Olivia? | The Boneyard

Olivia?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Will Olivia make an amazing jump in production? Why? How many bigs have improved significantly from being a frosh to being a Soph? I know Geno loves to carp about players but he has a reoccurring theme of Olivia not being big on practice. Was her 3x3 play impressive or just so so? Was she invited to USA National Team practice because of existing skills or potential or her loyalty to USA basketball or as a favor to Geno?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The one point Geno made in talking to reporters at practice the other day is that UConn is a much better defensive team with Liv on the floor. Liv does not need to be a big scorer for UConn to be great. There are plenty of scorers on the Huskies. Liv needs to rebound, defend the paint and stay out of foul trouble. If she does that, I’ll be ecstatic. Any scoring the Huskies get from Liv is gravy.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Will Olivia make an amazing jump in production? Why? How many bigs have improved significantly from being a frosh to being a Soph? I know Geno loves to carp about players but he has a reoccurring theme of Olivia not being big on practice. Was her 3x3 play impressive or just so so? Was she invited to USA National Team practice because of existing skills or potential or her loyalty to USA basketball or as a favor to Geno?

Yes. Because of the experience she gained during the post season and over the summer. She has the physical skills to be good this year (and even better next year). She’s a year older, stronger and smarter. She’s still a work in progress. She needs to concentrate on her ball retention (offense/defense) while in the paint. I look for Liv to improve significantly as the season progresses. The more games she plays, the more successes she has, the more her confidence will grow.

This year she knows what to expect, and she knows what she’s doing. The training wheels are off. She'll make mistakes this year, but they won't be freshman mistakes. She’ll have lots of help. The other uber talented players that will be on the floor with her, will help her, and will rub off on her. They will raise the level of her play.

I look for ONO to have at least 12 double doubles this year, not counting the one she had today. I’m calling it now!! She’ll have back up help off the bench this year, so she won’t have to play extended minutes without a blow. UConn will be a better team with her on the floor. We’ll get our first real look at her against Cal a week from today.

Side note - It's interesting how some posters this summer doubted Liv would start this year. smh. Head bang

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The one point Geno made in talking to reporters at practice the other day is that UConn is a much better defensive team with Liv on the floor. Liv does not need to be a big scorer for UConn to be great. There are plenty of scorers on the Huskies. Liv needs to rebound, defend the paint and stay out of foul trouble. If she does that, I’ll be ecstatic. Any scoring the Huskies get from Liv is gravy.
With the exception of hitting down on block attempts (and fouling), Liv is intuitive on defense. Doesn't need to think. Agree we don't need 20 points a night from her but we do need layups and short shots when she gets the ball in close. Without an inside threat, other shooters will face more pressure. Hopefully her summer experience will bring this offense to the same level.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
With the exception of hitting down on block attempts (and fouling), Liv is intuitive on defense. Doesn't need to think. Agree we don't need 20 points a night from her but we do need layups and short shots when she gets the ball in close. Without an inside threat, other shooters will face more pressure. Hopefully her summer experience will bring this offense to the same level.
That is why the fifth starter needs to have some impact in the paint, through either strength or athleticism. That points to Anna, Aubrey, Evie, or possibly Batouly -- not to Molly and not to Kyla, in my opinion.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno says that Liv is our best rim protector—no surprise there—but Crystal (?) says she is demanding the ball on offense. She will also shoot from the arc.

Here’s what I’m hoping for today:

3–no more that 3 fouls.

4–at least 4 blocks against an undersized opponent.

10–10 rebounds AND 10 points.

No one on the floor for Jefferson should be able to compete.

Reaction Score
Of all the returning players, Olivia is the one I will be watching with most interest, and she is, in my opinion, the player upon whom this season’s relative success most depends. She has the skills and the physical advantages to be a true force, but we will have to see evidence that a combination of experience and good coaching is making her overall game evolve.

i respectfully disagree with those who minimize the importance of her offensive production so long as she’s playing good defense and contributes significantly as a shot blocker. She can be, and the team needs her to be, a low post consistent scorer. For that to happen, in a major departure from her Freshman level of play, she’s going to have to demonstrate that she’s learned to use her physical advantages effectively. Specifically, she must stop carrying the ball to the hoop, and shooting it, from chest level. Last year, she had more shots effectively contested, and even often blocked, than any other 6’4” female player in basketball. I hope she’s been successfully coached to employ her height to greater advantage, approaching the rim with the ball carried high, shooting from that level, and drawing more 3-point play opportunities.

We Husky fans have experience watching potentially great post players being transformed by great coaching from sweethearts into “beasts,“ Tina being the best example. ONO is a different kind of player than Tina, but I’m hoping for similar levels of improvement!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of all the returning players, Olivia is the one I will be watching with most interest, and she is, in my opinion, the player upon whom this season’s relative success most depends. She has the skills and the physical advantages to be a true force, but we will have to see evidence that a combination of experience and good coaching is making her overall game evolve.

i respectfully disagree with those who minimize the importance of her offensive production so long as she’s playing good defense and contributes significantly as a shot blocker. She can be, and the team needs her to be, a low post consistent scorer. For that to happen, in a major departure from her Freshman level of play, she’s going to have to demonstrate that she’s learned to use her physical advantages effectively. Specifically, she must stop carrying the ball to the hoop, and shooting it, from chest level. Last year, she had more shots effectively contested, and even often blocked, than any other 6’4” female player in basketball. I hope she’s been successfully coached to employ her height to greater advantage, approaching the rim with the ball carried high, shooting from that level, and drawing more 3-point play opportunities.

We Husky fans have experience watching potentially great post players being transformed by great coaching from sweethearts into “beasts,“ Tina being the best example. ONO is a different kind of player than Tina, but I’m hoping for similar levels of improvement!
Thanks for typing all this out so I won't have to. IMO, she is the key to the season for UConn. She knows what she's doing and her footwork and athleticism are excellent. When her upper body gets in synch with her mind and she doesn't have to think, her potential will be tremendous.

Reaction Score
It's fascinating how things work out. If Charli Collier had stayed with her committment to UConn, Liv might have ended up elsewhere. From what I have seen of both players, I'm very happy the way it turned out.

Reaction Score
Obviously, it was as a favor to GENO, yea you bet. Olivia has improved by leaps and bounds (a great way for a Center to improve) she is probably the most intense and dedicated, intelligent Center UCWBB has had in a while. Stewie had native skills as she arrived, ONO has had to work at it. I won't dare to compare them.

Reaction Score
Geno says that Liv is our best rim protector—no surprise there—but Crystal (?) says she is demanding the ball on offense. She will also shoot from the arc.

3–no more that 3 fouls.

Pretty much called it

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Obviously, it was as a favor to GENO, yea you bet. Olivia has improved by leaps and bounds (a great way for a Center to improve) she is probably the most intense and dedicated, intelligent Center UCWBB has had in a while. Stewie had native skills as she arrived, ONO has had to work at it. I won't dare to compare them.
But she did improve and possitively contribute. She is blossoming in the pros. Not saying she or any other player can match Stewie at least not soon.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

14/12 every night from Liv will get it done. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

3–no more that 3 fouls.

2 fouls. Check.

5 blocks. Check.

16 points. Double check.

11 Rebounds. Check.

Good way to start, Liv.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That is why the fifth starter needs to have some impact in the paint, through either strength or athleticism. That points to Anna, Aubrey, Evie, or possibly Batouly -- not to Molly and not to Kyla, in my opinion.
Why would you expect Molly to have an impact in the paint?

Reaction Score

3–no more that 3 fouls.

For ONO, Olivia, Liv, Olivia Nelson Ododa to be a great back stop she has to stop the littles (guards, wings, etc ) from scoring easily and to make them think as the try to score. The Bigs she may or may not (early on) be greatly effective against--she needs help against some bigs.
She SHALL score more often, she has a great shot, she snowed no reluctance in putting it up in exhibition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom