Old Uconn memory | The Boneyard

Old Uconn memory

Reaction Score
Did I imagine this? The old big east ACC challenge UConn Versus Georgia tech Chris Smith era and Kenny Anderson for Georgia tech I swear I watch this game in Hartford and Smith had high 20s and Anderson got in the 30s and these guys traded three point shots makes five times in a row but I can’t find this game on the Internet so those of you with a better memory do you recall this?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
First time UConn played Georgia Tech was in 2003.

Only Big East/ACC challenge games in Hartford when Chris Smith was here was Maryland in 1989 (Smith had 22 points) and Wake Forest in 1991 (Smith had 24 points).
@Martin Back toward your question of me yesterday, you can start being grateful for @tcf15's substantive contributions anytime. I am.

Reaction Score

Only Big East/ACC challenge games in Hartford when Chris Smith was here was Maryland in 1989 (Smith had 22 points) and Wake Forest in 1991 (Smith had 24 points).

The Wake game was the one where Rodney Rogers was going to shoot an outside jumper and saw Scotty Burrell running out of control to shut it down. Rogers pulled the ball down and started a dribble with his body between Burrell and the ball. Burrell jumped, literally leapfrogged Rogers and came down on Roberts' arm between Rogers and the ball. When no whistle blew (God knows if that's a foul if you contact a dribblers arm with your crotch because it is physically impossible so there doesn't have to be a rule on it), Burrell just took off with the ball and Tomahawked at the other end. If you didn't see it it's hard to even imagine it.

If you didn't see him you do not understand how athletic Scott Burrell was pre-injuries.

Reaction Score
The Wake game was the one where Rodney Rogers was going to shoot an outside jumper and saw Scotty Burrell running out of control to shut it down. Rogers pulled the ball down and started a dribble with his body between Burrell and the ball. Burrell jumped, literally leapfrogged Rogers and came down on Roberts' arm between Rogers and the ball. When no whistle blew (God knows if that's a foul if you contact a dribblers arm with your crotch because it is physically impossible so there doesn't have to be a rule on it), Burrell just took off with the ball and Tomahawked at the other end. If you didn't see it it's hard to even imagine it.

If you didn't see him you do not understand how athletic Scott Burrell was pre-injuries.
That was awesome- Burrell was so athletic. I remember rewatching that over and over with amazement.

Reaction Score

I was just talking about that game the other day. It was the year of the dream team, part of the UCONN Classic and the first time that year that the potential of that team became apparent.

Reaction Score
That was awesome- Burrell was so athletic. I remember rewatching that over and over with amazement.

The other amazing Burrell athletic moment was his block of Shaquille O'Neil in the first round of the NCAAs in '91 when we were a 12 or 13 seed easily handling an LSU team that had not only Shaq but the great small shooting guard, Chris (I think) Jackson who changed names in the NBA. Burrell was guarding someone in the corner. Shaq sealed off Rod Sellers high in the post, caught a lob with Sellers on his hip mid-post and went up to dunk. Burrell came flying in from the corner, while still racing horizontally leaped vertically and knocked Shaq's dunk attempt about 40 feet into the crowd. His vertical momentum carried him well past the lane into the opposite corner. When Shaq landed, he looked around to try to figure out what happened and initially couldn't locate anyone who was there to block his shot. It took him a few seconds to figure it out.

Reaction Score
The other amazing Burrell athletic moment was his block of Shaquille O'Neil in the first round of the NCAAs in '91 when we were a 12 or 13 seed easily handling an LSU team that had not only Shaq but the great small shooting guard, Chris (I think) Jackson who changed names in the NBA. Burrell was guarding someone in the corner. Shaq sealed off Rod Sellers high in the post, caught a lob with Sellers on his hip mid-post and went up to dunk. Burrell came flying in from the corner, while still racing horizontally leaped vertically and knocked Shaq's dunk attempt about 40 feet into the crowd. His vertical momentum carried him well past the lane into the opposite corner. When Shaq landed, he looked around to try to figure out what happened and initially couldn't locate anyone who was there to block his shot. It took him a few seconds to figure it out.
Burrell was fun to watch!

Reaction Score
I was just talking about that game the other day. It was the year of the dream team, part of the UCONN Classic and the first time that year that the potential of that team became apparent.

What many forget about the Dream Team is the start of the season -- pre January -- did not show evidence that we had moved forward into a national contender. I remember a loss to some mediocre Texas team in Alaska, being destroyed by St. Johns in Queens and a loss to a very mediocre 'Nova team (I want to say Tom Gries was a huge, mediocre Center who killed us that night) at home. It was only in January that everything clicked and our transformation to a national program begun. Man, those were fun days.

Reaction Score
What many forget about the Dream Team is the start of the season -- pre January -- did not show evidence that we had moved forward into a national contender. I remember a loss to some mediocre Texas team in Alaska, being destroyed by St. Johns in Queens and a loss to a very mediocre 'Nova team (I want to say Tom Gries was a huge, mediocre Center who killed us that night) at home. It was only in January that everything clicked and our transformation to a national program begun. Man, those were fun days.
Yeah - the St. John's and Nova losses were demoralizing for the fans. But when we beat Georgetown and Syracuse back to back in the Civic Center you knew something special was happening before our eyes.

Reaction Score
In a game against Georgetown, although I'm not sure of the sequence, Burrell block a shot from Motumbo and within a couple of minutes dunked over him. JC once called him the best athlete he ever coached.

Reaction Score
The Wake game was in December of 1991. Two seasons after The Dream Season

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Did I imagine this? The old big east ACC challenge UConn Versus Georgia tech Chris Smith era and Kenny Anderson for Georgia tech I swear I watch this game in Hartford and Smith had high 20s and Anderson got in the 30s and these guys traded three point shots makes five times in a row but I can’t find this game on the Internet so those of you with a better memory do you recall this?
Kenny Anderson (first college game I believe) was indeed in the Civic Center in the BE-ACC Challenge. But it came in the opening game against Pitt. Dennis Scott made everything in sight that game. I remember well because I pretty much insisted to our group that we go to the first game to see Anderson. As soon as we walked in we noticed that they were not selling beer. I was on merde list after that for longer than I thought fair.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw UConn play NC State in what I'm pretty sure was the ACC BE Challenge. Must have been early 1990s in NC State's old building.

Reaction Score

It was A&M in the Great Alaska, I remember that game well. They had some guard named Lynn Suber who hit jumper after jumper. I was a casual fan at the time and figured 'oh well, same old UConn'.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As a side note, we scoped out the Tech seats for UConn-MD and sat there after they all left. I was sitting next to a Terps fan that just went on and on about Jerrod Mustaf, "the best player in the ACC." I was gonna be in for a treat! I was, UConn blew 'em out of the gym.

Reaction Score
the great small shooting guard, Chris (I think) Jackson who changed names in the NBA.

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. He was a great player and had unbelievable range that could get his shot off from anywhere on the court. I think he was All American his first two years.

Reaction Score

Chris Jackson wasn't on that team. LSU had Shaq but nothing else and we just packed in a zone and doubled and triple teamed him all night. Ran them right out of the gym.

The year before that LSU team had Jackson and three seven footers who would all become first round picks (Shaq, Stanley Roberts, and Geert Hammink). I always loved those LSU teams, but man, Dale Brown was an awful coach.

Reaction Score
I was at the ACC-Big East Challenge in 89’ too. I always remember it being Brian Oliver that had a big game for Tech. Could be wrong.

I was like 16 at the time and a friend and I got into town early and hung around all day. Had lunch at Brown Thompson’s and then generally loitered. We went into the Sheraton lobby and the whole MD team was there. We started talking to a player named Jesse Martin. He just kept saying,”We gonna kick some a.., we gonna kick some butt”. Seemed rather dopey. He was ineligible the next year but at least he was nice to a couple punks.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I always loved those LSU teams, but man, Dale Brown was an awful coach.
He was the Gary William of his day. Recruited over his head ($?) but had trouble getting guys on the same page, and was awful with Xs and Os. Trying to remember a quote. Something like "Great players don't need a gameplan" Or maybe it was "Seven footers don't..."

Reaction Score
We've won 4 national titles since then but the Dream Season was still the best. Nothing beats your first and watching that team do what it did was just magic and how they captured the imagination of the entire state. It was how I got introduced to cbb. I was in jr. high and my friends were going on and on about Uconn and I believe they were about to play Syracuse and Gtown back to back so I decided to watch. Been a fan ever since.

Reaction Score
The other amazing Burrell athletic moment was his block of Shaquille O'Neil in the first round of the NCAAs in '91 when we were a 12 or 13 seed easily handling an LSU team
UConn was an 11 seed that year and got to face 14th seeded....guess who....Xavier.

In the sweet 16 they lost to 2 seeded Duke by 14.

That was an odd year in the first two rounds, you had a 10/15 and 12/13 match up in the east regional, the 10 losing by 3 in the elite 8, an 11/14 in the midwest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom