Olivia on the Lisa Leslie Pre-Season Watch list | The Boneyard

Olivia on the Lisa Leslie Pre-Season Watch list

Reaction Score
With Olivia on the Lisa Leslie watch list, UConn has 6 players among the 100 selected for the five position awards. South Carolina and NC State have 5, and Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi State, Stanford, and Tennessee have 4.

Queen EgboBaylor
Sara HamsonBYU
Jenna StaitiGeorgia
Mackenzie HolmesIndiana
Monika CzinanoIowa
Ayoka LeeKansas State
Hannah GustersLSU
Jessika CarterMississippi St.
Elissa CunaneNC State
Shakira AustinOle Miss
Aliyah BostonSouth Carolina
Kamilla CardosoSouth Carolina
Francesca BelibiStanford
Tamari KeyTennessee
Ila LaneUC Santa Barbara
Olivia Nelson-OdodaUCONN
Elizabeth KitleyVA Tech
Eleah ParkerVirginia
Nancy MulkeyWashington
Bella MurekateteWashington St.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head I would think that this is Boston's award to lose. Any other candidate would need to have a very spectacular season to win. IMO.
However, I am hopeful that Liv has that very spectacular season. Yup, I just posted that.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
With Olivia on the Lisa Leslie watch list, UConn has 6 players among the 100 selected for the five position awards. South Carolina and NC State have 5, and Louisville, Maryland, Mississippi State, Stanford, and Tennessee have 4.

Thread swerve: Seems curious to me that the voters for these preseason awards believe Mississippi State has 4 potential award winners yet the team is not in the Top 25 polls. I really don't care about their ranking just found it curious. Of course there's the possibility that I am not reading the polls correctly.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Gusters? The same Gusters who averaged 5 ppg and 2 rpg last year?

Confused Head Scratch GIF by State Farm

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
And do any of our MSST folks know if Carter is back with the team? Sorry if that question has been answered and is buried in another thread.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I would think Brink or Prechtel before Belibi but then have been putting Fran on these lists since before her first college game.
I think Brink was on the PF list. Like usual some of these make no sense. Belibi was only a part time starter last year and I wouldn't really expect her to be in the opening day starting lineup this season.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I think Brink was on the PF list. Like usual some of these make no sense. Belibi was only a part time starter last year and I wouldn't really expect her to be in the opening day starting lineup this season.
This. I take it to be in the running for the Lisa Leslie award all you need is to rarely take and make treys....

I honestly think these lists are going the way of the dinosaur, because the modern game, especially pro game, just expects more versatility. Our first and third best rebounders last season were 6'1" Haley Jones and 6'0" Lexie Hull. One of our best three point shooters was 6'5" Ashten Prechtel. And not infrequently our offense ran through 6'4" Cameron Brink starting from the key.

Positionless basketball is making these awards look increasingly silly.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This. I take it to be in the running for the Lisa Leslie award all you need is to rarely take and make treys....

I honestly think these lists are going the way of the dinosaur, because the modern game, especially pro game, just expects more versatility. Our first and third best rebounders last season were 6'1" Haley Jones and 6'0" Lexie Hull. One of our best three point shooters was 6'5" Ashten Prechtel. And not infrequently our offense ran through 6'4" Cameron Brink starting from the key.

Or just put Paige on all 5 watch lists. ;)

Reaction Score
Not even a UConn fan but this is disrespectful to Aaliyah Edwards who was a top-ten freshman in the country last year and became a real handful on the low block.

I know there‘s no shortage of player misplacement on these positional lists (didn’t Ashley Owusu, Maryland‘s PG, win the award for top shooting guard last year?) but ONO’s desire to play at the high post makes her more of a 4 for me while Edwards is more of a 5 and very deserving of inclusion on this list.

Reaction Score
Not even a UConn fan but this is disrespectful to Aaliyah Edwards who was a top-ten freshman in the country last year and became a real handful on the low block.

I know there‘s no shortage of player misplacement on these positional lists (didn’t Ashley Owusu, Maryland‘s PG, win the award for top shooting guard last year?) but ONO’s desire to play at the high post makes her more of a 4 for me while Edwards is more of a 5 and very deserving of inclusion on this list.
Ok well I just saw AE is indeed on another positional watch list so it’s fine lol

Reaction Score
Can she pass to herself and get both an assist and a bucket?
I can't remember which game it was, but Paige attempted to pass to Edwards, but Edwards had turned slightly and it bounced off her shoulder. Paige caught it, and proceeded to drain the shot. The announcer said Paige may have just gotten an assist and a bucket on the same play.

Reaction Score
Can she pass to herself and get both an assist and a bucket?
I can't remember which game it was, but Paige attempted to pass to Edwards, but Edwards had turned slightly and it bounced off her shoulder. Paige caught it, and proceeded to drain the shot. The announcer said Paige may have just gotten an assist and a bucket on the same play.
Here you go. Keyed up for you.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Here you go. Keyed up for you.

Yeah, I'm not gonna give her an assist on that one. She didn't really deliver the ball to herself in scoring position, she had to create too much off the bounce. Close but not quite. :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I don’t disagree with your assessment regarding positionless basketball. But the HOF and the WBCA who present these awards have a vested interest in maintaining them. The awards create significant interest throughout the season as each list is updated culminating in the actual announcement of the winners.

Yes, they are ultimately super-participation trophies with somewhat arbitrary criteria. But if we did away with all such position-focused awards, there would be about 100 fewer threads on the BY each season…… ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm not gonna give her an assist on that one. She didn't really deliver the ball to herself in scoring position, she had to create too much off the bounce. Close but not quite. :)
Oh, I agree. I just thought it was funny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom