Old School UConn WBB | The Boneyard

Old School UConn WBB

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sometimes it can take just a few games for a team’s personality to emerge. Sometimes it can take the better part of a season. This year’s team has been an enigma. The long stretches when UConn plays “beautiful basketball” seemingly scoring with ease and putting the game out of reach early, have been rare this season. More often, UConn grinds it out winning close games against teams like Memphis, UCF and again yesterday vs TN.

As I thought more about the game last night it occurred to me that the Husky team we watched grind it out against a long, athletic LV team last night is in fact the personality of this team. Last night, more than any other game in recent memory, this team played Old School UConn WBB, reminiscent of days gone by, when UConn won games not because of precision motion offense and great shooting, but simply because they were tougher than everyone else. Think back to the 2010 National Championship game when UConn couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean in the 1st half, falling behind Stanford by double-digits. In the second half the Huskies clawed their way back to win maybe the ugliest championship game in the history of WBB by a score of 53-47.

Frequently this season, UConn has played soft against inferior opponents. Only Crystal has consistently shown the toughness that typically characterizes UConn WBB. What I witnessed last night was a UConn team coming together to play tough, physical basketball against a talented TN team. Inspired by our two amazing freshmen, UConn scratched and clawed for every loose ball or rebound. Finally getting the message that she needed to play harder, Liv gave us the best 12-minute stretch of her career to date. She mixed it up with TN’s Bigs, fouling out Key. Liv aggressively went after every rebound and even dove on the floor after loose balls. While Christyn and Megan didn’t shoot the ball particularly well, they rebounded and defended like their lives depended on it.

This is who we are this season. It may not always be pretty, but the fact is that if this UConn team continues to dig down and play tough defense and scrap for every rebound and loose ball, they can beat any team in the country. Other than a 4-minute stretch vs Baylor, UConn has prevailed against everyone they have played this season. A lot of folks think the Huskies won’t be able to overcome the size and talent of OR & SC in the next few weeks. Kelly Graves and Dawn Staley know better. Those games will be wars. If the UConn team we saw last night shows up, the Huskies absolutely have the ability to knock off the Ducks and the Gamecocks.

In my mind, I’ve been going back and forth this season trying to answer the question of whether or not UConn could possibly get back to their 13th straight FF and somehow win their 12th National Championship. While it will certainly be an enormous task, last night I clearly saw a path for the Huskies to prevail. The games may be tough, grind-it-out basketball. But in the end, if UConn puts together another ugly 53-47 championship, it will be a thing of beauty.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was really impressed with one particular aspect of Liv’s game last night. For the most part, Liv displays a placid expression when she’s playing, good or bad. Last night when she came back in the game after spending a long period of time on the bench, as she was playing with a new found ferocity, particularly at the end of the game when the LV’s got a little chippy, Liv gave as good as she got, and there was an expression on her face that I had not seen before.

Liv was MAD! She had something to prove to her coach, her teammates, the fans and, most importantly, to herself. It reminded me of the scene in Rocky II when Clubber Lang starts landing one haymaker after another. Rocky’s manager, Apollo Creed yells, “He’s getting killed.” To which Rocky’s brother-in-law Paulie responds. “He’s not getting killed. He’s getting MAD!”

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the OP means by "old school." Does he mean prior to Lobo's senior year? Because during that season and after - nearly every year UConn has had a tremendous offense. A few years sprinkled in not-so-hot. Or does "old school" mean overall wcbb back in the 80's and early 90's low basketball scores? I just think since Lobo championship year, UCONN hasn't played "old school 80's early 90's basketball," if that is the meaning. Nor should they strive for it other than maybe 1 anomaly year here or there.

Secondly, I think much of the criticism this year has been "over-the-top." This team has always been a legit final four contender. Unless you think CWill is going to continue to shoot this poorly -- UCONN has 3 all-American caliber players. There is no way no way that they aren't a final four threat when you have 3 a/a caliber players (of which 2 are projected to be 1st rd picks- if Walker decided to leave), a great coach and few other pretty good players. This stuff about that they "don't play hard/ don't try" is just nonsense.

***I think this was a terrific win. UCONN beat a pretty good team differently than just "shooting the ball well." Tough-to-beat teams like this UCONN team is-- shows a certain "mettle" that should be appreciated rather than "trashed" stating they aren't "playing hard." The team has weaknesses- sure. Criticize not enough length/power/ and experience in the low post etc. - sure. Criticize some moves - sure. Just that deriving conclusions from some of this that "Geno has lost it" or "they are not a good team because they don't try" etc. is off-the-wall.

They are a good basketball team. Enjoy them. Also realize they are 20 year-old kids and sometimes to the fans untrained eye he or she thinks "they aren't trying" which is absurd. It’s just some's expectation is perfection. That's a coach's job. And with that- sure Geno makes some mistakes. But that doesn't mean "he has lost it." Or even close to it. Some are obsessed with "change." Sure change can be good. But “change" for a bad idea is certainly a path leading toward no championships, no more final 4's and no more conference titles.

Reaction Score
Old Dude and Hoophuskee: your posts are exemplary, filled with wonderful detail, logical thoughts and a wonderful rhythm that carries through from beginning to end. However, I am 77. I cannot pay attention to anything that long anymore and I have to reread every statement in order to possess and understand your wonderful commentary. Or my Veryoldmind, will not be able to absorb your extra intelligent thoughts for this Veryolddog. So, I would appreciate it if you would keep commentary simple, to the point, and 1000 words or less. (LOL) Thank you!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Old Dude and Hoophuskee: your posts are exemplary, filled with wonderful detail, logical thoughts and a wonderful rhythm that carries through from beginning to end. However, I am 77. I cannot pay attention to anything that long anymore and I have to reread every statement in order to possess and understand your wonderful commentary. Or my Veryoldmind, will not be able to absorb your extra intelligent thoughts for this Veryolddog. So, I would appreciate it if you would keep commentary simple, to the point, and 1000 words or less. (LOL) Thank you!
Sorry Veryolddog, brevity is unnatural for an opinionated old fart like me with too much time on his hands. :rolleyes:

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Made me smile

Reaction Score
You need to audiobook version.

Reaction Score
UConn may not become a smooth motion offense this year. But they may turn out to be a tough defensive team, using pressure and quickness to produce pts off to's and in transition. That's what I saw last night from the point Griffin entered the game till the mid-point of the 4th period when she came out.
I have noticed a lack of both transition pts and pts off to's this year as opponents emphasised getting back on defense and forced UConn into a half court game. Griffin, while a lost child in a half court offense, is a beast in an open court format and to a large degree most of the others also.

IMO if UConn is to go deep into the tournament they will do it with aggressive defense. Not physical, but smart and opportunistic.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When two of UConn's upperclassmen, who happen to be two of their better scorers, have fourth quarters like Dangerfield and Walker had against Baylor and Tennessee, UConn will struggle to make it to an Elite Eight. The shooting slumps have got to end or they will get beaten by Oregon and SC. As long as they continue to struggle to score 60 points, they are vulnerable to lose to any good team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thank goodness for Crystal helping to keep the Huskies in the game against the Lady Vols in the first half. It was fantastic to see UConn playing tough, lockdown defense, aggressively going after rebounds and showing great effort in the second half. The way some of the players dove after loose balls reminded me of the era when Mel Thomas played for the Huskies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Thank goodness for Crystal helping to keep the Huskies in the game against the Lady Vols in the first half. It was fantastic to see UConn playing tough, lockdown defense, aggressively going after rebounds and showing great effort in the second half. The way some of the players dove after loose balls reminded me of the era when Mel Thomas played for the Huskies.
Mellie Mel did wipe a few gym floors with her jersey!

Reaction Score
Think back to the 2010 National Championship game when UConn couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean in the 1st half, falling behind Stanford by double-digits. In the second half the Huskies clawed their way back to win maybe the ugliest championship game in the history of WBB by a score of 53-47.
Maya Moore was the key to UConn’s 53-47 win in the 2010 National Championship game. She scored 23 points, and she was the only UConn player to score in double digits.

There were two additional factors that had a significant impact on the outcome of the game, however.

The first factor was the officiating. The referees’ foul calls were very lopsided in favor of UConn. The Huskies had 22 free throw attempts, versus just 4 for Stanford. If the refs had called the game more evenly, Stanford probably would have won the game.

The second factor was Jayne Appel. Tara VanDerveer has said that Appel was one of the best centers she ever coached. Appel was a smart player and was the Cardinal’s third-best scorer and rebounder in the 2009-2010 season (13.2 PPG average, 8.7 rebounds-per-game average), after Nneka Ogwumike and Kayla Pedersen. She also was an excellent passer and a great screener.

Appel entered the national championship game with an injured, heavily taped ankle. Despite the injury, she helped Stanford hold UConn to just 12 points in the first half. She struggled on offense, however, because she was not able to effectively push off of her injured ankle.

In the first five minutes of the second half, Appel rolled her ankle, further reducing her effectiveness. Although she played injured for 30 minutes during the game, she was forced to sit on the bench for more than 7 minutes in the second half. Her replacement, Joslyn Tinkle, had a scoring average of just 4.6 PPG that season, and she was not nearly as good a passer as Appel. Meanwhile, with Appel injured and Tinkle in the game, UConn’s offense became more effective, Maya and Tina in particular.

Appel finished the game with zero points scored. Zippo. This was largely due to her ankle injury. This performance stands in sharp contrast to her performance against the Huskies in Hartford earlier in the season, when she scored 12 points.

The bottom line is that if Appel had not had an injured ankle, Stanford might very well have won the game, which is, in fact, what Stanford did when the teams had a rematch at Maples later that year. Stanford crushed UConn, 71-59; Jeanette Pohlen lit up UConn for 31 points in that game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Most years I’ve heard Geno say once or twice something to the effect, we need to work on our defense, the offense will take care of itself. I don’t ever remember him saying the converse, but won’t be surprised to hear it before the end of this season.

Reaction Score
A week ago most of the UCONN fans didn't think Tennessee should be ranked.

I think UConn is flawed but still more talented than its schedule to this point (less Baylor).

I think this game was less about being gritty than it was about Tennessee's problems. How much UCONN defense had to do with that is debatable.

I haven't seen the great wbb team this year.

Oregon trouncing Stanford was as close as it came for me. I haven't seen their losses or much else from them though. Looking forward to their date with UCONN.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I think UConn is flawed but still more talented than its schedule to this point (less Baylor).

I think this game was less about being gritty than it was about Tennessee's problems. How much UCONN defense had to do with that is debatable.

Oregon trouncing Stanford was as close as it came for me. I haven't seen their losses or much else from them though. Looking forward to their date with UCONN.
I generally agree with your comments, but I would qualify them somewhat. Certainly, some of TN’s turnovers were inexplicable, but many were do to ferocious defense, particularly from Aubrey who played like a “piranha on a roast” to borrow a phrase from Coach Schaefer.

While Oregon’s win over Stanford was certainly impressive, it should be noted that Stanford has been dealing with a growing injury bug, with no less than 5 key players either out for the season or missing games due to leg and ankle injuries.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sometimes it can take just a few games for a team’s personality to emerge. Sometimes it can take the better part of a season. This year’s team has been an enigma. The long stretches when UConn plays “beautiful basketball” seemingly scoring with ease and putting the game out of reach early, have been rare this season. More often, UConn grinds it out winning close games against teams like Memphis, UCF and again yesterday vs TN.

As I thought more about the game last night it occurred to me that the Husky team we watched grind it out against a long, athletic LV team last night is in fact the personality of this team. Last night, more than any other game in recent memory, this team played Old School UConn WBB, reminiscent of days gone by, when UConn won games not because of precision motion offense and great shooting, but simply because they were tougher than everyone else. Think back to the 2010 National Championship game when UConn couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean in the 1st half, falling behind Stanford by double-digits. In the second half the Huskies clawed their way back to win maybe the ugliest championship game in the history of WBB by a score of 53-47.

Frequently this season, UConn has played soft against inferior opponents. Only Crystal has consistently shown the toughness that typically characterizes UConn WBB. What I witnessed last night was a UConn team coming together to play tough, physical basketball against a talented TN team. Inspired by our two amazing freshmen, UConn scratched and clawed for every loose ball or rebound. Finally getting the message that she needed to play harder, Liv gave us the best 12-minute stretch of her career to date. She mixed it up with TN’s Bigs, fouling out Key. Liv aggressively went after every rebound and even dove on the floor after loose balls. While Christyn and Megan didn’t shoot the ball particularly well, they rebounded and defended like their lives depended on it.

This is who we are this season. It may not always be pretty, but the fact is that if this UConn team continues to dig down and play tough defense and scrap for every rebound and loose ball, they can beat any team in the country. Other than a 4-minute stretch vs Baylor, UConn has prevailed against everyone they have played this season. A lot of folks think the Huskies won’t be able to overcome the size and talent of OR & SC in the next few weeks. Kelly Graves and Dawn Staley know better. Those games will be wars. If the UConn team we saw last night shows up, the Huskies absolutely have the ability to knock off the Ducks and the Gamecocks.

In my mind, I’ve been going back and forth this season trying to answer the question of whether or not UConn could possibly get back to their 13th straight FF and somehow win their 12th National Championship. While it will certainly be an enormous task, last night I clearly saw a path for the Huskies to prevail. The games may be tough, grind-it-out basketball. But in the end, if UConn puts together another ugly 53-47 championship, it will be a thing of beauty.

The 2010 NC game was not representative of anything but the 2010 NC game. It certainly did not represent the usual Old School UCONN Wbb of the time, the usual result, or the style of play (at least in the first half). That team and it’s season was one of the best ever and IIRC the most dominant in UCONN history by a few measures up to that point. They scored a lot of points and annihilated pretty much everyone not named Stanford, with only a few clunkers. That’s what Old School UCONN Wbb looked like, if 2010 is the timeframe, at least.

Of course one could say that our win against the Orange Ones was reminiscent of that one game back in 2010 in that we had a rough first half and had to fight back, but we’ve several such struggles this season. In fairness, this year’s squad has also notched its share of blowouts and easy wins and will likely have a few more. But our last win was not at all reminiscent of UCONN ball as it was usually played in days gone by. If it had been, Geno would not have been at a complete loss for words when Lobo interviewed him at halftime of the 2010 NC before he headed to the locker room. Instead, he would have just shrugged and said, “Well you know, Rebecca, this is how it is for us these days. We just have to scrap and fight and figure out how to correct what went wrong, and find someone who can start making plays.”

But if it takes another 12-point first half for us to win the NC, count me in..!!

:D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Most years I’ve heard Geno say once or twice something to the effect, we need to work on our defense, the offense will take care of itself. I don’t ever remember him saying the converse, but won’t be surprised to hear it before the end of this season.
Very astute. This team has consistently had to rely on its defense to win games against tough opponents.

Reaction Score
I generally agree with your comments, but I would qualify them somewhat. Certainly, some of TN’s turnovers were inexplicable, but many were do to ferocious defense, particularly from Aubrey who played like a “piranha on a roast” to borrow a phrase from Coach Schaefer.

While Oregon’s win over Stanford was certainly impressive, it should be noted that Stanford has been dealing with a growing injury bug, with no less than 5 key players either out for the season or missing games due to leg and ankle injuries.
But not so much in Oregon game. I do think the UConn-Oregon game will tell us who makes FF.

Reaction Score

Watch the halftime Baylor UCONN game in 2010-2011. You can go to UCONNHUSKY games and just listen ot his halftime interview. I seriously doubt he was thinking the offense can take care of itself. It's like hearing him say Collier can't guard a chair.

Reaction Score

Tennessee certainly is a flawed team. And UConn is no machine either so far.

But in the third quarter, it seemed to me that UConn put away UT with their defensive intensity. UT did not give the game away if that is what you’re implying.

To me the more puzzling aspect of the game was UConn’s inability to make shots. Many were wide open looks afforded by the defense UT played. Had they made a slightly higher percentage, the predictions before the game would have proven accurate.

This seems to be the conundrum this year: are we not a great shooting team or are we just not experienced enough yet to shoot confidently throughout a tough game.

Reaction Score
I don't care how good of a shooter you are there are going to be times when, if the basket were 5'x5' and you were on a stepladder it would hit the rim and bounce out. One of the ECU players shot one at the buzzer about ten feet before the half court line and it hit the top of the board above the rim and went in. I would wager a hundred dollars that if she shot that fifty time again it wouldn't go in. Not all of the players Geno recruits are Diana but I guarantee you they were the best scorers on their high school teams. The major difference when you make a jump to Div. One is that extra one or two seconds you get at the high school level. Meg and Christine are much more accurate when they have that extra second. When the defense takes it away you suffer.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom