On coaches, new, gender and background across the major conferences | The Boneyard

On coaches, new, gender and background across the major conferences

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As I annually report -

It looks like only 7 new coaches in the Power 4 this season - one in the B1G (Iowa), 2 in the SEC (Kentucky and Tennessee) and 4 in the ACC (Stanford, Clemson, Miami and Virginia Tech). No changes in the Big 12, and it has to be noted that there is one new coach in the Big East, at Marquette.

There are 51 female head coaches and 17 male head coaches in the Power 4. The Big 10 has the highest percentage (15 out of 18) while the Big 12 trails with 10 female and 6 male. The Big East has always been otherwise - with 4 women and 7 men. I consider increased women coaches a good thing as so many former players are available and have coached as assistants.

As to background - 51 of the 68 Power 4 Head Coaches were head coaches at other Division I schools. 3 coached at other levels, coming from high school, NAIA and WNBA respectively. 5 were promoted from within, while the remaining 9 were hired when they were assistants somewhere else. While I only have a random snapshot of "lower level" conferences (Arizona and Rutgers opponents) I would estimate that a higher percentage are on their first head coaching job. Of course I've long held that coaches with losing records seem to last longer at non-Power level schools, as well.

As a final "side" note, I noticed that the Big 10 and ACC, both with 18 schools, are playing 18 game conference schedules, as is the 11 team Big East. The 16 team SEC is playing 16 games while the 16 team Big 12 is playing 18. Go figure.

As I charted the Rutgers and Arizona opponents, I noticed some conferences playing 20 games (Big West) and the Ivy playing 14 (as expected for an 8 team conference). In general, a lot of changes have happened at these levels, some of the conferences are no longer recognizable from the list of members. Its a new day.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I realize double round robin isn't possible with some of these big expanded conferences...but only playing all the other teams once each just seems so weird to me.

Reaction Score
As I annually report -

It looks like only 7 new coaches in the Power 4 this season - one in the B1G (Iowa), 2 in the SEC (Kentucky and Tennessee) and 4 in the ACC (Stanford, Clemson, Miami and Virginia Tech). No changes in the Big 12, and it has to be noted that there is one new coach in the Big East, at Marquette.

There are 51 female head coaches and 17 male head coaches in the Power 4. The Big 10 has the highest percentage (15 out of 18) while the Big 12 trails with 10 female and 6 male. The Big East has always been otherwise - with 4 women and 7 men. I consider increased women coaches a good thing as so many former players are available and have coached as assistants.

As to background - 51 of the 68 Power 4 Head Coaches were head coaches at other Division I schools. 3 coached at other levels, coming from high school, NAIA and WNBA respectively. 5 were promoted from within, while the remaining 9 were hired when they were assistants somewhere else. While I only have a random snapshot of "lower level" conferences (Arizona and Rutgers opponents) I would estimate that a higher percentage are on their first head coaching job. Of course I've long held that coaches with losing records seem to last longer at non-Power level schools, as well.

As a final "side" note, I noticed that the Big 10 and ACC, both with 18 schools, are playing 18 game conference schedules, as is the 11 team Big East. The 16 team SEC is playing 16 games while the 16 team Big 12 is playing 18. Go figure.

As I charted the Rutgers and Arizona opponents, I noticed some conferences playing 20 games (Big West) and the Ivy playing 14 (as expected for an 8 team conference). In general, a lot of changes have happened at these levels, some of the conferences are no longer recognizable from the list of members. Its a new day.
This is excellent. Thanks for the info.

Reaction Score
As I annually report -

Outstanding!

Wonder how the kitties will do over in the new conference. The Sun Devils are a lock for their third consecutive 20 loss season before finally I hope parting ways with Adair.

Over on the WNBA tread on the topic of coaching there was a post lamenting the scarcity of qualified potential WNBA coaches.

Your analysis got me to wondering about how many current and former female P4 coaches would be viable candidates in the professional game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Outstanding!

Wonder how the kitties will do over in the new conference. The Sun Devils are a lock for their third consecutive 20 loss season before finally I hope parting ways with Adair.

Over on the WNBA tread on the topic of coaching there was a post lamenting the scarcity of qualified potential WNBA coaches.

Your analysis got me to wondering about how many current and former female P4 coaches would be viable candidates in the professional game.
It is arguably hard to know, because I don't think success in college and success in the W are exactly analogous. We see the same in coaches in football who have exceeded at one or the other but not so many at both.

Certainly many of the NCAA coaches played in the "W" and I once heard the quote "basketball is basketball". But the game is different - every player in the W was the star of their team in the NCAA, even the last one off the bench. And the difference between pro players and college players (even if increasing "semi-pro") demands different skills.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom