Old Weitzel piece about demise of Big12 and BE comes true | The Boneyard

Old Weitzel piece about demise of Big12 and BE comes true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
In reading this, it occurred to me that the NCA could take the bull by the horns and announce an 8 or 16 team playoff system. Allow only one team from a conference and have a selection committee select the balance. However, is appears it would require a vote by the existing conferences.

If they go with 8 teams now they can take the 4/5/6 AQ's and leverage indies and non BCS schools (still only one from any conference). Funny but if they ever went to 16 (with the caveat of only one team per conference) you would see the conferences go smaller very quickly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In reading this, it occurred to me that the NCA could take the bull by the horns and announce an 8 or 16 team playoff system. Allow only one team from a conference and have a selection committee select the balance. However, is appears it would require a vote by the existing conferences.

If they go with 8 teams now they can take the 4/5/6 AQ's and leverage indies and non BCS schools (still only one from any conference). Funny but if they ever went to 16 (with the caveat of only one team per conference) you would see the conferences go smaller very quickly.

Yeah, they should announce that. It would be quite humorous that an organization which has no say in how the sport is administered decided that they were making up rules.

Reaction Score
Wow! Great find, Gars! Reading this makes you see how things could have been. I knew that UConn lost a lot of money in that BCS bowl game, but not that much.

Reaction Score

Nice thought, but the NCAA does not have any power anymore over football. The only type of power they have is over the fairness rules, which the presidents of universities still want. They may not want it forever, but for now, that's what they say they want. Fairness to the student athletes.

Reaction Score
Wonder if a somesort of alignment with the B12. Here are possible pods:

East:
UConn
RU
WVU
USF

North:
UL
UC
Mizzou
ISU

West:
KU
KSU
Baylor
TCU

South:
UT
TT
OU
OSU

Reaction Score
Guess you could aslo do KU, KSU, OU, OSU in one pod and UT, TT, Baylor, TCU in another. but I think UT and OU want to make sure they play every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom