Ollie, Guard-play and the "step back" | The Boneyard

Ollie, Guard-play and the "step back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I've been (somewhat optimistically) attributing our backcourt strength since 2011 to Ollie joining the staff. There have been hints of skills that we've added since that time that we now see in multiple guards that were not a staple of our backcourt prior to Ollie joining the staff as an assistant.

1. Body searching during penetration and at the rim.
    1. This includes driving for contact in the foul line area and the use of the "head fake" during contact to draw the call.
    2. It also includes jumping into the defender at the rim as a means of controlling momentum to finish the play. We've seen Kemba, bazz and boat all do this now.
  2. The split dribble between the screener and the hedge defender to get to the 2nd level.
    1. I don't know how to describe this better, but our guards have featured a quick dribble off a screen that pushes the ball into the open zone of the defense in the pick and roll. The ball goes through first and then the point follows it through splitting the double team. We've seen bazz do this a couple times in other scenarios where he will almost pass the ball to himself into the opening of the 2-3 zone. In the early season one of the most memorable examples of this was into a one handed skip pass to Giff I believe for an open three.
  3. The step back jumper
    1. The side by side shot of Napier's step back next to Kemba's step back and the fact that they looked almost identical is not coincidental. This to me is the output of drills that Ollie has brought into our system. Its a designed isolation play that we practice a lot. Go back and watch the Gary Mcghee ankle breaker again and this time just watch Ollie on the sideline.

2. Right before kemba pulls the string, ollie's arm gestures out back towards midcourt as if he is conducting Kemba's solo in the symphony of that play. I don't know who drew that back screen up to isolate Kemba on the predator, I still think it might have been Ollie, but I'm much more certain that we owe the development of that shot in Kemba and Bazz's bag to KO.

I'm not sure how long it will take for us as a collective fanbase to feel safe in KO's hands, but I do already. Amida is a special diamond in the rough recruit to go along with some high profile chips already to date. There's no question that Ollie can motivate. The in game X's and O's are a work in progress, but we've heard a lot this year about Ollie's ability to draw up special situation plays out of time outs (Seth Greenberg has championed a lot of that discussion). All of that with what my gut is telling me about the above ability to develop skills in our guards says we are a lucky, lucky fanbase. We've followed a hall of famer with an emerging star in coaching.

Maybe this team does something special down the stretch, maybe they get clipped too early. Either are reasonable scenarios. But I don't see how anyone can look at our two season sample size and not feel great about the future of this program. With that in pocket, its easy to kick back and enjoy the rest of this season and the last games we have with our seniors.

Happy selection Sunday folks.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
the nova game at home ollie was working with kemba on his floater in pregame. i go to my friend just watch this, ollie is teaching kemba and kembas not missing... what happens later? kemba makes the game winning floater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom