Ollie Wins Award | The Boneyard

Ollie Wins Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll admit I'm a bit diappointed that there are still awards for recognizing him as a top "minority" coach.

Thirty or twenty years ago? Maybe.

In 2013? Not so much.

But congratulations to him.

You think there should still be a Rooney Rule or no?

Reaction Score
He is a great role model and the fact he has become so successful has to be inspiring. I hope this is why there is still an award of this kind out there. Nonetheless kudos to coach for beating out all the other African American, Native American, Hispanic and Asian coaches.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Ollie!

Hopefully he'll be on National TV, where recruits can see him and want to come to UConn! This is a positive thing for UConn & UConn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to coach. Given that it appears he was shut out of any discussion for NCOY honors (and he should have been in the discussion at the very least), it's nice to see some recognition. I have to admit, I agree with the people who raised eyebrows that a "top minority coach" award still exists...

I think Ollie is such a great role model and he showed this year he has a pretty good handle on motivating kids as well as giving kids a longer leash to play thru mistakes and make in-game strategic adjustments.

I'm waiting/hoping for the recruiting floodgates to open for UCONN as it seems like it should be only a matter of time before we see that happen.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You think there should still be a Rooney Rule or no?

Honestly, Rooney Rule is kind of stupid as it is. You generally go from position coach to coordinator to HC. The focus should be on getting guys from position coach to coordinator. And you need a solid mentoring program at coordinator level to ensure guys have skills to be successful. An interview here and there just isn't enough.

Lot's of black position coaches, some coordinators, and not many HCs. A guy like Pepper Johnson should be a defensive coordinator now.

Reaction Score
First of many to come. Congrats Coach!

Hell if they decide to keep that award then he'll probably win it every year here on out.

Reaction Score
@UConnMBB: #UCONN: Congratulations to Coach Kevin Ollie, winner of the Ben Jobe Award, presented Friday night. #BLEEDBLUE http://post original url/t3b6fhfdMG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom