Old Geno Quote | The Boneyard

Old Geno Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hi all, I am trying to remember what Geno said, it might have been in his book.... but didn't Geno say something about how:

(totally paraphrased) anyone could win one national title, to win a second title means you're not a fluke, and if you win multiple titles it means you are a good coach.

Does anyone know the exact quote?

Geno has won seven and hopefully tonight an eighth. Kim Mulkey has won two. Muffet has won one. What does this say about Muffet? And she has had multiple opportunities to add to her one.

Reaction Score
It means Muffet hasn't had the players.

Seriously, as good as Diggins is, she was not in my opinion a NPoY level player. And after you get past Diggins, how many first team AA players--or players that could have achieved that with the right coaching--has Muffet had? Anyone other than Ruth Riley (who WAS NPoY caliber, although I can't off the top of my head remember whether she won it)?

Yes, ND has appeared in the championship game multiple times ... but don't ding Muffet for overachieving!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Obviously not everyone can win a title. Muffet is a very good coach. She certainly knows how to prepare her team for us.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It means Muffet hasn't had the players.

Anyone other than Ruth Riley (who WAS NPoY caliber, although I can't off the top of my head remember whether she won it)?
Naismith and AP NPoY in 2001 when Muffet got her NC. Riley won a lot of defensive awards too.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Doesn't the coaching and the system have something to do with how players perform and, therefore, who becomes National Player of the Year and who fulfills her potential so that she is recognized as an All American? I think of all the Rutgers and Tennessee players discussed in here for not performing as advertised. I've got to think the coaching is a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom