OLine Was Abused | The Boneyard

OLine Was Abused

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First time this year they were completely outmatched.

Oak was, to put it mildly, really bad. His snaps were all over the place causing several plays to get blown up due to the timing being off. Plus he got beat badly on several plays and was generally pushed around.

My brain may be off but I thought Vechery had some time at center on previous Crozier injuries. I'd take a look at him.

Also, Rutherford seems to have regressed. In the past schemes he'd get confused on assignments just like every other lineman did, but usually when he put a hat on someone he looked good. Also seemed to get off his block in to the second level in years past. This year he seems slow and weak.

If Oak is the center the remainder of the year, this may be a one win team. Strip away all the game planning in the world. If a defense can apply pressure straight up the middle on every play, an offense is screwed.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Oak is the weak link and has a lot of trouble snapping the ball constantly

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This was the OL's best game by a sizeable margin. They fell off at the end. The snaps have been iffy since game 1.

Reaction Score
On the other hand our right side DeGeorge and Van Denmark are growing better by the day. Peart is solid on the left. Vechery at center and ? At LG and we can continue to improve. We'll win several games >3 for sure before year is out. This team is improving.

Reaction Score
On the other hand our right side DeGeorge and Van Denmark are growing better by the day. Peart is solid on the left. Vechery at center and ? At LG and we can continue to improve. We'll win several games >3 for sure before year is out. This team is improving.
Not sure how many teams improve by giving up more points on defense each game (20, 38, 41, 49).

Reaction Score
First time this year they were completely outmatched.

Oak was, to put it mildly, really bad. His snaps were all over the place causing several plays to get blown up due to the timing being off. Plus he got beat badly on several plays and was generally pushed around.

My brain may be off but I thought Vechery had some time at center on previous Crozier injuries. I'd take a look at him.

Also, Rutherford seems to have regressed. In the past schemes he'd get confused on assignments just like every other lineman did, but usually when he put a hat on someone he looked good. Also seemed to get off his block in to the second level in years past. This year he seems slow and weak.

If Oak is the center the remainder of the year, this may be a one win team. Strip away all the game planning in the world. If a defense can apply pressure straight up the middle on every play, an offense is screwed.
Rutherford is and has been a mess. He is a weak link in a weak chain. Overall, the OL looks very improved on pass blocking. The run block needs work. Still no push or sustained blocks.

Reaction Score
Not sure how many teams improve by giving up more points on defense each game (20, 38, 41, 49).

This game was lost on special teams. Blocked punt, horrible penalty after the defense gets a stop, fumbled kickoff. All three led to short field touchdowns.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This was the OL's best game by a sizeable margin. They fell off at the end. The snaps have been iffy since game 1.

You may want to lay off the Nyquil.

Best game by Far?

8 sacks.
Negative yards rushing for the game.
Multiple bad snaps.
Most holds in a game so far.
And they were punked in the fourth quarter when it was winning time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have three questions. You're the head coach,
1. The dust has settled, and you now know exactly what kind of team you have. Where do you go from here?

2. What are your reachable goals going forward for the team the rest of the season?

What you're doing to this point is not working.

3. Do you continue with the game plan and philosophy you had going into week 1, or do you scrap those plans, and go back to square 1, a try to find something else that works?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The offense is looking better for the most part, but this defense can't stop anything,, and it's creating nothing in turnovers.

Reaction Score
I have three questions. You're the head coach,
1. The dust has settled, and you now know exactly what kind of team you have. Where do you go from here?

2. What are your reachable goals going forward for the team the rest of the season?

What you're doing to this point is not working.

3. Do you continue with the game plan and philosophy you had going into week 1, or do you scrap those plans, and go back to square 1, a try to find something else that works?

I can tell you what will happen, because we have seen Edsall before. He is not Diaco. He is trying to win the games. I guaranty you he and the coaches will be discussing what could be changed to maximize wins this year.

I can also tell you what he won't do. He won't try things that he doesn't think have a reasonable chance of making us better just for the sake of being able to show fans that he is trying something different. As long as he believes in what his coaches are doing, he will stick to it even if it doesn't show results this year.

If you want someone to go into a panic and just start showing players he has no belief in his philosophy because it will make fans happy, we hired the wrong guy for you and you should stop watching now.

Reaction Score
Just a really good thread about the OL. Van Demark has been a pleasant surprise but we really needed a Juco transfer a real stud to fill one of the other holes on the line. And the injury to Crozier made things worse. So this is where we're at I wouldn't be surprised to see some other guys getting looks but I'm really not sure what we have left aside from Leone.

Interrupting a fantastic steak dinner in Dallas to get this reply in!!! OL always gets my attention.

Reaction Score
But I will tell you is Randy is taking an active role in coaching guys. He's trying not to step on his coordinators but you can see that he's talking to players during the game and doing his best to be helpful but not in the way.

20170930_150803.jpg

Reaction Score
How can you make this claim? They couldn't move the ball on the ground at all!

Reaction Score
I thought the OL played okay, certainly not worse than Holy Cross.

Sacks will always be a problem with Sherriff. He locks on to his primary and waits until he gets ope (or not). Not all of them are his fault, but many are.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
The thing with BS is knowing when to chuck it out of bounds. He is shifty enough to avoid rushers but never throws it away when they finally catch up to him.
If I had a dollar for every time I yelled "Throw it away" and nearly woke the baby I would have at least ten or fifteen bucks. Come to think of it, that's not much.
Never mind.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Wonder why not go with Hopkins at LG over Rutherford. Vechery was ok at center - better than what OAK showed on Saturday. Leone is another option if we want to rotate over there. But Center is the biggest problem right now on O.

What else does Shireffs have to do to stop the complaining? A college QB goes 22-28 406 yards no interceptions 2 TD passes and is getting criticized for trying to make a play by holding the ball too long? Really? He has taken tremendous hits and Saturday the O Line did not help him at all. It melted like butter in the 4th qtr.

Reaction Score
I thought the OL played okay, certainly not worse than Holy Cross.

Sacks will always be a problem with Sherriff. He locks on to his primary and waits until he gets ope (or not). Not all of them are his fault, but many are.
Did you just pull this out of last year’s file? He completed passes to something like 8 different receivers at SMU, 7 in the Virginia game. 8or 9 inthe East Carolina game and I think 5 In limited time vs Holy Cross. He is completing 68% of his passes. None of that gives any indication of a guy who locks on to his first receiver. In the ECU game it was clear that he hit Newsome several times when he was not the primary guy.

Reaction Score
How can you make this claim? They couldn't move the ball on the ground at all!

The wide runs to the RB have been bad, seems like the D sees them coming and blows them up. Had some success with jet to Dixon. Need Bryant and the RB read to get productivity. Not sure we are truly doing the read part on some plays. Maybe to save the QB?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom