Ollie Should Stick with Today's Lineup | The Boneyard

Ollie Should Stick with Today's Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Though we didn't play good the entire game, we really finished strong. The lineup of Adams, Gibbs, Hamilton, Miller, and Nolan was solid. Once Brimah comes back, sub him for Nolan and we have our lineup for the rest of the year.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not convinced yet that RP sits ongoing
KF and PN are interchangeable so that's fine.

Reaction Score
Purvis will return, when he gets out of his slump. Jalen just needs one full season, he is not ready yet.
Those unforced turnovers will not be in his game next year.

Reaction Score
Purvis needs to keep going to the rim and get easy shots. Though he can't just roll over people. He added a nice mid range floater in beginning of the season but that has almost disappeared. He needs to play smarter on offense and not rely on his 3.

Reaction Score
Purvis will return, when he gets out of his slump. Jalen just needs one full season, he is not ready yet.
Those unforced turnovers will not be in his game next year.

Yeah JA definitely makes some silly freshman mistakes but I like what he brings to the table.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Odd to see Purvis get the pine after his lone bad performance of the season. You would have figured DHam would have saw the bench before Rodney did. We got the win but did we just trade Hamilton's slump for a wounded Purvis ego?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Odd to see Purvis get the pine after his lone bad performance of the season. You would have figured DHam would have saw the bench before Rodney did. We got the win but did we just trade Hamilton's slump for a wounded Purvis ego?

If it were any other player on this roster, I'd be concerned. But not Rodney. He does not have an ego. I don't think it matters for him if he comes off the bench.

I think the 2 early charge calls threw him off his game a bit. The second one was borderline at best. Sitting for almost the whole first half didn't let him get acclimated to the game. He was 0-5 from the field today, but I don't think he forced anything. 2 of his 3-pters were more than halfway down. He had a transition layup that he should have made, but I think Houston's rims were really rigid... lots of shots rimming out. Rodney has a nice stroke so I'm not worried about him suddenly getting cold from deep. I hope he continues to drive the lane and does not get hesitant in that regard. He's our only guard on the team with the strength and athleticism to get in the lane and finish near the rim with contact.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

The difference between a Purvis slump and a Hamilton slump is that Hamilton will still grab 14 boards against Tulsa to go along with his 5 points. For a team that has been getting beaten regularly on the boards, we can't lose that. I'm pretty sure that factored into Ollie's decision on keeping Hamilton in the lineup. He was our leading rebounder today also...

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
The difference between a Purvis slump and a Hamilton slump is that Hamilton will still grab 14 boards against Tulsa to go along with his 5 points. For a team that has been getting beaten regularly on the boards, we can't lose that. I'm pretty sure that factored into Ollie's decision on keeping Hamilton in the lineup. He was our leading rebounder today also...
Yep, Hamilton is obviously our most important player overall but his prolonged slump could have been handled differently I thought. If KO had sat him down to start a game or more often throughout a game to try to get him back on track that I couldn't have faulted him for that. Not saying I think he or Rodney ever deserved to be removed from the starting lineup moving forward.

I don't know how KO should proceed with his starting lineup. While most of us could care less that isn't always the case within the locker room to certain players. Not saying Purvis is selfish or entitled but every player has an ego to a certain extent and being HC means managing every player's egos and expectations.

One bad game out of his last 22 and he is removed from the starting lineup...it just seemed like a knee jerk move that may have worked this game as Jalen played great but Purvis was even worse than vs Tulsa

Reaction Score
Purvis came off the bench for a good chunk last year and was very good in that role. It won't affect him.

Reaction Score
Houston is terrible defensively and Adams had 5 TOs and 2 assists. That is not what I want from a PG.

That needs drastic improvement if he is going to play 30+ min a game.

Reaction Score
Houston is terrible defensively and Adams had 5 TOs and 2 assists. That is not what I want from a PG.

That needs drastic improvement if he is going to play 30+ min a game.

It's called freshman mistakes. They're going to make mistakes and they're going to learn from them. Kemba was the same way if not worse as a freshman.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Purvis came off the bench for a good chunk last year and was very good in that role. It won't affect him.
Not during his good stretch at the end of the season though

Reaction Score
Odd to see Purvis get the pine after his lone bad performance of the season.
To me, guys like Purvis are like anti-glue guys. Unglue guys. Glue guys don't necessarily load up the stat sheet, but they do several things well, play as a team, and so on.
Guys like Purvis flash out for 24 points and get you thinking,
"this guy is great," but, for whatever reason, they don't seem to make the team better when they're doing it. Carmelo Anthony comes to mind.
I'm in the "play Jalen" camp. Dude just flat out brings energy, gets people involved (directly or indirectly), and has the tools we need, whether or not they are fine tuned. We definitely don't need more of the same Tulsa like stuff.

Reaction Score
It's called freshman mistakes. They're going to make mistakes and they're going to learn from them. Kemba was the same way if not worse as a freshman.
That is false, but will he not be a freshman next week?

Kemba and Jalen were not the same as a freshman, and no way could ever say "Kemba was worse".

This not a Kemba/Jalen comparison. It is the simple fact he needs to take care of the ball better if he is going to have it in his hands this much, that cannot be argued.

Reaction Score
Something needed to happen. And adams is our best penetrating ball handler. We desperately need that skill. I say live through the mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom