OT: - On-line clothes shopping | The Boneyard

OT: On-line clothes shopping

Reaction Score
I am wondering how on-line shopping works & what is recommended. I need to try on lots of pants & shirts even though stated measurements should fit me- many are just too tight or too loose, the seat is too small or too baggy, etc. If I ordered something and it doesn't fit right, who pays to ship back & try again? Are any sites better than others? Or, should I just look at what I currently own that seems to fit and try there first for replacements.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Find stuff that fits at home and order the same size and brand. Most places are pretty good about returns.

Reaction Score
Well, part of the fun of shopping is to try new things/brands and not just stay with same old things. I guess shopping is different and part of the new normal as well.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
On Amazon look for things that specifically free return shipping.

Some chains allow returns to physical stores. You can look for which allow this, order from one that has a store near you, and return after the social distancing is relaxed.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Check out Zappos.com. Great selection with a good no-hassle return policy. Just bought some Nikes from them.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
My wife buys nearly everything online. Most places allow for no cost returns. And many shoppers review sizing and you can get a feel for the experience of others. I honestly cannot remember the last time I actually went to a store and tried an article of clothing on for size/fit. Just one warning though. Clothes do not fit the same since we have been distanced from everything but our fridge!

Reaction Score
I have some non-zero level of expertise in on-line shopping, although it is close to zero. Nonetheless...

Based on people I know who do LOTS of on-line clothing shopping, it works if you accept the trade-offs. Many, for instance will order 10 items knowing that 7 will be boxed up and returned. Once you get used to the routine, in the end it is less of a hassle than say going to the mall. You learn how various brands are sized and end up returning less as the learning curve grows. Free returns are common, often from your front steps.

I bought my last pair of tennis shoes on-line as brick and mortar stores don't carry them. They fit! I tried on and bought a pair of running shoes, liked them and got more of the identical shoe on line. This is my non-zero experience. So far so good.

Take the plunge, order a bunch of stuff, return some or all and repeat. If you hate it after that, well, the shirts and pants you have are probably just fine for another year. It's not like we can go anywhere anyway.

Reaction Score
EBAY is an "interesting" site for buying clothes. You can find unbelievable deals and outright fakes. I've purchased a fair amount of top quality clothes at a small fraction of their retail price
(I would estimate about 1/10 the original price).
I'm fortunate in that I wear a standard size and have little trouble in finding clothes that fit well.

What I look for on EBAY is the following:
1) Seller's history
2) Return policy
3) Must have a detailed description of item for sale. Don't assume anything).

The most incredible deals can be had on used clothing. Other things to look for are:
1) Condition (If a specific description of it's condition isn't made, pass it by. If the description just says "used", pass it by)
2) "Make an offer" items usually means the seller is pretty flexible on price.
3) Detailed measurements.
I have purchased like new cashmere sport coats and 120 wool suits from top designers (Zegna, Kiton, Loro Piana) that I would otherwise never think about buying because of the price.
Incredible quality for the price
of an entry level suit from Macy's.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that Amazon has a "trial period" for most clothing purchases and free return shipping if you decide to return any items. You probably have to make sure to save the original packaging.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I've been purchasing clothes and shoes online for years... only have run into one problem. Several years ago... I decided to spurge and buy an nice lacoste button down shirt. Well instead of letter sizes... the shirt uses a numerical system for its sizes... so i thought i was buying a size that fit me. I tried it on..... and it was a bit snug in the middle. Instead of trying to get a refund..... i figured... if i just lay off the burgers and pastries.... it would fit right and all would be well. Welp....five years later... the shirt is still hanging in my closet.... and I haven't worn it yet :(:(:oops::oops::oops: Darn shame.... cause its a GREAT looking shirt :oops:

Reaction Score
I am wondering how on-line shopping works & what is recommended. I need to try on lots of pants & shirts even though stated measurements should fit me- many are just too tight or too loose, the seat is too small or too baggy, etc. If I ordered something and it doesn't fit right, who pays to ship back & try again? Are any sites better than others? Or, should I just look at what I currently own that seems to fit and try there first for replacements.
Evolution. If we stop wearing clothes for a couple hundred generations, we should develop enough body hair, or fur, that we won't need clothes anymore. How fun would that be.

Reaction Score
On Amazon try to find:
-Amazon's Choice items
-Best seller items
-Best reviews items
-Free return items

Reaction Score
I've been purchasing clothes and shoes online for years... only have run into one problem. Several years ago... I decided to spurge and buy an nice lacoste button down shirt. Well instead of letter sizes... the shirt uses a numerical system for its sizes... so i thought i was buying a size that fit me. I tried it on..... and it was a bit snug in the middle. Instead of trying to get a refund..... i figured... if i just lay off the burgers and pastries.... it would fit right and all would be well. Welp....five years later... the shirt is still hanging in my closet.... and I haven't worn it yet :(:(:oops::oops::oops: Darn shame.... cause its a GREAT looking shirt :oops:
I always look for bellbottom shirts.

Reaction Score
Evolution. If we stop wearing clothes for a couple hundred generations, we should develop enough body hair, or fur, that we won't need clothes anymore. How fun would that be.
Shizzle would break.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I like to buy from stores where I know I can return in store. I’m terrible about returning things in the mail.

Gap, Old Navy, Kohl’s...

Sometimes I will order two of an item knowing I’ll return the other based on fit.

When things are less Corona-crazy, I have orders shipped right to the store and then I’m already there to do my necessary returns.

Stay away from eBay unless you know very specifically what you want and can’t find it elsewhere.

Reaction Score
LL Bean has always had a generous return policy.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would avoid e-bay like the plague er corona virus...

I've never had a bad experience with ebay... and Ive shopped there for many years, and bought plenty of items... from clothes, electronics, shoes, jewelry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom