Ollie vs. JC | The Boneyard

Ollie vs. JC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Much has been made of the differences in coaching style between KO and JC. Last night in the opening minutes of the game, I was very aware of this difference. The game started horribly for DeAndre Daniels, first he totally lost his man on defense for a lay up and then at the offensive end of the court, he has a pass go right between his legs for a TO. I thought immediately, here's where JC would give him the quick hook. But predictably, KO left him in for a few minutes and THEN sat him down for like a minute or so. I don't know what was communicated to him on the bench at that time, but when he quickly returned he had one of his best games of the year! I have to wonder if JC would have not only given him the ultra-quick hook, but would have also left him on the bench to stew for awhile! I think KO's approach is working with some of the fragile egos on the current team. I was also impressed by some of his Xs and Os type moves last night, the changing defenses and some subtle offensive changes seemed to really pay off! I think we found the right guy to take us into the unknown future!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
One thing I have been thinking about lately is how interesting it is that JC picked someone who is in some ways so different from him to be his successor. I think that this is another indication of JC's great eye for talent. I'm guessing that JC just knew that KO has "it," and more of "it" than his other assistants over whom KO was promoted. It is surprising and kinda cool to see JC looking so calm sitting and watching the games from the stands.

Reaction Score
JC knew what he was doing when he played his game with Warde, the guy has been coaching for over 30 years, you'd think he'd know who would be the right person to lead this program. Warde should have just shut his yap and this could have been a much smoother transition. In the end KO got the long term deal and all is well in Storrs, but this could have gone wrong had JC no played chicken with Warde.

Reaction Score
One thing I have been thinking about lately is how interesting it is that JC picked someone who is in some ways so different from him to be his successor. I think that this is another indication of JC's great eye for talent. I'm guessing that JC just knew that KO has "it," and more of "it" than his other assistants over whom KO was promoted. It is surprising and kinda cool to see JC looking so calm sitting and watching the games from the stands.

They are so different yet similar at the same time. They have both come from humble beggings and worked so hard for success. I think in some ways, JC sees himself in KO.

Reaction Score
Great thread and comments. I thought I would b so sad and worried post JC, but I've been calm and so encouraged.

Reaction Score
Well, I missed that part watching on TV but actually like it even better that way! The key differences, I think, JC would have either got in his face yelling or totally ignored him and then left him on the bench to stew for extended minutes. That worked with some guys, others, not so much. I really have no idea, but my guess is Kevin told him something specific he missed on defense and explained that his missing the pass was the result of him worrying about the previous play. I'm guessing also he said something like, play through your mistakes, you're my guy, now get out there again and take it to them! Whatever he said or did, it sure seemed to light a fire in DeAndre!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom