Olivia and Aubrey Important in Home Stretch | The Boneyard

Olivia and Aubrey Important in Home Stretch

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Olivia:

“What I’ve been seeing since two Mondays ago is someone who’s coming to grips with, ‘This is who I am; this is how I need to be; this is what I can do,’” Auriemma said. "And [she’s] more and more confident every day, and a little tougher every day, and finished in traffic today a little better than she has.”

Aubrey:

“She’s become a constant source of bewilderment for me,” Auriemma said Sunday. “I’ll go work out with her in practice and she’ll do all these amazing things. And then when we start playing, she won’t do any of them. So I asked her, ‘Why are we doing this? Why are we doing this if you’re not going to do it in the game?’”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I repeat myself, but I think we're seeing the Jamelle-effect with Olivia's play the last few games. I hope that, somehow, Jamelle does not go away. If, for no other reason, just to see that scowl on her face on the bench. I would love to see the players adopt that scowl.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I repeat myself, but I think we're seeing the Jamelle-effect with Olivia's play the last few games. I hope that, somehow, Jamelle does not go away. If, for no other reason, just to see that scowl on her face on the bench. I would love to see the players adopt that scowl.

I was going to write a short narrative on that thought as well. I think you're right. Elliott's return to the UConn staff has been a very positive one for all concerned. She's filling in right now for Lister for the remainder of the season on an "interim" basis. It's not known if she would accept a re-assignment to the staff full time, or if she prefers to resume her duties as Associate Athletic Director for The National C Club.

Elliott also serves as primary sport administrator for field hockey, women’s ice hockey, lacrosse, secondary sport administrator for softball, oversees the Office of Student-Athlete Development and is the Chair of the department’s Diversity and Inclusion committee. She's wearing a lot of hats right now. Of course it's not known if she wants to return to coaching, or if that ship has sailed, at least for the time being.

I'd bet she's been in ONO's ear since her first day back on staff. ONO still has some "rough edges" that Elliott can definitely smooth out. It's a good bet Geno would prefer to keep her, and remove the interim label. It would be almost impossible to find someone else with her resume. A former UConn player and a former UConn staff coach for 12 years, and 9 years of head coaching experience at Cincinnati 2009-2018. Few potential replacement candidates can match that. Her loyalty to Geno and the program are unquestioned. It's a good bet that question was asked when Geno approached her about filling in for Lister.

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I was going to write a short narrative on that thought as well. I think you're right. Elliott's return to the UConn staff has been a very positive one for all concerned. She's filling in right now for Lister for the remainder of the season on an "interim" basis. It's not known if she would accept a re-assignment to the staff full time, or if she prefers to resume her duties as Associate Athletic Director for The National C Club.

Elliott also serves as primary sport administrator for field hockey, women’s ice hockey, lacrosse, secondary sport administrator for softball, oversees the Office of Student-Athlete Development and is the Chair of the department’s Diversity and Inclusion committee. She's wearing a lot of hats right now.

I'd bet she's been in ONO's ear since her first day back on staff. ONO still has some "rough edges" that Elliott can definitely smooth out. It's a good bet Geno would prefer to keep her, and remove the interim label. It would be almost impossible to find someone else with her resume. A former UConn player and a former UConn staff coach for 12 years, and 9 years of head coaching experience at Cincinnati 2009-2018. She brings with her experience few other replacement candidates could. Her loyalty to Geno and the program are unquestioned. No doubt the thought as crossed Geno's mind. I wonder if he's made that pitch to her yet? :rolleyes:
I am going to go in a different direction here. If Jasmine does not return, I would like that spot go a young, up--and-comer. I am not sure Jamelle would want to go through the recruiting grind and get caught up in the social media circus. CD is seemingly an effective "bigs" coach. Fill that open spot with a tireless recruiter.

Reaction Score

Elliott also serves as primary sport administrator for field hockey, women’s ice hockey, lacrosse, secondary sport administrator for softball, oversees the Office of Student-Athlete Development and is the Chair of the department’s Diversity and Inclusion committee. She's wearing a lot of hats right now.

I'd bet she's been in ONO's ear since her first day back on staff. ONO still has some "rough edges" that Elliott can definitely smooth out. It's a good bet Geno would prefer to keep her, and remove the interim label. It would be almost impossible to find someone else with her resume. A former UConn player and a former UConn staff coach for 12 years, and 9 years of head coaching experience at Cincinnati 2009-2018. She brings with her experience few other replacement candidates could. Her loyalty to Geno and the program are unquestioned. No doubt the thought as crossed Geno's mind. I wonder if he's made that pitch to her yet? :rolleyes:

I wonder if she wants to go back and find another head coaching job?.................if not then UConn would certainly benefit from her experience and her abilities as a player and coach.................

Reaction Score
I am going to go in a different direction here. If Jasmine does not return, I would like that spot go a young, up--and-comer. I am not sure Jamelle would want to go through the recruiting grind and get caught up in the social media circus. CD is seemingly an effective "bigs" coach. Fill that open spot with a tireless recruiter.
thing is, it could be that Jamelle is a more effective"bigs"coach, if we dare infer anything from Olivia's recent games. it will be interesting to see if she continues to improve.

Reaction Score
Jamelle is strong willed, intense, experienced and not reticent about speaking her mind in the huddles and if she is even only partly responsible for ONO's resurgence she has done a great service to the team already.

Reaction Score
thing is, it could be that Jamelle is a more effective"bigs"coach, if we dare infer anything from Olivia's recent games. it will be interesting to see if she continues to improve.
On Jan 31 it was announced that Jamelle would fill in for Jaz. Yesterday Geno said that Liv's practice habits improved remarkably all-of-a-sudden on the Tuesday or Wednesday after the Oregon game, which would be Feb 4 or 5. Coincidence?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Love Jamelle and was very glad she was available when Jasmine took a leave of absence. However, to credit Jamelle for Liv's recent improvement is a stretch. The sample size ( a few games) is too small and we have seen greater improvement form Liv before. A few short months ago Liv was the only college player on the National team in Puerto Rico and actually looked like she belong- that was without Jamelle. Liv next evolution is to sustain consistently good performances so that her teammates know they can count on her. If Geno and CD are not able to bring that out of Liv I doubt Jamelle can either. Let's a least give this a few more games.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno said after the OU game. Liv had a completely different demeanor and a much better attitude during practice and it carries into the games.

Liv will never be a space eater carving out space but she can be very effective inside but the offense movement to get her the ball in good places is critical and part of what the coaching staff needs to concentrate on

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom