Omar | The Boneyard

Omar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He was the story of the game in my opinion. He looks like a different player than he did last season, and it's not just the typical freshman to sophomore progressions, either. He has been far more engaged defensively, much more fluid driving to the basket, and in general, just much more comfortable out there. The hip surgery appears to have paid major dividends.

The front court was a disaster at times. Brimah and Nolan combining for nine blocks in 37 minutes is promising, but that kid Sears was having his way with both of them on the boards for just about the entire game. As of now, they are both way too thin. Brimah is going to be a star by his junior year, but he needs to work on his positioning defensively and his 3 or 4 dropped passes today brought back bad memories of Majok and Okwandu. He's still way, way ahead of where we expected him to be on the learning curve, though.

DeAndre obviously needs to do more. He's still surprisingly tentative given how dominant he was at the end of last season.

Giff played a great first half, Boat played a great second half. Bazz was Bazz. Other than that, there's not much to say. I'm as concerned with the rebounding margin as the next guy, but whatever - the intensity we saw Friday obviously wasn't there today, and given they are a veteran team that has won big games, it's not surprising that they managed to open up a 20 point lead and coast the rest of the way (most the damage on the boards occurred after the game was already in hand, so I'll take solace in that). With Detroit and BU coming next, you can probably expect more of the same until they kick it up a gear in time for BC in MSG. 2-0 is all that really matters right now.

Reaction Score
I'm not overly concerned with rebounds, the other team attempted like twenty more FA, and we also had more defensive boards. Calhoun is an established scorer, but he tends to have tunnel vision at times; maybe it's his lack of ball handling ability? I rarely see him driving to the hoop with his head up

Reaction Score
I focused on Omar's defense tonight at the game like an eagle magnifying the defense image up to 10 or 11 times.

His lateral movement was better than I have ever seen (Giff draining 3 after 3 may have contributed to that haha).

I liked seeing Omar and Giff in the lineup together during the course of the game. The first half substitution pattern by KO was near perfect IMO.

Reaction Score
I'm not overly concerned with rebounds, the other team attempted like twenty more FA, and we also had more defensive boards.
I'm not sure what your point is here. The main reason Yale had 17 more field goals attempted (63 to 46 for UConn) is that Yale had 22 offensive rebounds to UConn's 4. So isn't that a rebounding issue?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It seemed like Yale's whole offense was throwing up a brick and then getting the offensive rebound. I'm a little discouraged by this game.. but we did run a lot of what amounted to a four guard set with Brimah underneath. That being said... you'd think some of these guys would pick up a rebound or two just by accident.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what your point is here. The main reason Yale had 17 more field goals attempted (63 to 46 for UConn) is that Yale had 22 offensive rebounds to UConn's 4. So isn't that a rebounding issue?
We are going to have a rebound issue all season just like last year. The key for us is to close the margin and keep from getting overwhelmed on the boards. A 22-4 OB deficit isn't going to work nor is having your 6'0" PG lead the team in rebounds. I have a feeling rebounding drills are going to take up a lot of time in practice.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Oh yeah... and Omar looks really good. ;-)

Reaction Score
I loved Moses! I'm a firm believer in if you want a rebound you can get a rebound. It's an attitude thang.

Reaction Score
I loved Moses! I'm a firm believer in if you want a rebound you can get a rebound. It's an attitude thang.
Of course Moses was never accused of being long and lean.

Reaction Score
Omar has really developed. His shooting form is much, much better. This is probably an exaggeration but last year it looked like he started his release at his belly button.

He also looks quicker and moves better. Omar has made a huge jump from his freshman year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Omar has really developed. His shooting form is much, much better. This is probably an exaggeration but last year it looked like he started his release at his belly button.

He also looks quicker and moves better. Omar has made a huge jump from his freshman year.
I was wondering how much his hips limited things like defense, driving to the hoop and shooting. I believe we got our answer. OC started out well last season but the wear and tear on those hips started to impact him.

Reaction Score
I'm not overly concerned with rebounds, the other team attempted like twenty more FA, and we also had more defensive boards

James I think Ollie is 'overly concerned'. There is no positive spin on the rebound debacle that happened yesterday. Bazz makes the numbers look better than they are. And his were hustle boards and not by out jumping opponents. Its a legitimate problem, even if only 2 games in.

Reaction Score
James I think Ollie is 'overly concerned'. There is no positive spin on the rebound debacle that happened yesterday. Bazz makes the numbers look better than they are. And his were hustle boards and not by out jumping opponents. Its a legitimate problem, even if only 2 games in.
Was it a major concern after we beat Maryland ? No. It's pretty obvious most of the players didn't get up for the Yale game, the focus was clearly not there; think that's what Ollie's upset about. So many lazy possessions. I'm thinking it won't be a chronic issue.
Omar is a terrific scorer in the midrange, also a great set shooter. Defensively he isn't there and neither is his ball handling. He can't really be the second pass in a press, often looking bewildered when asked to handle the rock.

Reaction Score
Did you see his penetrate and no look dish to Brimah that should've been an easy 2, but Amida dropped it?
Justnseems to be trigger happy early on maybe feels the heat from giffey and kromah

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Justnseems to be trigger happy early on maybe feels the heat from giffey and kromah

He's a shooter first and foremost; that's his role on this team.

If we had 10 guys who looked to pass first and foremost, we would struggle to score. You need guys who look to create for themselves and put the ball in the basket.

Reaction Score
Giffey has a per of 39 through two games, as well as a True shooting % of 1.167.
:eek::eek::eek:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did you see his penetrate and no look dish to Brimah that should've been an easy 2, but Amida dropped it?

That one was on Omar. It was an awkward pass, he had a lane to the basket.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

The point is Rico was responding to hyperthink about OC never passing. OC should have driven all the way because of the open lane. Brimah wasn't expecting the pass. He was going for a rebound. Failed attempt but great to see guys trying to get Brimah involved on offense.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Yeah, would've been perfectly fine with Omar driving all the way to the hoop. But love the unselfishness.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The point is Rico was responding to hyperthink about OC never passing. OC should have driven all the way because of the open lane. Brimah wasn't expecting the pass. He was going for a rebound. Failed attempt but great to see guys trying to get Brimah involved on offense.

I understand that, but I disagree with the premise. Omar plays team ball. His shooting when open is a top option for this team, not selfishness. His passing up a lay-up isn't unselfishness, it's a poor play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom