Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Olympic women's basketball tournament (5x5) (SPOILER ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Japan keeps taking the US bigs off the bounce. Dawn needs to go with Stewie and Aja as the only bigs on the floor.

Reaction Score
Now WIlson, Stewart, and Taurasi come back in with about 5 minutes left to play, and a 10-pt. + lead. The nails in the coffin for the Nippon Netters....

Reaction Score
Looks like Japan died a little by the 3-pointer tonight. Can't argue it though - they were totally out-matched in the paint.....

Reaction Score
Yuk. That game was hard to watch. And why did they choose three players for the team that Dawn Staley is afraid to put on the court?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Japan shot 6-10 from the arc in Q1, then 4-28 after that. The defense clamped down. Stewie played some 3 and some 4 and did a lot of ball-handling. She had 15/13. A'ja was strong again with 20/10. 30 assists to 17 TOs was better than 25 to 25 against Nigeria. Sue was 0 for Tokyo until she got a friendly roll on a trey. But she had 6 assists and 2 steals. Atkins played the last 1:30 or so. Sky and Phee didn't get in.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Japan plays tough, they don't quit, and they run their offense--drive and kick to the arc--very well. They beat a very good French team in their first game.

Reaction Score
Terrible team defense in the first quarter. Japan had 30 points. Camera work was awful. Bird's eye view doesn't work in basketball and this obsession with showing every player from Japan after they score, or are substituted in or out was annoying when there is live action in the game. Not a smooth offense at all. If the ball goes inside it is either a shot, often with no one else under, or a bad pass by a big.

Only a handful of fast breaks all night and if Gray gets the ball in transition, it's no longer a break with her over dribbling. Bird has made one field goal in two games, something like 1-14. Just a different team than we are used to in the Olympics. Stewie played the entire 3rd quarter. She took her first shot in that period with 11 seconds to go. That has to change.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Do we know the channel and [our] time for the replay of USA/Japan?

If...IF...they do what they did after Nigeria, it would be Friday afternoon at 4:15 on USA Network.

Reaction Score

If...IF...they do what they did after Nigeria, it would be Friday afternoon at 4:15 on USA Network.
Yes 4:15, but this time on NBCSN.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Am I the only person who noticed this? Unless my poor old eyes are deceiving me, for the last 2 minutes of the 3rd period Stewie played the point. She was on the floor with Gray, Loyd, Tina & Sylvia. She brought the ball up, set up the offense at the top of the key & ran the offense. Call her a point forward if you want but she was doing exactly what a point guard does, & doing it pretty well.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
I agree with what someone said above. Their best team against this small lineup was Wilson at the 5 & Stewie at the 4, with Sue, Dee, & Loyd. It looks like Stewie is becoming the glue player on this team. A little of everything. Handling, shooting, rebounding, defending, blocking. I think her line was something like 15 pts., 13 boards, 6 assists, 2 blocks.

Reaction Score
I agree with what someone said above. Their best team against this small lineup was Wilson at the 5 & Stewie at the 4, with Sue, Dee, & Loyd. It looks like Stewie is becoming the glue player on this team. A little of everything. Handling, shooting, rebounding, defending, blocking. I think her line was something like 15 pts., 13 boards, 6 assists, 2 blocks.
Even though A'ja is playing great, leading in scoring. Have you noticed who is on the floor almost the whole game, with all the lineups? Dawn doesn't take Stewie out much at all.

Reaction Score
Even though A'ja is playing great, leading in scoring. Have you noticed who is on the floor almost the whole game, with all the lineups? Dawn doesn't take Stewie out much at all.
Looking over Fiba stats for 2 games Stewie 34.4 minutes per game, only 3 players in the tournament with more. Gill from Spain 36.9, Nurse from Canada 36.1, and Takada from Japan 34.7.
If we have so many great players, why is Stewie playing almost the full game?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Am I the only person who noticed this? Unless my poor old eyes are deceiving me, for the last 2 minutes of the 3rd period Stewie played the point. She was on the floor with Gray, Loyd, Tina & Sylvia. She brought the ball up, set up the offense at the top of the key & ran the offense. Call her a point forward if you want but she was doing exactly what a point guard does, & doing it pretty well.
Yes, I don't think I've ever seen Stewie handle the ball this much. Some of it was out of necessity to help break the full court pressure, but I also noticed the stretch you mention, where she somehow seemed more the PG than Gray or Loyd.

Looking over Fiba stats for 2 games Stewie 34.4 minutes per game, only 3 players in the tournament with more. Gill from Spain 36.9, Nurse from Canada 36.1, and Takada from Japan 34.7.
If we have so many great players, why is Stewie playing almost the full game?
We have great players overall but we are weakest at the wing position. Stewie in fact is playing mostly out of position at wing, but she's still far better than any other option.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think Dawn has said on multiple occasions that Stewie is the best player in the world.

Reaction Score
I think Dawn has said on multiple occasions that Stewie is the best player in the world.
It seems obvious Dawn has decided, Stewie is the Most Important Player on the team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It seems obvious Dawn has decided, Stewie is the Most Important Player on the team.
She has had a front row for Stewie quite a few times so hardly a new observation I imagine,.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No one mentioned the China / Australia game where 2 late O'Shea 3pt shots tie it at 74 with 2 seconds left so it is looking like OT but China throws a minimally contested lob into their post and is forced to foul, Game Over. If only Australia had some size in the post. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

On now on NBCSN

Reaction Score
That's also because there is no real 3 position player on this team. Pheesa is supposed to be a swing but she is lost out there and out of her depth. You either run a set with 3 bigs with Stewie at the 3 or a 3 guard offense with a 2 guard at the 3. It's ridiculous. If we win the Gold, Sue and D have to control the team, not Dawn.
Read all the critical comments and reasons why we are so bad. Just watched the game for a second time and counted over 20 fouls not called as our opponents know they can get away with hatch-a-Shaq and not get called.when we get pressed there is grabbing and hacking not called.I did notice on one play where Dee shoved the player guarding her and never got called for it.To me what I watched was not basketball

Reaction Score
Read all the critical comments and reasons why we are so bad. Just watched the game for a second time and counted over 20 fouls not called as our opponents know they can get away with hatch-a-Shaq and not get called.when we get pressed there is grabbing and hacking not called.I did notice on one play where Dee shoved the player guarding her and never got called for it.To me what I watched was not basketball
If you watched Stewie in the second half bringing the ball up, she was being shoved , so she took her off arm and just moved the Japanese girl out of the way.
They didn't stop, but neither did Stewie.
Not the way we like to play, but if referees won't call fouls , that's the way you play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom