On Re-Watching The OU Game, I Concluded ... | The Boneyard

On Re-Watching The OU Game, I Concluded ...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
... that apart from the issue of missed shots (which is basically uncontrollable), the main problem was defense, not offense. I agree with those who say that with a normal shooting percentage, UConn would have scored in the mid-80’s, close to its season average. There were some noticeable and correctable offensive problems such as inaccurate passes and missed layups, but basically the offense was fine (apart from shooting accuracy).

I think it is quite plausible that the offensive problems were attributable to the long break, Megan’s recent illness, and perhaps the long travel. If that is true, then we should not see similar problems against Cal on 12/22. If those symptoms are still observed against Cal, then it’s time to be more concerned.

BUT ... defense is another matter. The game exposed the fact that neither of the “young” starters (Megan and Christyn) have really mastered defense at the elite college level. It was Christyn’s problems with OU screens that allowed Robertson to get open for most of her 3-point shots. On several plays where there was a need to switch, Megan was clearly confused and hesitated, allowing an open shot or an open path to the basket. It’s a little surprising that this was not particularly in evidence against Notre Dame, but maybe Sherri Coale studied the ND tape and saw something she could exploit.

The defensive problems extended to the bench, in what little time Geno allowed to his bench. I didn’t notice any defensive lapses by Kyla, but ONO and especially Mikayla showed confusion on their defensive assignments, similar to Megan and Christyn.

I’m guessing that UConn probably gave up 10-15 points unnecessarily due to defensive confusion by its less experienced players. That WILL probably continue against Cal, since something like that can’t be corrected in a single practice session. But it should be correctable by tournament time.

Overall, I enjoyed watching the replay. It was not depressing, as I expected it to be. There were lots of good plays (unfortunately very few good shots) by UConn players, and the problems (while real) should be correctable at least in the longer term.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You've forgotten one important person. CD was, in the OU game as in the ND game continually beaten off the dribble, had issues when posted up, and had issues working through screens The fact is the back court as a whole had a difficult day defensively, but at least CW showed up offensively in the second half. CD's 1-7 from 3, and 3-13 from the field with 2 assists was tough to swallow, especially in a game where they needed real leadership. So let's spread some of the responsibility around and away from just the youngun's. The truth is freshmen and sophomore's make mistakes. Junior's and seniors are the one's that should know better. But as Joe Louis used to say after almost every fight, "Tough fight, glad I won".

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yup, to go under or over, switch, back up and let her thru... all will be corrected soon

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You've forgotten one important person. CD was, in the OU game as in the ND game continually beaten off the dribble, had issues when posted up, and had issues working through screens The fact is the back court as a whole had a difficult day defensively, but at least CW showed up offensively in the second half. CD's 1-7 from 3, and 3-13 from the field with 2 assists was tough to swallow, especially in a game where they needed real leadership. So let's spread some of the responsibility around and away from just the youngun's. The truth is freshmen and sophomore's make mistakes. Junior's and seniors are the one's that should know better. But as Joe Louis used to say after almost every fight, "Tough fight, glad I won".
That's all that needs to be said. Keep on hitting the nail on the head @JordyG.

Reaction Score
... that apart from the issue of missed shots (which is basically uncontrollable), the main problem was defense, not offense. I agree with those who say that with a normal shooting percentage, UConn would have scored in the mid-80’s, close to its season average. There were some noticeable and correctable offensive problems such as inaccurate passes and missed layups, but basically the offense was fine (apart from shooting accuracy).

I think it is quite plausible that the offensive problems were attributable to the long break, Megan’s recent illness, and perhaps the long travel. If that is true, then we should not see similar problems against Cal on 12/22. If those symptoms are still observed against Cal, then it’s time to be more concerned.

BUT ... defense is another matter. The game exposed the fact that neither of the “young” starters (Megan and Christyn) have really mastered defense at the elite college level. It was Christyn’s problems with OU screens that allowed Robertson to get open for most of her 3-point shots. On several plays where there was a need to switch, Megan was clearly confused and hesitated, allowing an open shot or an open path to the basket. It’s a little surprising that this was not particularly in evidence against Notre Dame, but maybe Sherri Coale studied the ND tape and saw something she could exploit.

The defensive problems extended to the bench, in what little time Geno allowed to his bench. I didn’t notice any defensive lapses by Kyla, but ONO and especially Mikayla showed confusion on their defensive assignments, similar to Megan and Christyn.

I’m guessing that UConn probably gave up 10-15 points unnecessarily due to defensive confusion by its less experienced players. That WILL probably continue against Cal, since something like that can’t be corrected in a single practice session. But it should be correctable by tournament time.

Overall, I enjoyed watching the replay. It was not depressing, as I expected it to be. There were lots of good plays (unfortunately very few good shots) by UConn players, and the problems (while real) should be correctable at least in the longer term.

M and M most probably watched SJ tape. The pattern of things to come. With no bench the 5 play too long and tired legs tend to reach out and foul, not move their fee. MM, OU, Cal are not AAC quality teams and fight to win: so give the opponents their due: good game plans good execution.
How in the world can a team with ONLY 5 players play UConn "dig-in" defense, fast break, plow the field with 3's. Shooter with tired legs have shots that fall short. I.E. too few players for too many minutes.

What Geno needs to do is go back 2 years and beg or pay big and talented recruits (Uconn kid or not) to come to UConn-teleport back 2 years. If he can't do that--he just isn't the Geno we all expect.

What does Geno do the rest of this year? ONO can't get an injection of confidence and experience or a pill to not foul--Irwin, Molly nice kids should be giving Geno real subbing for 2 minutes at a time but they don't.
Coomb quick, good open floor defender but undersized inside and not much we've seen in scoring--what does Geno do with her? Forget those Geno didn't get. You live with the girls you brung to the dance--and die with them. Think of this : if experience is the determining factor than ONO and the bench can only get better (it says in my tea leaves)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
M and M most probably watched SJ tape. The pattern of things to come. With no bench the 5 play too long and tired legs tend to reach out and foul, not move their fee. MM, OU, Cal are not AAC quality teams and fight to win: so give the opponents their due: good game plans good execution.
How in the world can a team with ONLY 5 players play UConn "dig-in" defense, fast break, plow the field with 3's. Shooter with tired legs have shots that fall short. I.E. too few players for too many minutes.

What Geno needs to do is go back 2 years and beg or pay big and talented recruits (Uconn kid or not) to come to UConn-teleport back 2 years. If he can't do that--he just isn't the Geno we all expect.

What does Geno do the rest of this year? ONO can't get an injection of confidence and experience or a pill to not foul--Irwin, Molly nice kids should be giving Geno real subbing for 2 minutes at a time but they don't.
Coomb quick, good open floor defender but undersized inside and not much we've seen in scoring--what does Geno do with her? Forget those Geno didn't get. You live with the girls you brung to the dance--and die with them. Think of this : if experience is the determining factor than ONO and the bench can only get better (it says in my tea leaves)
Well said! Should we buy tickets to Tampa?

Reaction Score
Well said! Should we buy tickets to Tampa?
I have distrusted Geno's abilities to get to the FF these past 2 years: I'm dumb, but I eventually learn to believe if anyone can get them there it will be Geno, buy now.

Reaction Score
I need to, just for the experience... but those packages aren't cheap.
Just do it. If not now, when you gonna do it? You waiting til you're 90? Why do you work so hard? Do it.

Reaction Score
... that apart from the issue of missed shots (which is basically uncontrollable)

Nice post, well established premise, but I'm especially interested in the bolded, italicized part. What, if anything is known about what happens when a shooter loses or regains her "touch"?

Competitors of all stripe go through dry spells and mostly analysts just shrug their shoulders. Usually, they offer some variation of the "it's a mental thing" explanation and walk away.

I've heard football coaches say they just stay away from struggling place kickers. Either the guy works thinks out for himself of he gets replaced. Is there truly very little or nothing that can be done?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Let me hold something til my taxes come?

DaddyC - If you didn't let your rich uncle "hold" a tax refund you would have a little more to hold for yourself. The goal is to withhold enough to just to break even or even to owe the uncle a bit, not to let the rich SOB keep your money without paying you interest.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DaddyC - If you didn't let your rich uncle "hold" a tax refund you would have a little more to hold for yourself. The goal is to withhold enough to just to break even or even to owe the uncle a bit, not to let the rich SOB keep your money without paying you interest.
I wish I knew how to adjust that...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Review your withholding every year at tax time. Adjust it with an updated W-4.
adjust up or down, which way do I want to go... what about all the stuff you file on your taxes? I'll look at a W-4 and see what its about and how to complete it

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If you are getting a large refund every year that is using the IRS as savings account that doesn't pay interest. Reduce your W-4 withholding amount by the amount of your estimated refund.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Re: Oklahoma.

Hitting shots gets contagious. So does missing them.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
After watching the game, I concluded the game I watched was different from the one painted by some Boneyarders on the Chat. Based on what I read, UConn lacked energy, effort, and executed poorly much of the game. What I saw was a team that played tough, gave good energy, and although there were times when execution was not great, they played a good game. I wish Ono could have played more and Coombs and Irwin could have played some. It would have been a good game to see how well they could have played against good competition in a tough situation and a chance to give the starters some rest.

Reaction Score
If you are getting a large refund every year that is using the IRS as savings account that doesn't pay interest. Reduce your W-4 withholding amount by the amount of your estimated refund.

This is exactly like the old Christmas Club established by banks for the general public to put money away for Christmas gifts. A complete farce.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
understood... BUT sometimes that saving is just like putting it in a shoebox or that old pocketbook in the back of the closet OR that fancy wall safe behind that picture

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This is exactly like the old Christmas Club established by banks for the general public to put money away for Christmas gifts. A complete farce.
you never took part in those Christmas Clubs?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom