OT: Ole Miss distributes academic bonuses to all eligible athletes | The Boneyard

OT: Ole Miss distributes academic bonuses to all eligible athletes

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If this is how they spend their athletic department profit, I’m fine with it. It breaks down to $500/month these kids can use for food, essentials, and gas.

Reaction Score
Good for them. Encourages them to be academically strong while getting some extra cash for playing.

Reaction Score
Good for them. Encourages them to be academically strong while getting some extra cash for playing.
Of course, being academically strong at Ole Miss doesn't have the same import as it has at most other institutions.

Reaction Score
And by academically strong you mean “eligible.”
If they can keep a 3.0 and play football at that level then yes that's pretty strong. Sure they get tutors, but if I had tutors available for me at all times, I would have utilized them too. Let them have their money. Theyve earned.

Reaction Score
If they can keep a 3.0 and play football at that level then yes that's pretty strong. Sure they get tutors, but if I had tutors available for me at all times, I would have utilized them too. Let them have their money. Theyve earned.
Yeah but the NCAA's requirements for eligibility are much lower than that:
Student-athletes must achieve 90 percent of the institution’s minimum overall grade-point average necessary to graduate (for example, 1.8) by the beginning of year two, 95 percent of the minimum GPA (1.9) by year three and 100 percent (2.0) by year four.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You see this and I just shake my head at how schools are still making the jump up to FBS. For what reason? They can't compete with this kind of money. We can't compete with this kind of money. I look at the schools upgrading into CUSA and just wonder how they plan on cutting it.

Reaction Score

IMO this encourages cheating like UNC. I don’t like it but I get it.

Most of these kids are not playing professional sports when their college career is over. I’d rather see the schools setup a trust for these kids to receive a few bucks upon graduation or healthcare coverage for life or both.

Reaction Score
You see this and I just shake my head at how schools are still making the jump up to FBS. For what reason? They can't compete with this kind of money. We can't compete with this kind of money. I look at the schools upgrading into CUSA and just wonder how they plan on cutting it.
I don't think they are really intending to compete with Ole Miss (at least not unless the opportunity presents itself), but to take advantage of the greater revenue opportunities. As bad as C-USA TV money is, between that and the share of the CFB Playoff money that C-USA distributes, coupled with higher payouts for being a FBS team playing money games, not to mention the greater advertising profile should one of your games get picked up for Linear television (and the comparatively better opportunity to get those opportunities) all drive the motivation to upgrade.

Reaction Score
But they have not gotten rid of the student sports fee! Regular students still subsidize it.

I mean, get rid of that fee and cut the coaches pay already. Cheese and crackers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom