Ollie has painted him...self in a corner. | The Boneyard

Ollie has painted him...self in a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been reading the Boneyard for many years. It gives me great insight into many different perspectives regarding the team throughout the season. I tend to read rather than write on Internet forums but after last night I can't stay silent anymore..

First of all I love UCONN basketball I have been a fan since my grandfather made me watch Uncle Cliffy on TV.. I am familiar with all our history and respect it.. Hence why I am here typing now..

I will always pull for any UCONN team this team in all honesty is not good.. Yes plenty of talent but we are not in a talent show. This is not a team, its a group of individuals playing in the same uniform.. With no leader or NBA caliber player on it... Do blow smoke and say head case Hamilton has shown any NBA quality yet.. Has everyone forgot what it's like to have a good team already?... We were blessed with 2 STUD point guards with a good group of role players around them but there is no stud guard to bail out this team with a FEW role players... PLUS THIS TEAM IS SO SOFT... How bout a hard foul there on that last "and one" no way that ball should have ever seen the rim... There is no nasty on this team..And no leader at all period...

Ollie has obviously sold himself out to get these transfers and is keeping his word to them regarding playing time especially Gibbs who threw a hissy and jetted from Texas then last season was a locker room nightmare when a talented freshmen guard was getting time ( at least from many accounts).. A true problem child.. I recall Gibbs saying he chose UCONN because they allow the guards to have freedom well Mr.Gibbs you are no Kemba or Bazz or Boat you do not deserve the freedom they had !!!!!!! They could take the shot clock down and if there was no options then create for themselves and make a clutch shot under pressure... Ollie and his commitment to Gibbs has screwed this team constantly...

This commitment to Gibbs is destroying Adams development and wrecking this team.. Gibbs is a alpha-wanna-be who is just a slow undersized 2 guard with no moves to the hoop and a flat jumper !!!! Ollie is screwing this team up for this year and next year buy not giving Adams the time and teaching him.. If Adams is indeed a Alpha Dog Ollie should know he is going to get messed up if he keeps holding him back especially when Adams and the world knows he is the only point guard on this team and the point of the future.. You can see it on Adams face on the bench. Ollie needs to play him..!!!

Ollie painted himself into this corner buy taking the transfer problem child and refusing to embrace the future. I pray he does not wreck Adams in the process....

Reaction Score
I have been reading the Boneyard for many years. It gives me great insight into many different perspectives regarding the team throughout the season. I tend to read rather than write on Internet forums but after last night I can't stay silent anymore..

First of all I love UCONN basketball I have been a fan since my grandfather made me watch Uncle Cliffy on TV.. I am familiar with all our history and respect it.. Hence why I am here typing now..

I will always pull for any UCONN team this team in all honesty is not good.. Yes plenty of talent but we are not in a talent show. This is not a team, its a group of individuals playing in the same uniform.. With no leader or NBA caliber player on it... Do blow smoke and say head case Hamilton has shown any NBA quality yet.. Has everyone forgot what it's like to have a good team already?... We were blessed with 2 STUD point guards with a good group of role players around them but there is no stud guard to bail out this team with a FEW role players... PLUS THIS TEAM IS SO SOFT... How bout a hard foul there on that last "and one" no way that ball should have ever seen the rim... There is no nasty on this team..And no leader at all period...

Ollie has obviously sold himself out to get these transfers and is keeping his word to them regarding playing time especially Gibbs who threw a hissy and jetted from Texas then last season was a locker room nightmare when a talented freshmen guard was getting time ( at least from many accounts).. A true problem child.. I recall Gibbs saying he chose UCONN because they allow the guards to have freedom well Mr.Gibbs you are no Kemba or Bazz or Boat you do not deserve the freedom they had !!!!!!! They could take the shot clock down and if there was no options then create for themselves and make a clutch shot under pressure... Ollie and his commitment to Gibbs has screwed this team constantly...

This commitment to Gibbs is destroying Adams development and wrecking this team.. Gibbs is a alpha-wanna-be who is just a slow undersized 2 guard with no moves to the hoop and a flat jumper !!!! Ollie is screwing this team up for this year and next year buy not giving Adams the time and teaching him.. If Adams is indeed a Alpha Dog Ollie should know he is going to get messed up if he keeps holding him back especially when Adams and the world knows he is the only point guard on this team and the point of the future.. You can see it on Adams face on the bench. Ollie needs to play him..!!!

Ollie painted himself into this corner buy taking the transfer problem child and refusing to embrace the future. I pray he does not wreck Adams in the process....

Seton Hall has always sucked

Reaction Score

Why did you put periods in between him and self?

Reaction Score

I disagree. After last season, we needed a talent upgrade and Gibbs provides that. Say what you want about him but he is a proven D1 scorer who's bailed us out in some of the early games, Texas comes to mind. Should Ollie have started Jalen earlier? Probably, but he's getting plenty of PT now, he'll be fine.

Reaction Score
I have been reading the Boneyard for many years. . . . I pray he does not wreck Adams in the process....
I gave you a like so you can - temporarily - have one of the highest post to like ratios on the board.

Found a lot of what you said interesting. You may well be right about Gibbs - I certainly am not as high on him as others here. I think he's an above average shooting guard. Not much more than that. Have been saying for some time that him being at the point is not a winning formula. Regarding the promise to play him, that is interesting. Not sure what Ollie has said, but any coach who guarantees playing time is stupid. Reminds me of the story when the top recruit in the country called Geno and asked how playing time she would get. Geno's response was, "if you're good, you'll play a lot. If you suck, you won't." She signed on the next day.

I am curious as to who the two STUD point guards are. Adams and who?

Reaction Score
I gave you a like so you can - temporarily - have one of the highest post to like ratios on the board.

Found a lot of what you said interesting. You may well be right about Gibbs - I certainly am not as high on him as others here. I think he's an above average shooting guard. Not much more than that. Have been saying for some time that him being at the point is not a winning formula. Regarding the promise to play him, that is interesting. Not sure what Ollie has said, but any coach who guarantees playing time is stupid. Reminds me of the story when the top recruit in the country called Geno and asked how playing time she would get. Geno's response was, "if you're good, you'll play a lot. If you suck, you won't." She signed on the next day.

I am curious as to who the two STUD point guards are. Adams and who?
JC promised Drummond playing time. It ruined that season and the next. No player should ever be promised minutes.

Reaction Score
Why did you put periods in between him and self?

That is pretty funny.

But in all serious the OP has a point. Gibbs has been the major de facto to this team's inconsistency and sluggish play on offense. Dude just looks flat out terrible running the point, and I've been saying this all year. I'm sorry the eye test proves this and the majority of boneyarders would agree with me on this I'm sure. How many times have we seen this guy dribble the clock out, delay offensive sets with slow decision making, and not getting the guys the ball in the RIGHT position.

I'll let him have the ball in the open court at times, other then that stick him in the corner where he belongs to spread out the court for Jalen to penetrate. Not rocket science. For the most part, minus Purvis, our whole team shoots FTs well so we don't necessarily need the ball in his hands late in games. I agree there is a lingering, almost obvious KO bias here where he feels obligated to award the not-so-talented senior his playing time, and hold back his extremely talented freshman due to tenure.

If KO doesn't put this mindset to bed, and just simply play his best players in their best positions during the best minutes of the game this team won't accomplish anything remotely great this year. You're the HEAD COACH ollie, start acting like it and play your best available team! Unless Jalen is doing drugs, not passing classes, or mouthing off this guy should be getting the most minutes of anyone from here on out.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
OP's ignorance is astounding. Gibbs and Jaren Sina both left Seton Hall because Isaiah Whitehead, his HS coach, and a cartel of freshmen were ruining their locker room. It blows my mind how people go on these rants about character when they have no clue what they're talking about. My god.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll punt on debating the "why" and any pseudo-analysis of locker room and team dynamics.

Ollie did go "all in" in utilizing his upper classmen in the second half against Temple which resulted in a piss poor loss. Of that there is. no. debate.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what's worse, that the OP thinks he's providing useful insight or that several people seem to agree with him. Either way, the lunatics are running the asylum.

Incidentally, to whoever tried to use "de facto" in a sentence: swing and a miss, guy. Not even close.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'll punt on debating the "why" and any pseudo-analysis of locker room and team dynamics.

Ollie did go "all in" in utilizing his upper classmen in the second half against Temple which resulted in a piss poor loss. Of that there is. no. debate.

Agreed, but that has nothing to do with the OPs overall point though. That there was some promise or systemic issue involved. He has zero clue of this whatsoever. It was an in-game mistake against Temple, plain and simple.

And remember people, Ollie was forced into the 5th year transfer game by JC. JC, who I'll defend to the grave, pissed in his own soup there.

Reaction Score
Enough with the Ollie threads, he is our coach until HE decides to move on.

Reaction Score
Devastated by Temple loss as you all. Going to GP tonight- season ticket holder-second level seats.Hope to see a team that finally realizes what intensity level needs to be ALL THE TIME to WIN-up to coaches to make sure it happens.
Trust KO will play who will win the game (no contracts) and play everyone based on how they play intense defense. In and out- no favorites-like JC- predicated on D .
Adams must play PG and be allowed to do the job as an EXTENSION of the coach- with the SUPPORT of the HC. We don't have a PG if JA is not on the floor so he too must live up to 5 Star. Try giving Purvis SHORT STINTS at PG if necessary-when JA is not on the floor.(More leadership and game than others and willing to give himself up for the team- can create his own shot.)Pray when RP handles the ball-don't let him near the sideline. No more -PG by committee-experimenting with anybody else. Keep Ham and Gibbs off the ball. Must have an extension of the coach on the floor with responsibility and be supported by the coach.
Lets WIN tonight and get back some HOPE.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It's a team of split personalities. These are guys who lack chemistry with themselves, let alone their teammates. You never know which version of any player will suit up any given day.

Reaction Score
Gibbs is part of the problem, but without him we would have at least a couple of more losses, perhaps even more.

Ollie just needs to find a way to make sure he does not have the ball if there are less than 5 seconds left on the shot clock or play clock.

C

Chief00

JC promised Drummond playing time. It ruined that season and the next. No player should ever be promised minutes.

That's not accurate - Andre played because he was better than Alex. He's an NBA All Star - Alex is not in the league. This narrative that Andre messed up the season is such BS. The NCAA suspensions to Boat and JC and the JC health issues prevented the team from jelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom