Olivia Nelson-Ododa: Money From Midrange! | The Boneyard

Olivia Nelson-Ododa: Money From Midrange!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The best line in tonight's box score (before I have even seen it) will be Olivia's 8-for-10 shooting performance. Most of those were jump shots from 18 feet or more. This is a big deal!

The conventional BY wisdom about Liv is that she is, by UConn standards, a mediocre post player: not strong enough to bang in the paint, not a good enough shooter to play away from the basket, and foul-prone. There is (or more likely was) enough truth in some of these criticisms to make them superficially plausible. But really, she has not been physically weaker than her top level competition since her freshman year. She has been foul prone, but that seems to be less of a problem this year. But her jump shot has been a genuine problem -- until the last few games.

In all the postgame commentary on the Creighton game, no one (to my observation) noted that Liv made her only two jump shots from distance in that game. Tonight, I think she only missed one jump shot, and she was shooting them from 18 feet all the way to the 3-point line. Two games don't make a trend, but if she continues to make those shots (even if it's only at a 45 to 50 percent rate), I will look forward to seeing other teams play off her and dare her to take the midrange shot -- and then abandon that strategy when they find it is suicidal.

She has definitely improved her passing skills and her command of the offense during her time in Storrs, and now she is a really good passer from the high post -- as she showed again tonight. If she had played at this level since her sophomore year, we would be comparing her to Stef Dolson, and her stats might look similar. But better late than never.

Her defense, rebounding, and shot blocking have all been exemplary since the 2020-21 season, and that continues to be the case this year.

If she plays the rest of the year at the level that she has shown in calendar year 2022, including against good competition, then I think her WNBA draft status will improve a lot. If that actually happens, I can imagine her being drafted in the middle of the first round.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The best line in tonight's box score (before I have even seen it) will be Olivia's 8-for-10 shooting performance. Most of those were jump shots from 18 feet or more. This is a big deal!

The conventional BY wisdom about Liv is that she is, by UConn standards, a mediocre post player: not strong enough to bang in the paint, not a good enough shooter to play away from the basket, and foul-prone. There is (or more likely was) enough truth in some of these criticisms to make them superficially plausible. But really, she has not been physically weaker than her top level competition since her freshman year. She has been foul prone, but that seems to be less of a problem this year. But her jump shot has been a genuine problem -- until the last few games.

In all the postgame commentary on the Creighton game, no one (to my observation) noted that Liv made her only two jump shots from distance in that game. Tonight, I think she only missed one jump shot, and she was shooting them from 18 feet all the way to the 3-point line. Two games don't make a trend, but if she continues to make those shots (even if it's only at a 45 to 50 percent rate), I will look forward to seeing other teams play off her and dare her to take the midrange shot -- and then abandon that strategy when they find it is suicidal.

She has definitely improved her passing skills and her command of the offense during her time in Storrs, and now she is a really good passer from the high post -- as she showed again tonight. If she had played at this level since her sophomore year, we would be comparing her to Stef Dolson, and her stats might look similar. But better late than never.

Her defense, rebounding, and shot blocking have all been exemplary since the 2020-21 season, and that continues to be the case this year.

If she plays the rest of the year at the level that she has shown in calendar year 2022, including against good competition, then I think her WNBA draft status will improve a lot. If that actually happens, I can imagine her being drafted in the middle of the first round.
I watched Liv in warm-ups at the Louisville game, and she was really good from 15' to 20'. I'd like to see accurate shooting more often in games, including from the FT line. Tonight was great for her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She will need that against OR. But even now, she needs to be respected outside. Now if she could wear a sneaker 1/2 inch smaller. ;)

Reaction Score
Just a joy to watch. Plus, her height just adds a little more spark to how beautiful her shot has become.

Reaction Score
When she’s comfortable she’s automatic at distance….but if she isn’t comfortable -getting the ball at the right height, speed, and angle- she’ll freeze and then it’s feet, elbows, and who knows. So what makes her comfortable ? Like most happy shooters…getting the kind of passes UConn is still famous for : fast passes that result in good shots and as many fast passes as necessary. Ducharme is that kind of passer. Nika gets it also (lil’ Miss No-Look). And, of course, a healthy Paige is simply a force. When Liv gets connected with that passing rhythm she’s a thing of beauty at 17’.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Oregon is the test. Hostile environment. Size and strength is post. I'll be happy if she plays the position even
The Oregon game is one we can win. They’re nowhere near infallible.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Look, she's 6' 5" and the fact is that she is not effective down low. Knowing this, Geno has given that spot to the other bigs. Sooo, we see her at the high post and her slow motion decision making is never going to cut it there, against the good teams. Creighton, Butler and Xavier (that don't have even one 6' 3" player between them) are not the yardstick to measure her effectiveness against. Does anyone seriously see her getting 10+ points versus real competition. I think not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do you know if their point guard is still hurt? (Pao Pao?)
Pao Pao played this past Sunday against Cal and scored 21. Prince hasn't played since Jan. 2nd due to Covid protocols.

Reaction Score
When she’s comfortable she’s automatic at distance….but if she isn’t comfortable -getting the ball at the right height, speed, and angle- she’ll freeze and then it’s feet, elbows, and who knows. So what makes her comfortable ? Like most happy shooters…getting the kind of passes UConn is still famous for : fast passes that result in good shots and as many fast passes as necessary. Ducharme is that kind of passer. Nika gets it also (lil’ Miss No-Look). And, of course, a healthy Paige is simply a force. When Liv gets connected with that passing rhythm she’s a thing of beauty at 17’.
She had a great game no doubt. But when has Ono been a thing of beauty at 17' consistently during her 4 yrs?

Reaction Score
Pao Pao played this past Sunday against Cal and scored 21. Prince hasn't played since Jan. 2nd due to Covid protocols.
Oregon has had 10 different players led the team in scoring
11 different players have scored in double figures
6 different players have had 20 points or more a game

Reaction Score
She had a great game no doubt. But when has Ono been a thing of beauty at 17' consistently during her 4 yrs?
Not “consistently during her 4 yrs” but often enough to be a frequent option for UConn’s offense. Consistency re Olivia isn’t remotely the first word that comes to mind. My point is that her distance shooting is excellent when (the right phrasing gets tough here) she catches the right ball in rhythm, doesn’t take time to blink or think, and then releases her shot. That’s a sweet stroke that we see often enough to realize it exists. The rest of her game is open to question. And that’s been the case from day one. And not likely to change during her final months as a Husky. She is who she is…tall enough to sometimes be the perfect interior target on O and sometimes a formidable presence on D. Rebounding most balls most 6’5” players should corral but not always. Her passing, when not tangled in a whither of arms and elbows , is ok. All of this stuff has been on display for nearly 4 years and, for better or worse, it’s what we have at center…no one else on the roster can play the position better at present. And Liv plays it best when the collective play of the others means she simply can react…not when she blinks, thinks, and suddenly who knows what may ensue. A healthy Bueckers orchestrating first rate ball movement is what we hope for (duh) and that means much better play for Olivia (duh) …occasionally a thing of beauty.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Everyone wants ONO to play well, but you can't use one game against a cream puff as a yardstick to measure her performance.

In the 3 UConn losses she averaged 7.6 points and 6.6 rebounds. She had 9 assists and 9 turnovers.
In the 3 wins against lesser teams (Massey rating over 50) she averaged 10.6 points and 6.0 rebounds with 14 assists and 4 turnovers. In the Butler game (Massey rating 293) she scored 19 points and had 7 rebounds. I think that it would be fair to say that so far this season she has done well against poor competition and not so good against quality teams.

Auriemma now has other options under the basket with Juhasz, Ducharme and Edwards. My opinion is that he is having her play the high post because that is where she is less likely to get in foul trouble not because that is where she is most effective.

Reaction Score
it would serve both her and UConn well if she could work on her midrange game too........

sun

Reaction Score
Below are all of Liv's junior season highlights from last year.
I didn't count all of the jumpers that she made but there were quite a few.
Some games she made more than others.
Her teammates know how well that she can shoot.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom