is off.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
He also mentioned that he likes the money.

And Coach Geno can't consider being in the background, as Pat Summit did. Summit was severely impacted by Alzheimer's and therefore it was a formality. Coach Geno would be the coaching giant sitting next to a neophyte- and any coach moving in would be considered a neophyte in comparison.
You may have answered a question I've had. At one of his pressers he said something to the effect of "I don't know how other coaches do this." Then he said "I know why I do it." He was smiling as he said it so maybe he was referring to the money. Hopefully he has other reasons, too, as you suggest.

You are right on here. Recall that John Wooden sat in the stands near the UCLA bench for decades. What a thing that must have been for the coaches. Talk about someone looking over your shoulder.

Reaction Score
I dont see another WCBB having a run like this ever again after Geno retires! I also dont see the program falling apart like the mens team is. IMO Geno and CD talked about the future and in their mind they will not let this to happen to the program they built together!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

To be frank, the various UConn football coaching searches haven’t exactly been a template for that sport either.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The fall from grace is usually a steep one. :cool:

Reaction Score
Even though this probably will NOT happen the best thing for the program would be if CD stayed with the current coaches either as AC or HC to keep program continuity.

Unfort I do believe they are a package deal and this run will probably suffer greatly. No program rules the roost for ever. Same thing that happened at UCLA(men), Tenn(women). Uconn(men without JC players). Certainly doesnt mean uconn will never be good again, it will just be different. I know I DO NOT want different. I think Geno has 1 more 5 year contract then he golfing in florida.. Lets just enjoy this now.

If we promote from within (e.g. Shea), I would expect CD to stay on another season or two to ease the transition.

If we hire an external coach, I don't see it happening.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To be frank, the various UConn football coaching searches haven’t exactly been a template for that sport either.

There are young up and coming coaches in the horizon that could come in and turn UConn's fortunes around in 2-3 years. A young coach like the Ram's Sean McVay.
Look at how he turned the Rams around in one year. Those coaches are out there. The search committee just has to know what those attributes are, and how to recognize them when a coach displays them. More than likely, it will not be a high profile or an established coach. He'll be young and upcoming, Like McVay is.
After the job he did with the Rams this year, do you think he could get an interview with other teams looking to change head coaches? You bet he could.

Reaction Score
This is one of the greatest dynasties in the history of any sports. The coaching and teaching not only of basketball, but amazing life skills from both Geno and CD is as impressive as their basketball history & records.

It will be pretty much impossible to maintain the level of excellence but with the right new HC and staff they can still be an elite wbb program. There will very likely be a drop off after they both retire as well as some transfers and some lost high level recruits. If the new HC can establish some of their own excellence than hopefully U Conn wbb will remain one of the better programs. It will never duplicate what exists now as this is a once in a generation or longer type experience.
Geno and I believe CD with him will hopefully leave upon winning a championship probably in the next 3-7 years when the energy, effort and motivation drops off a bit.
I love watching excellence in any aspect of life, but just want to "savor" what remains.
Bronx 23

Reaction Score
If we promote from within (e.g. Shea), I would expect CD to stay on another season or two to ease the transition.

If we hire an external coach, I don't see it happening.

Clearly that would be ideal. You can tell it's like a family atmosphere with the coaches relationship with the players. I don't know why I think Geno and CD come in together and leave together. I guess an interesting discussion for the off season or some off season 3 or 4 years from now.

Reaction Score
From my NCAA coaching experience, top D1 programs usually all maintain active "short lists" of potential candidates should a head coach leave/be asked to leave; this "short list" is typically updated every year; top programs can't afford to to be caught unprepared in these instances. When GA decides to move on, it will likely be a "rapid" national search more likely to last a couple weeks rather much more than a month. AD's like to name a new coach as quickly as possible so the newly signed recruits know who they would be playing for since they have the opportunity to request a release from their commitment without penalty should they feel it be in their best interests to consider other options also.

In GA's case, his departure will most likely be a retirement where the AD has an "insight" as to not be caught off-guard. Even in cases where a coach is let go, the AD usually has an insight into this since they are the ones that typically begin the decision making process (although this did not seem evident in the departure of Diaco the way that worked out.

I agree that Calhoun put the AD in a predicament with how he chose to manipulate his departure. Our recent football searches were certainly lacking in how they worked out - I do believe that Edsall's return will at stabilize the football program & get it going in the up direction.

Reaction Score
Another question that must be answered is if someone without head coaching experience will be considered a viable candidate. There's been all kind so speculation regarding Jen Rizzotti: did she leave Hartford to go to George Washington to up her experience to a higher NCAA level to be more prepared to move onto leading a UConn program or was that move a sign of her indicating that she is not interested in following GA (not necessarily not interested in UConn) -the expectations on whoever is tagged to replace GA will be enormous & will take a special person to be able to handle this. While we like to think of things about our WBB program as the "Connecticut Way", it really is the "Geno (& CD) Way". No matter who the next coach is, that goes out the door when GA walks out the door.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I suspect the transition might well be a little subtle. Additional scout or game day duties. Upgraded recruiting roles, etc. This can happen fairly invisibly. I do think Shea will get a shot, if she and Geno want that to happen.

FWIW, Shea is a pretty tough competitor and I get the sense she is pretty demanding. It could leave kids pining away for the kinder, gentler Geno years.;)

Reaction Score
I suspect the transition might well be a little subtle. Additional scout or game day duties. Upgraded recruiting roles, etc. This can happen fairly invisibly. I do think Shea will get a shot, if she and Geno want that to happen.

FWIW, Shea is a pretty tough competitor and I get the sense she is pretty demanding. It could leave kids pining away for the kinder, gentler Geno years.;)

I concur with thoughts on Shea. My experience was moving from asst to HC of an NCAA baseball program where the HC was there for 15 years of which I was top asst for his final 10 yrs. Program was very successful. While he was the HC coach & I was charged with heading recruiting responsibilities, we could get in to see any kid we wanted; that changed immediately when I transitioned to HC ; it immediately became more difficult. There's something about breaking into the circle of "legacy" coaches to be able to compete on equal footing; we lost an advantage that we had over other schools when the HC walked out the door even though he remained involved with the program for several years after & I could call on him whenever I wanted for whatever I wanted; this an advantage we currently have that will step back bit when GA leaves no matter how involved he stays with the program. If someone like Shea gets the opportunity & would be fortunate enough for CD to stay for a couple additional years, that step back could maybe lessened a bit. But our world will be different when GA is not pacing the sidelines.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
God, it's like Groundhog Day.

face-palm_1f926 (1).png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members