Omar: he looks so smooth on those 15 footers | The Boneyard

Omar: he looks so smooth on those 15 footers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I absolutely hate how Omar seems to release the ball on the way up. That will keep him from being consistent as a shooter.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Work on the least-efficient, lowest-return shots in the sport?

caw

Reaction Score

In general you are correct but there are cases where you aren't. It really all comes down to percentages and math for each player. If you are 50% on midrange and <33% on three then take the midrange every time.

Reaction Score
In general you are correct but there are cases where you aren't. It really all comes down to percentages and math for each player. If you are 50% on midrange and <33% on three then take the midrange every time.

Math? You come to the BY with math? Haha

Reaction Score

I think Omar is at least 100% on midrange shots. How can you argue with that?

Reaction Score
image_thumb168.png

Reaction Score
I'm just glad Omar finally got a bucket. Its been like forever since his previous basket. Hopefully this gets his confidence going.
His first shot looked looked great, but his second shot looked like last year all over...wasn't even close. Hopefully he sticks with the first one

pj

Reaction Score
I absolutely hate how Omar seems to release the ball on the way up. That will keep him from being consistent as a shooter.

Probably an illusion, he probably releases at the top which is optimal technique for avoiding blocks, but you are used to seeing players who get to the top, take a good look at the basket and calibrate their distance, and shoot on the way down, and in comparison it seems like he shoots early.

Reaction Score
Probably an illusion, he probably releases at the top which is optimal technique for avoiding blocks, but you are used to seeing players who get to the top, take a good look at the basket and calibrate their distance, and shoot on the way down, and in comparison it seems like he shoots early.

It's not how, it's how many.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
caw said:

Fair enough

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
His first shot looked looked great, but his second shot looked like last year all over...wasn't even close. Hopefully he sticks with the first one

The first one was in rhythm, and he was open. On the second one, he was covered pretty well and forced it. That was the main difference.

Reaction Score
I don't care how he shoots the ball. Just get some buckets! His shot looks a lot better than Shawn Marion's though :cool:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Math Witch:

10 shots for 2 @ 50% = 10 points
10 shots for 3 @ 33% = 10 points

Reaction Score
Well...OK!

But you know we have to burn you, now. Right?

The only downside here, and I hate to bring this up. But exactly NO ONE IN BASKETBALL shots at 50% from midrange. The very, very best NBA midrange shooters barely cross this threshold(Dirk Nowitzky was the only NBA player to cross it last year).

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2011/9/24/2446337/who-are-the-nbas-most-valuable-mid-range-shooters

For comparison, the best 3 pt shooters are in the 45% range, unless you are Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, who is shooting 59% this year from 3 land. This suggests it much easier to shoot over 33% from 3 than get to some mythological unicorn 50% number from midrange.

Additionally, There is zero upside to this shot because you are not ever getting fouled (like when you drive to the tin.)

So the argument is a fallacy,

Either way, basketball theory out of the way, we need buckets from Calhoun!

Reaction Score
The only downside here, and I hate to bring this up. But exactly NO ONE IN BASKETBALL shots at 50% from midrange. The very, very best NBA midrange shooters barely cross this threshold(Dirk Nowitzky was the only NBA player to cross it last year).

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2011/9/24/2446337/who-are-the-nbas-most-valuable-mid-range-shooters

For comparison, the best 3 pt shooters are in the 45% range, unless you are Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, who is shooting 59% this year from 3 land. This suggests it much easier to shoot over 33% from 3 than get to some mythological unicorn 50% number from midrange.

Additionally, There is zero upside to this shot because you are not ever getting fouled (like when you drive to the tin.)

So the argument is a fallacy,

Either way, basketball theory out of the way, we need buckets from Calhoun!

How about this?

Omar for some bizarre reason: 10 shots at 75% from 15 ft: 15 points > 10 shots from 3 at 10%: 3.

Shouldn't we have to take into account the shooter here? The argument works since he's not hitting 3 but he has always excelled at the midrange game.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I was just explaining math,
From the basketball point of view the 3 has a big advantage if you shoot 35 -40% but I think you need to score from all over to keep the defense honest.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I would like to see him drive more. If he gets easy points he'll gain confidence and his jumpers will improve both mid and long range.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Not saying that all he should shoot is long two point shots, but make a few then he will have his confidence back and then take open, in-rhythm threes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom