Oline Woes | The Boneyard

Oline Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No apparent improvement from last year. I would say they have even regressed. The hell with pulling guards and counters, let's just try straight ahead "hat-on-a-hat" blocking and have the backs hit the line as fast as possible. These delayed handoffs 5 yards deep are resulting in too many very ugly negative yardage plays.

Reaction Score
In their defense, there have been 3 different guys at LG. But I very much agree with straight ahead blocking. They need to take advantage of their size.

Reaction Score
In their defense, there have been 3 different guys at LG. But I very much agree with straight ahead blocking. They need to take advantage of their size.

Hopkins limping on the sideline w/the crutch didn't look close to returning either :(

Reaction Score
No apparent improvement from last year. I would say they have even regressed. The hell with pulling guards and counters, let's just try straight ahead "hat-on-a-hat" blocking and have the backs hit the line as fast as possible. These delayed handoffs 5 yards deep are resulting in too many very ugly negative yardage plays.
I cannot stand how long it takes us to hand the ball off. The holes are closed before the backs can hit it.

Reaction Score

We have played 4 different LGs: Hopkins, Vachery, Schafenacker and Rutherford.

Reaction Score
Close down the gaps, hat on hat, Rbs hit the designed holes. Enough read run horse Shiite. Of course, on short yardage these guys haven't moved anybody. They are tall and lose leverage quickly. So, it's very possible even man on man blocking doesn't get it done.

Reaction Score
Close down the gaps, hat on hat, Rbs hit the designed holes. Enough read run horse Shiite. Of course, on short yardage these guys haven't moved anybody. They are tall and lose leverage quickly. So, it's very possible even man on man blocking doesn't get it done.

True but I still think its worth a try. Certainly better than watching Newsome get crushed for -4 just as he gets the ball.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score

shortening down the O-line splits will most likely exacerbate the problem, keeping the splits as they are allows a little more room for the backs even if the O-line cant manhandle their blocking assignment. Also the counter plays are good when used correctly in the fold of the offense but when they are used incorrectly such as short yardage plays where you cannot get caught in the backfield ala navy then they leave you vulnerable to backside pressure from the gap created by the pulling guard/tackle. just like everything else if this offense was utilized properly and to its full potential it could be very difficult to stop.

Reaction Score
I cannot stand how long it takes us to hand the ball off. The holes are closed before the backs can hit it.
like failed draw plays doesnt it?

Reaction Score
shortening down the O-line splits will most likely exacerbate the problem, keeping the splits as they are allows a little more room for the backs even if the O-line cant manhandle their blocking assignment. Also the counter plays are good when used correctly in the fold of the offense but when they are used incorrectly such as short yardage plays where you cannot get caught in the backfield ala navy then they leave you vulnerable to backside pressure from the gap created by the pulling guard/tackle. just like everything else if this offense was utilized properly and to its full potential it could be very difficult to stop.
Yes, you are right. My point was we should be able to get 4 yards a carry just moving out the LOS with the size we have at least against the majority of opponents. We obviously have tremendous size but slow feet. The counter is great against faster teams leaning on primary reads and having over pursuit tendencies but it also means lineman need to hold and seal or kick-out their opponents on the counter flow....not an evident strength from what I see. Requires good feet and body control movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom