• 220th in turnover prevention (20%)
  • 298th in 3p% (29.3%)
  • 274th in 3pa/fga ratio (33.6%)

DEFENSE: 22nd in efficiency
  • 8th in block % (17.1%)
  • 24th in opponent 2p% (42.3%)
  • 40th in opponent 3p% (27.3%)
  • 40th in non-steal/block TOs (12%)
  • 79th percentile in opponent average possession length (18 sec/poss)
  • 25th percentile in 3PA prevention

1669751626446.png

Inheriting a program faced with an FBI investigation, I’ve admired how Mike Boynton has led his team with poise during the investigations and fielded a hard working program in spite of their postseason ban.

Eligible for the postseason this year, Oklahoma State is in good shape to earn an at-large bid thanks to their gritty, athletic defense and interior-based offense.

Cisse might be the best defensive big UConn has played against this season and I’m excited to see how Sanogo/Clingan battle with him. Cisse plays ~60% of the minutes at the 5, anchoring a starting lineup with decent size at the 3-5 (the top row below thanks to KenPom), but Oklahoma State is not afraid to play small:

XvHRzhw7l3nyeq_UR--gGVDZ-GS4RJW7zdKxu0sCF-9ciswHLICJzwbbPzG7dQS647gkqboH_unPFfbkN2WxEf01sk9r09MP256Q4ZuXj-WgsRDB6l-gdTMEpuR3HL24mnMlv2FdNj2jB-g0rrxeolJ7vGM3zSBn4ExjkSqGtwQmkAETpAmRXP43GyuCCg

Again, another solid OOC game with UConn the clear favorites. I’m looking forward to this one!

Reaction Score
i like the guard match-ups for us. our guys are bigger, better shooters, better passers, and better defenders.

don't know a ton about cisse's game, but sanogo and clingan both have 30 - 40 pounds on him which i also like. i am scarred by skinny centers after years of brimah and facey during the ollie era.

thanks again for the post!

Reaction Score
A turnover-prone bad 3-point shooting team against our wing and interior defense and fast-break offense? Yes, please.
That’s certainly our main win condition here

Maybe a hot take but I feel like they have a great opportunity to come out and punch us in the face early. We’re riding high and just got our first top 10 ranking in a long time. First “comfortable” back at home in over a week. Very possible we come out more relaxed and play down.

But if we don’t do that and come out strong, that’s yet another sign of a really really great team.

Reaction Score
What I like about this team is, no scouting report needed. Just play our game and we win.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
PG Anderson plays a crap-ton of minutes - likely not going to be able to expend that much energy on defense, which should allow Newton more space than he had with Iowa State. They're pretty wispy up front as well so we should be able to maintain our rebounding edge. If any of their bigs get into foul trouble they don't have any depth. I like our chances...

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
That’s certainly our main win condition here

Maybe a hot take but I feel like they have a great opportunity to come out and punch us in the face early. We’re riding high and just got our first top 10 ranking in a long time. First “comfortable” back at home in over a week. Very possible we come out more relaxed and play down.

But if we don’t do that and come out strong, that’s yet another sign of a really really great team.
That’s my concern too. Plus we didn’t really start well, but obviously ended fantastically in the games at PK85, it was our first wave of subs that got us motoring .

I think coach will be very cognizant of a let down though. Should be good.

Reaction Score
i like the guard match-ups for us. our guys are bigger, better shooters, better passers, and better defenders.

don't know a ton about cisse's game, but sanogo and clingan both have 30 - 40 pounds on him which i also like. i am scarred by skinny centers after years of brimah and facey during the ollie era.

thanks again for the post!

All I know about Cisse is that he was a high 5 star recruit for Memphis 2 years ago.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
To be honest I'm not worried about a down game - a couple of slow starts but beyond that they have played with hustle almost every minute. Hell, they kept pounding away at teams down 30 without letting up the gas.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FWIW, OSU had best bunch of fans I've ever encountered at a Final Four. We were watching their game in Dick's on the Riverwalk and it was all orange from fans who came to town without a ticket just to party. They were stunned when they found out we had tix, though. "Why aren't you inside?" No beer! Duh!

Reaction Score
Bottom line is UConn needs to play horribly to lose to Oklahoma State. If both teams play well, UConn wins easily. If only UConn plays well, UConn wins big. Rebound, move the ball, and get good looks. Simple.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit concerned about a post-trip let down. But we'll see. I'm sure the coaches are all over it. They're on a mission this year.

OSU's D isn't quite as good without Likekele, but it's still quite good. They're going to be playing with a chip on their shoulder about all the press we got this week. A bit like Michigan vs. VIrginia last night. Glad it's a home game, but can't get complacent.

Have to keep making the smart plays. Would be nice to get Cisse into foul trouble. Thankfully we've played a few somewhat similar teams at PKI.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm a bit concerned about a post-trip let down. But we'll see. I'm sure the coaches are all over it. They're on a mission this year.

OSU's D isn't quite as good without Likekele, but it's still quite good. They're going to be playing with a chip on their shoulder about all the press we got this week. A bit like Michigan vs. VIrginia last night. Glad it's a home game, but can't get complacent.

Have to keep making the smart plays. Would be nice to get Cisse into foul trouble. Thankfully we've played a few somewhat similar teams at PKI.
No guarantees ever. UConn proved that in 99.

But from a standpoint of probability I feel letdowns are less likely with deep quality teams.

Reaction Score
No guarantees ever. UConn proved that in 99.

But from a standpoint of probability I feel letdowns are less likely with deep quality teams.

The depth is unlike anything I've ever seen. Hurley doesn't have to be held hostage and keep a player on the floor for any reason.

If he needs ball handling he has ball handlers. If he needs shooting he has shooters. If he needs defense he's got defenders. Stay healthy and this team is built like a 3rd weekend team.

Ok St's D won't be anywhere near what Iowa State was. It feels like UConn can have an off-night and still win comfortably.

Reaction Score
To be honest I'm not worried about a down game - a couple of slow starts but beyond that they have played with hustle almost every minute. Hell, they kept pounding away at teams down 30 without letting up the gas.
The continued "pounding away" is definitely a new thing for us.

We didn't really do it in the JC years and during our down years before JC and after KO plenty of teams kept beating on us no matter the scores.

Reaction Score
Hawkins and Sanogo adding a few points could help but I agree that hustle, effort and defense are the key to every game. Seriously, with as many players that can score on this roster any given night it can be someone different who puts up 15-20. I want to see AJAX continue to improve on offense. There’s always a question in your mind after that great weekend can we keep it up?

Reaction Score
I think this could be a tougher than expected match up, maybe the toughest test Uconn faces, of the P5 teams faced so far but I think UConn keeps them at arm's length for the duration and wins by 10-12, maybe something like 68-56 or 72-61 type of game.

I'm not too nervous as long as there is not any ice-cold shooting and excess of mental errors I think UConn will remain 2-3 possessions away from a tight game in the closing 20.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom