Ollie plays 'his guys' | The Boneyard

Ollie plays 'his guys'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ollie assigns trust to players, and then rides them, unchanging, despite what the results are on the court.

I respect that, in a way. In the Pros, it makes a ton of sense because you have long track records with players, they are more consistent and less variable based on 'momentum' or anything like that.

In college it is so questionable, and today was a great example. It became clear like 5 minutes into the game that Gibbs,Purvis, and Facey were doing absolutely nothing. Gibbs was handcuffed by a great defender, missed wide, WIDE open 3's. Purvis was #badPurv today. It was very clear when he decided to miss every shot outside of 6 inches by a country mile and refused to rotate on defense like 5 times. Facey was getting pushed around the court, gave up like 5 offensive rebounds.

So change! at the very least, don't play them together, rotate lineups, give Enoch more minutes to see if you can get something.

Then, after a game in which Hamilton was GROOVING from 3, and Gibbs was ICE, ICE cold, you set up your final plays for Gibbs coming off screens? He's terrible while on the move!

Done with this version of the Huskies. We need Gibbs/Purvis/Nolan to move on, and recruit more players that can do things off the dribble. Its a huge liability for us right now with this roster. Outside of Jalen, we have no one that can do positive things once they put the ball on the deck.

Reaction Score
I don't like that Purvis picked today to decide to miss his 3s. If only he had decided to make his 3s today, there would have been a different outcome.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Hamilton played a horrible game, he is not getting better and needs to ride the pine for more efficient players. Almost single handedly responsible for losing the lead in the first half. His run in the 2nd half is not good play. He just had a few of the cringe shots he normally takes fall for him.

That said the defense was abysmal and the panic made an another appearance late.

Reaction Score
If your best players don't play well you will probably lose. Nobody on that bench was going to come in and be the difference maker. The bottom line is Gibbs and Purvis aren't the players we thought and hoped we were getting, and unless one or both of those guys catches fire from 3 we are going to struggle.

Reaction Score
Hamilton played a horrible game, he is not getting better and needs to ride the pine for more efficient players. Almost single handedly responsible for losing the lead in the first half. His run in the 2nd half is not good play. He just had a few of the cringe shots he normally takes fall for him.

That said the defense was abysmal and the panic made an another appearance late.
Hamilton's play in the second half is the only reason we weren't blown out.

Reaction Score
His run in the 2nd half is not good play. He just had a few of the cringe shots he normally takes fall for him.

Huh? He certainly struggled in the first half, but down the stretch he put the team on his back. Knocked down open 3's, got inside, found Purivs WIDE OPEN for 3 twice and he missed them both. If anything he needed to look for his shot more down the stretch when it was apparent he wasn't getting help

Reaction Score

I think we watched different games as without DHAM in the second half UCONN's offense became anemic. When KO put him back in we made a run and got ahead. He didn't play well on defense but he was very smart on offense for the most part and kept us in the game. Now SG is another story. He was dreadful and RP couldn't hit an wide open outside shot to save his life.

Reaction Score
I think we watched different games as without DHAM in the second half UCONN's offense became anemic. When KO put him back in we made a run and got ahead. He didn't play well on defense but he was very smart on offense for the most part and kept us in the game. Now SG is another story. He was dreadful and RP couldn't hit an wide open outside shot to save his life.

I agree with you. DHam stops the ball and stops the offense from running at the top of the circle. He just stops ball movement and any called plays.

Reaction Score

Ride pine? He's our best player..

Reaction Score

I think you watched a different game too 3rdbass...do you realize how many wide open 3's Hamilton gave up? I stopped counting after 6. He was a net NEGATIVE in this game.

Reaction Score
There's nothing worse than the "I watched the game" liars.

It seems like we have a lot of fans that only watch the team on offense. Do you guys all close your eyes when we're playing D? Hamilton single handedly gave Houston at least 25 points today...ZERO effort on D. Should not have even started the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
I think you watched a different game too 3rdbass...do you realize how many wide open 3's Hamilton gave up? I stopped counting after 6. He was a net NEGATIVE in this game.
Way to over exaggerate. Without DHAM playing on offense we wouldn't even have been close. RP and SG were off and JA had trouble hitting anything but layups. I agree DHAM was bad on defense but he didn't single handily get beat down the court for easy layups. We lost the game because our defense wasn't hustling as a team and not just DHAM. It was a horrible show of defense for the team.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Hamilton made shot today, but he let up like 15 points on defense.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I agree with you. DHam stops the ball and stops the offense from running at the top of the circle. He just stops ball movement and any called plays.
In addition, I lost count today and for the year how many times DHam takes it to the hoop, one on one clear shot to the basket, floater maybe and kicks it out to Purvis for a three. We lose big points. When he is that close, and does not shoot the lay up or pull up short jumper is beyond me.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Way to over exaggerate. Without DHAM playing on offense we wouldn't even have been close. RP and SG were off and JA had trouble hitting anything but layups. I agree DHAM was bad on defense but he didn't single handily get beat down the court for easy layups. We lost the game because our defense wasn't hustling as a team and not just DHAM. It was a horrible show of defense for the team.
Hit anything but lay ups? Is that a bad thing? He is not known yet as a long range shooter, but he contributes. Who goes to the hoop like him. Nobody. He sliced the defense like they did to us.

Reaction Score
Hit anything but lay ups? Is that a bad thing? He is not known yet as a long range shooter, but he contributes. Who goes to the hoop like him. Nobody. He sliced the defense like they did to us.
No, but we needed a few of those outside shots to open up things inside.

Reaction Score

There's no exaggeration there. I was at the game and counted at least 25 points that he personally was responsible for 6 threes, and 2 lay ups (throwing a lazy pass and not getting back followed closely by standing right under the basket and not even attempting to put a hand up). I believe that's 22...the other 3 points if I'm not mistaken was a foul and 1. There is no making this up. As good as he was on offense, he was much worse on defense. Just amazes me that people don't watch the half of the game when we're playing defense. He had arguably his worst game of the year today, but you guys look at the box score and see 20 points and think he must have played great! We're a better team when DH is a role player and not trying to be the star.

Reaction Score
There's no exaggeration there. I was at the game and counted at least 25 points that he personally was responsible for 6 threes, and 2 lay ups (throwing a lazy pass and not getting back followed closely by standing right under the basket and not even attempting to put a hand up). I believe that's 22...the other 3 points if I'm not mistaken was a foul and 1. There is no making this up. As good as he was on offense, he was much worse on defense. Just amazes me that people don't watch the half of the game when we're playing defense. He had arguably his worst game of the year today, but you guys look at the box score and see 20 points and think he must have played great! We're a better team when DH is a role player and not trying to be the star.
They only made 7 3's total, so Hamilton was responsible for every 3 they made but 1?

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
This team and most players continue to make ill advised shots at the most crucial part of the game. Today just happened to be when they were either up one, down one or tied. That all comes down to mental toughness during the game. This team and most players lack that and it's been apparent all season long. Sad.

Reaction Score
So being the main player on offense is affecting his defense? LOL! I don't seem to be an issue when he was missing shots as his defense was suspect then. We have to live with his bad d but he adds so much more on offense especially when his shot is falling. I see SG and RP to be bigger culprits today. Especially SG who was letting his man get by him all game long for easy fast break points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom