OT: - Olympics: U.S. Women’s Soccer | The Boneyard

OT: Olympics: U.S. Women’s Soccer

Reaction Score
Their first game against Sweden is tomorrow morning 7:30 ET. 4 hours before I get up so, “Let’s go to the video tape”.

Reaction Score

Wednesday, July 21​

SportEventTime (ET)Channel (U.S.)Channel (Canada)
SoftballMexico vs. Canada2 a.m. - 4 a.m.NBCSNCBC
Women's SoccerGreat Britain vs. Chile3:30 a.m. - 5:30 a.m.Olympic ChannelCBC
Women's SoccerChina vs. Brazil4 a.m. - 6 a.m.NBCSNCBC
Women's SoccerU.S. vs. Sweden4:30 a.m. - 6:30 a.m.USACBC
Women's SoccerJapan vs. Canada6:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.NBCSNCBC
Women's SoccerNetherlands vs. Zambia7 a.m. - 9 a.m.Olympic ChannelCBC
Women's SoccerAustralia vs. New Zealand7:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.USACBC

from The Sporting News website

Reaction Score
Their first game against Sweden is tomorrow morning 7:30 ET. 4 hours before I get up so, “Let’s go to the video tape”.
Glad we got the facts right. (Watch for the word "football" to be used in scheduling to denote the sport. That's what the rest of the world calls "soccer.")
As only 12 teams are participating, the games should all be tough. Absent are Germany and France, two of the best in the world after the US.
Hopefully, Julie Ertz will be back in her familiar center position to defend and distribute. Lindsay Horan will play there, too, and is no slouch. Expect Tobin Heath to continue to be effective up front. The US has the best squad ever assembled, but the possession game they are playing now has never fully suited them. However, their defense should dominate, and they should bring back the gold.
Thanks to BY for allowing comments on the USWNT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Comcast in Connecticut is showing USA softball vs Italy at 11 p.m. {NBC sports) and USA Womens Soccer at 4:30 a.m - Wednesday (on
USA)

Reaction Score
Glad we got the facts right. (Watch for the word "football" to be used in scheduling to denote the sport. That's what the rest of the world calls "soccer.")
As only 12 teams are participating, the games should all be tough. Absent are Germany and France, two of the best in the world after the US.
Hopefully, Julie Ertz will be back in her familiar center position to defend and distribute. Lindsay Horan will play there, too, and is no slouch. Expect Tobin Heath to continue to be effective up front. The US has the best squad every assembled, but the possession game they are playing now has never fully suited them. However, their defense should dominate, and they should bring back the gold.
Thanks to BY for allowing comments on the USWNT.

The post you quoted has the facts completely wrong when it comes to the game's starting time.

Reaction Score
[ ] Sorry for the misinformation. I taped the replay on NBCSC. Thought it was the live airing. I gotta slow down on those breakfast mimosas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The post you quoted has the facts completely wrong when it comes to the game's starting time.
You misunderstood my post. I started to Reply to the thread's misstatement about the starting time of the USA v. Sweden game this morning. Then I saw that several others had already made the correction, so I omitted repeating the correct time (4:30 AM) and just made a comment about the match.
You're correct: the post I quoted DID have the wrong time; that's why I started to correct it. Only important that we got it right . . .

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, as an insomniac, watching the game and it looks like the US team is sleeping better than I am (and worse). (at least in the first 15 minutes). :oops::oops::oops:

Sweden scores at the 25'. The US are playing worse than your general sleep walker, they are comatose and worse, they do not look like they have ever played soccer. Bleech. Will they be shaken out of their doldrums????

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Its only 2 am here and like 4 hours before my usual bedtime, but our inept play shouldn't be any surprise, man - as we're always bad against Sweden.

Reaction Score
I've been watching US women's soccer for a very long time, and we have never had a team that could play possession football. We just don't connect very well on a regular basis. Our team is made up of individual stars who often enough hook up for excellent goals, but who rarely control the run of play. Sweden is exactly the opposite. You have to wonder how anyone can best them when they play as they are today.
BUT: still a half to go. The Americans have the best scorers in the world; they will be tested.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and Sweden is very accurate when shooting.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well 2-0 at 55'. Maybe I was wrong. Cancel the Olympics. :oops:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well 3-0 at 72';, Sweden getting no resistance. Honestly, could be 6-0. Where is Martinique when you need them? Good thing Sweden does not have a Basketball team :rolleyes:

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Sweden has a roster of great players and theyre running us off the field. You wonder if this is the last run for us. We're getting old. Rapinoe is 36. Morgan, Press, Heath are getting close to mid 30s and Lloyd is almost finished.

Don't see how we wont decline soon unless our new generation rises up faster than we expect. Sophia Smith is not close to being ready but I hope she starts getting good, and fast. Because Sweden is giving us a lesson on how to play soccer. I don't know if we'll even beat Australia and we certainly wont beat England or Netherlands.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The balance of power in women’s soccer has been shifting for a number of years. For many years, women’s soccer was dominated by the US, Japan, China, Australia, Brazil & Canada. Strangely enough, while Europe dominated men’s soccer, they were largely late to ramp up women’s soccer, although Sweden & Norway have been relatively strong teams for many years.

That began to change dramatically over the last 5-10 years as more European nations significantly upgraded their developmental programs for women’s soccer. During the last Women’s World Cup in 2019, while the US won in a thrilling tournament, European countries were clearly superior to every other country in the world.

Time will tell whether the US can remain one of the top women’s programs in the world. But to do so, the US will have to face an onslaught of top European teams that will only get better.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The balance of power in women’s soccer has been shifting for a number of years. For many years, women’s soccer was dominated by the US, Japan, China, Australia, Brazil & Canada. Strangely enough, while Europe dominated men’s soccer, they were largely late to ramp up women’s soccer.

That began to change dramatically over the last 5-10 years as more European nations significantly upgraded their developmental programs for women’s soccer. During the last Women’s World Cup in 2019, while the US won in a thrilling tournament, European countries were clearly superior to every other country in the world.

Time will tell whether the US can remain one of the top women’s programs in the world. But to do so, the US will have to face an onslaught of top European teams that will only get better.
Correct me if I am wrong but don't alot of the International players still go through the US college system?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom