Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When a UConn alum plays poorly, it’s not jealousy to point it out. I would find Kara annoying if she gushed over someone who didn’t deserve it but I’ve never heard her do that so it seems odd to expect it now.

Kara is one of the best sportscasters around. She’s very fair and objective in her statements, to the point she was elected an unofficial Boneyarder a few years ago.

When did that become a BY characteristic? :)

Reaction Score
France up 17-13. Gabby had one great block, a nice 3pt basket and looked generally very active. Then was substituted half way through 1Q
France has a good team with height and skilled players, Gabby among them. She played well, was disruptive on defense and able to beat her defenders to the paint. She is an obvious asset for team France. The UCONN players on the US squad did well, Sue, Stewie and Tina were focused and effective against this medal contender.

Reaction Score
I think it’s obvious that the national team pool lacks solid wing players. Napheesa likely got the nod because she can slide to the wing, but it’s not her natural position. Dawn is playing Stewie at the 3 spot and giving her big minutes. When you play the best player in the world out of position, they are still really good. I’m interested to see the future of this position for USA bb, since Maya looks all but retired.

Reaction Score
OMG 96-69. PR falls apart in 4Q. I think that means Australia in and Canada out..

Very Olympian way to go out for the Canadians. Watching the scores of others to see if they qualify.

Reaction Score
not sure who objectically thought Canada had any shot at medaling. France Usa China Australia are all better than they are and then you take into effect Serbia Japan and Belgium idk where they were going to come close to medaling. Kia Nurse has been inconsistent with the mercury and she is arguably the best player on the team. Achonwa just has too much injury history to ever be relied on. What I don't get is why they called up Edwards if they had no intention of giving her playing time. It seems it might have been better to just stay in Storrs training with her teammates.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
According to FanDuels: USA versus Australia is at 12:30 AM...our time...Wednesday morning...on USANetwork.
Apparently the other 3 quarterfinal games follow directly going into more normal AM times for us.

Reaction Score
I think it’s obvious that the national team pool lacks solid wing players. Napheesa likely got the nod because she can slide to the wing, but it’s not her natural position. Dawn is playing Stewie at the 3 spot and giving her big minutes. When you play the best player in the world out of position, they are still really good. I’m interested to see the future of this position for USA bb, since Maya looks all but retired.
Yeah, the lack of Delle Donne shows as well as Mcaultry. And of course Maya!!!

Reaction Score
Yeah, the lack of Delle Donne shows as well as Mcaultry. And of course Maya!!!

But EDD has medical issues, and could remain out for longer due to fear of Covid. Maya may never return.

This is the best we've got.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I was impressed w/ Johannes last night, as well as Rupert and Gruda. Is Marine going to rejoin the Liberty eventually? She could be a nice addition with what they are starting to build there.

Reaction Score
What I don't get is why they called up Edwards if they had no intention of giving her playing time. It seems it might have been better to just stay in Storrs training with her teammates.
She trained with her national team which is likely part of her basketball life for a number of years going forward, and...she represented her country in the Olympics - that's quite an honor, no? Olympics with national team versus Storrs summer practice - what's to choose?

Reaction Score
Way too many turnovers for the USA
(Jewell Loyd had 3 within 2 minutes).
Fortunately, Australia has even more.
If there was any doubt about who the best player is, just watch the first half.
STEWIE

Reaction Score
USA up 21 at the half.
Stewie has 20 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 blocks at the half.
20 points on just 8 fga's
Gray with a boost off the bench.
Downside ?
USA has 11 turnovers at the half.
Fortunately, Australia has 15.

Reaction Score
68-39 after 3q.
USA on cruise control.
Stewie even got some rest !
When she's out, simply drop the ball down low to Griner.

Reaction Score
The bench was cleared at the start of the 4th quarter.
Fwiw, I think the USA will have to look for 2 new starting guards. Not sure if they're already on the roster. Maybe Grey.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Anyone know when this game is going to be replayed?

Day?
Our time?
Channel?

And: we play Serbia in the semis?

Friday!
Our time?
Channel?

Go Stewie...go USA!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As the game was starting, I texted a couple of friends and said: "We have Stewie and they don't." She was really, really, really good--against the #2 team in the world. Sue and Dee were able to rest the entire 4th quarter.

It was an odd box score with 0 points combined for Jewell and Tina. Sue shot 3-4, all from the arc, and tallied 5 assists and 0 turnovers. What is her Olympic assist total? Does she have the record?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I wonder why Phee is the odd woman out?? Didn't she tear up SC during her career? ;)
She played the last 5 minutes. 2 Rebounds and seemed a little more aggressive on offense but basically blocked 2 times.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Belgium / Japan was an absolute classic. I wont give it away but wow. Clutch 3pt shooting by both teams and a real game of runs ending in heartbreak.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Belgium / Japan was an absolute classic. I wont give it away but wow. Clutch 3pt shooting by both teams and a real game of runs ending in heartbreak.
That was one hell-of-a game. Really well played by both teams.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
That first half by Stewie was remindful of her half [second?] against ND in the semifinals of
the NCAA in her frosh year....2013. We had lost 3 games that year to ND..all very tight.
Stewie made sure 'twas not 4 in a row...don't remember who we beat in the finals but beat them we did.
That started a nice run against ND...marked in her soph year by a finals win over them in the only match-up of 2 undefeated teams.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Absolute beat down of the Aussies by the Americans. USA front line of Stewie, Wilson & Griner has upped their game to the point of dominance, and Sue has found her shot. It looks like everyone else is playing for silver and bronze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom