Omar with back to back practices is a Big Deal. | The Boneyard

Omar with back to back practices is a Big Deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Ed Daigneault ‏@EdDaigneault Dec 16
Omar Calhoun is a game-time decision Thursday against Duke. Not exactly news. He did practice today.

Ed Daigneault ‏@EdDaigneault 1h1 hour ago
Omar Calhoun practiced with UConn in New Jersey today. Still a game-time decision for tomorrow night against Duke.

Pretty sure yesterday and today are Omar's first back to back full practices with UConn since sustaining his injury. Have we been off base with our assumptions?

Reaction Score
let's also make sure to identify "we" as the posters who are posting/tweeting out of their ass with no actual source for their assumptions...let's make that clear(c)Funk Flex

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
let's also make sure to identify "we" as the posters who are posting/tweeting out of their ass with no actual source for their assumptions...let's make that clear(c)Funk Flex
I'm in that we, as are some of the longest tenured members of the yard. It's an ass chorus at this point.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If he plays I hope expectations are lowered.
If he plays, I suspect that the expectations of many here who already have him out the door will be dashed the moment he steps on the court, because that will prove them wrong.

Personally, I'm thrilled with the news of back-to-back practices and the prospect that he may contribute this season after all. He is needed badly.

Reaction Score
8893 said:
If he plays, I suspect that the expectations of many here who already have him out the door will be dashed the moment he steps on the court, because that will prove them wrong. Personally, I'm thrilled with the news of back-to-back practices and the prospect that he may contribute this season after all. He is needed badly.

I think many were assuming that there were academic complications on top of injury concerns. Grades should be in by now.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
He's just gotta at least let DHam get a breather. At the rate he's going, Hamilton could easily be gassed or injured by February. I think letting him play a little more sparingly will give him longevity and make him more of a spark plug when he is in. If Omar can bang 3s, it's a bonus for me. Just play smart, crash boards, and hustle.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for the kid. Whatever he needs to mentally get over this hurdle I hope he figures it out - It's his career on the line and no one else. I will happily admit I had the situation pegged wrong when he steps onto the court w/ a UConn jersey on, and I am starting to get the sense that will happen again.

Reaction Score
Omar made the AAC All Academic team last year, I understand things happen from semester to semester but why would anyone assume he ran into "academic complications"? Ya'll just throwing feces at the wall now and trying to see what sticks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think many were assuming that there were academic complications on top of injury concerns. Grades should be in by now.
Ah, I hadn't picked up on the academic concerns; only the extrapolation from KO's comments and the lack of any comments from Omar himself.

I'll admit I bought it, too, until I observed Omar's body language last game and the circumstances since. And I will be happy to have been wrong. Our guys are my guys as long as they are our guys, if that makes sense.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
If I can't practice, I can't practice man. If I'm hurt, I'm hurt. I mean … simple as that. It ain't about that... I mean it's... It's not about that... At all. You know what I'm saying I mean... But it's...it's easy … to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about practice. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We ain't talking about the game. [more laughter] We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about practice right now.

I couldnt resist - with that said I wish and hope for Omar to hit the floor running and proves all the beetchs wrong...

Reaction Score

Huh? He gets consistently praised for his academic work. Who thought there were academic issues?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I didn't think anything was really off in this situation until it appeared KO was calling people out. Maybe that's what some of us misinterpreted. Maybe he wasn't actually calling anyone out.

Reaction Score
I didn't think anything was really off in this situation until it appeared KO was calling people out. Maybe that's what some of us misinterpreted. Maybe he wasn't actually calling anyone out.
That, and then that Borges tweet that kind of fueled the fire.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That, and then that Borges tweet that kind of fueled the fire.
I thought the Borges tweet was a joke immediately, just as I thought about the tweet to which he was replying. I figured everyone else did, too, but I guess not.

The transfer chatter was already out there, but the University of Puerto Rico part clearly telegraphed a joke imo given his recent issue down there during the tourney.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
if he can at the least come in and play hard defense and rebound i'll be happy... don't force the issue and and make smart decisions... he doesn't even have to jack up shots, just play defense and rebound

Reaction Score
He did practice 2 days in a row a couple of weeks ago so this wasn't the fist time since the injury. I wasn't one of the those who read too much in KO's comments. I thought he had a pretty good situation here and didn't think he would be practicing and sitting with the team if he was leaving. Of course he still hasn't played in a game yet but let's hope it's tomorrow. The way I see it is if he gets in against Duke and doesn't perform he'll get pulled and so it would be like we still didn't have him But if he hits a couple of buckets it may provide the spark we need to just to pull off the upset. Omar gets 11 including 3 three's UConn wins 77 - 74

Reaction Score
If I can't practice, I can't practice man. If I'm hurt, I'm hurt. I mean … simple as that. It ain't about that... I mean it's... It's not about that... At all. You know what I'm saying I mean... But it's...it's easy … to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about practice. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice. I mean, listen, we're talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about practice. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about practice man. What are we talking about? Practice? We're talking about practice, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about practice. We're talking about practice. We ain't talking about the game. [more laughter] We're talking about practice, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about practice right now.

I couldnt resist - with that said I wish and hope for Omar to hit the floor running and proves all the beetchs wrong...
We talkin bout practice, man.

Reaction Score
It's an ass chorus at this point.[/QUOTE]

We talkin' fots and French horns here?

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score

Go to minute 30:20, AI talking about playing with heart. Reminds me a lot of Boat, Bazz, and Kemba. I hope Omar feels the same way about the game.

C

Chief00

Maybe Ollie's learning to tweak guys like Calhoun has for years. Remember the F4 comment to DD before the FL game - nobody is talking about you!

Reaction Score
I believe that Omar had one of the highest GPAs on the team last season. Not sure how I remember that but I do recall KO praising Omar for his academics. I'm thinking he just isn't trusting the knee and that is understandable after last season when he likely came back too soon.

Reaction Score
Usually if you go to a catholic high school you have got to be pretty smart...usually

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom