On Pace For PACE | The Boneyard

On Pace For PACE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
After watching the game again, and focusing on the performance of two players, I must admit, they didn't look as bad as I first thought. There's hope.
What I would like to see in the final exhibition game on Sunday is Butler starting in the 5 hole. I want her to rotate with Irwin the entire game. I want to see exactly where they are, and who we can expect to do what. Geno sees them in practice everyday. We don't. I'm pretty sure he and his staff go over the status of their players, and compare notes on who's stock is in the incline day to day, and who is dogging it. They no doubt have already mapped out their strategy for the season. If Chong can't stay in the starting lineup, Bent or Dangerfield will have to step up and fill a guard spot. If so, Nurse may have to run the point. On occasion, some players may be asked to play out of position this year.

One glaring problem I see is something that has been mentioned before, and that is the lack of bench depth. IF Geno uses the same lineup he used Tuesday, he'd have a bench comprised of 1 player (Butler) that has any significant prior playing experience. Lawlor is the only other returning player on the bench. Last year, her playing time was limited to the last 2-3 minutes of a game. The other 3 are the freshmen.

We know that in the past, Geno has gone with a relatively short bench once the season begins. The last time he had a bench this short was 2010-2011 season when he only dressed 8 players. Doty and Buck were injured, and Samarie Walker jumped ship at the Christmas break. His bench consisted of Lorin Dixon, Lauren Engeln and Micheala Johnson. Dixon for all intents and purposes was the bench. If Geno hopes to go deep into the tournament, He's going to have to develop, and be able to depend on most of his bench.

There will be times (games) when Butler's presence will be a must. The phrase "size matters" will mean more than ever at times this season to the huskies.
There is no substitute for height. There's Butler, then Lou, and it drops off from there. If one of then has to sit early because of foul trouble, UConn could find itself in dire straights on defense. When UConn encounters a team that has "redwoods" in their front court, UConn could find itself severely undermanned, and overwhelmed.

Auriemma will not have the luxury of bringing the freshmen along slowly this year. They're going to have to be ready to hit the ground running in 10 days when the season starts. In the 7th game of any world series, you hear the phrase "ALL HANDS ON DECK". That will be the Huskies' rallying cry all season. The "core 4" cannot carry the team as the BIG 3 did.

The trio looked good Tuesday. Let's hope their performance was not an aberration, but instead a preview of things to come. The more the freshmen play, the quicker they become comfortable at this level, and in Geno's system. The more minutes Geno can give them, the sooner they'll be ready for post season play. This is going to be a very interesting season for more reasons than one. Geno is going to have to do some of his best coaching and teaching this year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting - the tex you copied is different from the text when you click the 'click-me' as that text is as follows:

Sunday’s contest will be available on the UConn/IMG Radio Network or fans can follow live updates by following @UconnWBB on Twitter.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
After watching the game again, and focusing on the performance of two players, I must admit, they didn't look as bad as I first thought. There's hope.
What I would like to see in the final exhibition game on Sunday is Butler starting in the 5 hole. I want her to rotate with Irwin the entire game. I want to see exactly where they are, and who we can expect to do what. Geno sees them in practice everyday. We don't. I'm pretty sure he and his staff go over the status of their players, and compare notes on who's stock is in the incline day to day, and who is dogging it. They no doubt have already mapped out their strategy for the season. If Chong can't stay in the starting lineup, Bent or Dangerfield will have to step up and fill a guard spot. If so, Nurse may have to run the point. On occasion, some players may be asked to play out of position this year.

One glaring problem I see is something that has been mentioned before, and that is the lack of bench depth. IF Geno uses the same lineup he used Tuesday, he'd have a bench comprised of 1 player (Butler) that has any significant prior playing experience. Lawlor is the only other returning player on the bench. Last year, her playing time was limited to the last 2-3 minutes of a game. The other 3 are the freshmen.

We know that in the past, Geno has gone with a relatively short bench once the season begins. The last time he had a bench this short was 2010-2011 season when he only dressed 8 players. Doty and Buck were injured, and Samarie Walker jumped ship at the Christmas break. His bench consisted of Lorin Dixon, Lauren Engeln and Micheala Johnson. Dixon for all intents and purposes was the bench. If Geno hopes to go deep into the tournament, He's going to have to develop, and be able to depend on most of his bench.

There will be times (games) when Butler's presence will be a must. The phrase "size matters" will mean more than ever at times this season to the huskies.
There is no substitute for height. There's Butler, then Lou, and it drops off from there. If one of then has to sit early because of foul trouble, UConn could find itself in dire straights on defense. When UConn encounters a team that has "redwoods" in their front court, UConn could find itself severely undermanned, and overwhelmed.

Auriemma will not have the luxury of bringing the freshmen along slowly this year. They're going to have to be ready to hit the ground running in 10 days when the season starts. In the 7th game of any world series, you hear the phrase "ALL HANDS ON DECK". That will be the Huskies' rallying cry all season. The "core 4" cannot carry the team as the BIG 3 did.

The trio looked good Tuesday. Let's hope their performance was not an aberration, but instead a preview of things to come. The more the freshmen play, the quicker they become comfortable at this level, and in Geno's system. The more minutes Geno can give them, the sooner they'll be ready for post season play. This is going to be a very interesting season for more reasons than one. Geno is going to have to do some of his best coaching and teaching this year.
You know, the bench last year was not that big - returning players were only seven plus Lawlor and Pulido while of the seven Chong was injured and Ekmark was headed for limited use. Butler was a red shirt and also injured. We had three incoming freshman but one was injured and ended up leaving.

Reaction Score

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You know, the bench last year was not that big - returning players were only seven plus Lawlor and Pulido while of the seven Chong was injured and Ekmark was headed for limited use. Butler was a red shirt and also injured. We had three incoming freshman but one was injured and ended up leaving.

Last year he had a strong starting five that could play 40 minutes if needed. He had Gabby and Napheesa coming off the bench as 6th & 7th man. Butler was available, just not needed. Also don't forget, most of their games were decided by halftime, so there was no cause for concern about player fatigue. Except for Lou at the end, none of the starters got hurt last year, requiring a replacement for multiple games. That scenario does not exist this season. Quite the contrary.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I really liked the way the Freshman guards looked and when CD was in, she ran the point and looked terrific and dangerous (not a play on her name).

I suspect that all three...Saniya plus the kids, will run point (for the most part) allowing Kia to play her more normal 2 spot.

About the bigs (semi-bigs), I have yet to formulate a clear position, but I didn't see that much improvement from Butler, although her decent stats tend to bely that view

I expect that Geno's strategy with teams with lots of bigs will be to pressure the guards as much as possible...resulting in the need for a regular 4-deep rotation throughout contests.

Reaction Score
Interesting - the tex you copied is different from the text when you click the 'click-me' as that text is as follows:

Sunday’s contest will be available on the UConn/IMG Radio Network or fans can follow live updates by following @UconnWBB on Twitter.
Good catch. Obviously they changed their post. Not a welcome change at all. :( :confused: :mad:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Last year he had a strong starting five that could play 40 minutes if needed. He had Gabby and Napheesa coming off the bench as 6th & 7th man. Butler was available, just not needed. Also don't forget, most of their games were decided by halftime, so there was no cause for concern about player fatigue. Except for Lou at the end, none of the starters got hurt last year, requiring a replacement for multiple games. That scenario does not exist this season. Quite the contrary.
But Napheesa on the bench and Lou in the starting line-up were both freshman and Butler was in her first year of play. Not dissimilar to have the current three freshman on the bench. The starting line-up did return four starters so I am not saying the team is in a similar situation, just that it wasn't an extensive bench last year with untested players which is similar.

Reaction Score
IMG_0285.PNG

CBS Sports now shows the Pace game as "watch". This changed positively today. Yesterday it was only "listen". I have no faith that there will still be a video feed on Sunday, as they have changed this listing at least 4 times in the past 10 days.

Reaction Score

You can also watch a live video feed @College Sports Live at the UConn Huskies Web site. It may cost you ten bucks OR you can wait and watch a replay gratis.

Oops. I should have read down farther before putting in my two cents woith. IGNORE THIS POST.

Reaction Score
I am going to watch ,who plays better against Paces 6-5 center Kristan Dodge ,Natlalie or Irwin . I sincerely hope they both dominate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom