Ollie needs to pick up a technical to start the game against Cincy | The Boneyard

Ollie needs to pick up a technical to start the game against Cincy

Reaction Score
It might sound crazy by why not, in order to set a tone, something big has to happen to start the game, maybe a hard foul needs to occur something big. Cincy is better then us so we gotta do anything we can to gain an edge with our lack of depth.

Reaction Score
last time ollie got a tech everyone lost their mind and said it cost us the game.

Thats why you do it early and not wait till the last minute.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
last time ollie got a tech everyone lost their mind and said it cost us the game.
Context matters.

UConn was down 20. Came back to within 3 in the last few minutes in a game that UConn was getting the bottom end of every 70/30 call (let alone 50/50) and the tech sealed the loss.

Ollie only has a few fatal flaws in his coaching technique, but working the refs is one of them.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Because it was a 5pt game with a minute left he threw a bunch of papers like a baby.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Could not think of a more stupid idea.
IMG_1594.GIF

Reaction Score

Was his last T at the garden when he threw the papers? That happened right in front of where I was sitting. He went nuts.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Cinci is always a physically-imposing team. I have no doubt they are aware of UConn's personnel/depth issues, and will make a point of initiating contact to draw fouls, especially on our bigs. Hopefully UConn can get a fair whistle at their place, but I doubt it.

KO has not had a 'smart' technical foul yet, so I don't expect him to do it this game. We traditionally have close games vs Cinci, KO won't jeopardize the game with a technical... he's been scrutinized for it in the past.

If by some miracle our bigs stay out of foul trouble, we'll have a shot.

Reaction Score
What if UConn starts off up 5-0 with a couple calls going our way? What does Ollie do to get a technical? Yell at the refs "hey you @%ing dicks I hate your stripped shirts"?

Reaction Score
How about just smart disciplined defense with minimal fouls and running Jalen off high pick and rolls the hole game.....?

Reaction Score
Its kind of like doing an onsides kick to start the game stupid if it doesn't work genius if it does.

Reaction Score
Spotting a team already averaging 86 per game at home any points likely won't work.

Reaction Score
The only reason to get a tech to start the game would be to fire up the team. But KO could always do that 5 minutes earlier in the locker room and then we're not spotting them 4 points

Reaction Score
If they call a quick questionable foul on Brimah I could live with a tech. You know AB will pick up at least 2 "what are you doing fouls" but in some fairness to Amida the refs have done him no favors his whole career.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
KO has not had a 'smart' technical foul yet, so I don't expect him to do it this game.

False. Just because it (they) didn't work, the first T he got against LCC at Gampel was "smart". He couldn't help it that Mike Stuart doubled him up.

Reaction Score
False. Just because it (they) didn't work, the first T he got against LCC at Gampel was "smart". He couldn't help it that Mike Stuart doubled him up.

KO has had two outbursts:

1) vs. UL, the no-call on Giff was criminal and KO just lost it. Absolutely no problem with that. We were down 10 or so in the 2nd half, so not much harm done
2) vs. UM, as was said we were getting jobbed all game and the straw that broke the camel's back came at the worst time, basically ended the game. KO has to know better

The problem is, he doesn't work the refs, doesn't earn a favorable (or even neutral) whistle. He doesn't know to take a strategic T. He only reacts once it's gotten past a breaking point, when it's usually too late.

Reaction Score
I'm not totally against motivational technicals (but 2 free throws and the ball is significant, in the NBA, with only one free throw, it was more manageable)...but usually that should be reserved for the more talented team that just needs to wake the hell up. This isn't the case here.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thats why you do it early and not wait till the last minute.
so its ok to protest a bad call early but when the game is on the line and there is a terrible call, the coach sits on his hands - gotcha
good thing 99.9% of contributors on this site aren't coaches above the littleleague/rec level

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The only reason to get a tech to start the game would be to fire up the team. But KO could always do that 5 minutes earlier in the locker room and then we're not spotting them 4 points
Yep - and you know he says nothing because you're sitting in that room
Please provide us with audio/visual so I can have positive and concrete knowledge that KO is talking to a friend on the phone right before game time while the team is whistling Dixie so I too can blast him rightfully
JSMH

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom