Ok, today my jaw dropped... | The Boneyard

Ok, today my jaw dropped...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While driving on an errand, I tuned in the Tim Brando show on Sirius Channel 91. Caught the tail end of a conversation in which he told a caller that he thought that BYU was more likely to join the American Conference than the Big 12. He made it sound plausible. Didn't hear the whole conversation, so I don't know the context for the comment.

Reaction Score
While driving on an errand, I tuned in the Tim Brando show on Sirius Channel 91. Caught the tail end of a conversation in which he told a caller that he thought that BYU was more likely to join the American Conference than the Big 12. He made it sound plausible. Didn't hear the whole conversation, so I don't know the context for the comment.
Coach...with the recent in-fighting among the P-5...and Aresco's willingness to have the AAC play by the P-5's rules; I can see the AAC making a move to become the 6th group of the P-6. It makes more sense than another round of realignment...way too many GOR's in place now for schools to jump from Conference to Conference.

Reaction Score

Not a shocker since ESPN owns both BYU & the AAC. The question is can the rest of the AAC make some more money as BYU is made whole.

BYU needs a conference to take them due to the strain they are starting to experience in scheduling. If the AAC is the one who raises their hand & says they are willing to work on a way to get it done letting BYU keep their current TV deal than BYU joins the American. They really don't have any other choice. The Big 12 would never make that kind of a deal with BYU as they already have their internal issues with LHN.

Reaction Score
I recall Tim Brando from the time he was the local sportscaster here in Baton Rouge at WAFB. He is an SEC/LSU/Ole Miss homer. I am not sure that he has any inside information on BYU, the Big 12 or the AAC.

He just left CBS to join....the SEC Network. He may be correct, but I have my doubts about the source of the info.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well it could have come from this article suggesting just that. There is some logic to it.
In very summary form:
  • BYU scheduling problems now that ACC and SEC won't play them
  • BYU willingness to spend to P5 levels
  • AAC willingness to spend to P5 levels
  • AAC access to New Years day bowls (best G5 team)
  • AAC quasi-alliance on scheduling with BYU
  • Strength of schedule improves for BYU and AAC schools
I am certainly not sold, because the TV money split would be an issue. I suspect that UConn wouldn't allow it unless it got some special deal as well.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Coach...with the recent in-fighting among the P-5...and Aresco's willingness to have the AAC play by the P-5's rules; I can see the AAC making a move to become the 6th group of the P-6. It makes more sense than another round of realignment...way too many GOR's in place now for schools to jump from Conference to Conference.

The American will never be "P-6" with schools like Temple and Tulsa. They have to go, and Tulane probably too. Then take UConn, ECU, UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, Memphis, Cinci, Navy and add BYU and you might have something, until then no chance AAC is ever a "P-6" conference.

Reaction Score
The American will never be "P-6" with schools like Temple and Tulsa. They have to go, and Tulane probably too. Then take UConn, ECU, UCF, USF, Houston, SMU, Memphis, Cinci, Navy and add BYU and you might have something, until then no chance AAC is ever a "P-6" conference.
That trans-continental Big East of Summer 2012 could have been really nice, particularly with BYU in the fold. Instead, the Mountain West and AAC are now unquestionably inferior to that, and BYU is now in a bit of a tough spot, too.

Reaction Score
I recall Tim Brando from the time he was the local sportscaster here in Baton Rouge at WAFB. He is an SEC/LSU/Ole Miss homer. I am not sure that he has any inside information on BYU, the Big 12 or the AAC.

He just left CBS to join....the SEC Network. He may be correct, but I have my doubts about the source of the info.

You may not be aware of this, but I think he does have tons of inside info, he is best pals with Mike Aresco from their time at CBS together. Aresco is frequent guest on his show. He's more likely to have insight than any West Virginia based twitter account.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That trans-continental Big East of Summer 2012 could have been really nice, particularly with BYU in the fold. Instead, the Mountain West and AAC are now unquestionably inferior to that, and BYU is now in a bit of a tough spot, too.

I really wish we would consider disbanding the American (or booting a few teams), adding the top MWC schools (BYU, SDSU, don't care who third is - Fresno / UNLV) and sitting at an even 12.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It wouldn't be implausable to believe that there isn't any coalition of P5 schools with enough votes to sway legislation significantly in any direction. Stalemate.

Right now it looks like B1g and PAC12 on one side and B12 and SEC on the other. ACC is fencesitting. One of the two bigger coalitions sponsors AAC as a 6th power conference in exchange for their votes as a block to push through legislation.

As soon as I figure out how this can actually happen without the obvious WTF? trigger from the other side, it'll all make sense. Anyone have a giant wooden horse?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Bring them in. The two best G5 schools can help each other out.

Reaction Score
I do think it plausible that the AAC expands to include BYU, Boise, SDSU, and Air Force for FB only. It can then make the case that it alone deserves the "other" invite to the big bowls.

Reaction Score
I do think it plausible that the AAC expands to include BYU, Boise, SDSU, and Air Force for FB only. It can then make the case that it alone deserves the "other" invite to the big bowls.
Until an NIU or Boise or whomever goes undefeated versus a 1 loss AAC team. That spot is open for a reason. And it is called hope. Until/unless the playoff expands beyond the 4 teams, the prospect of adding another spot to a single G5 league is not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
I think it ultimately goes down to how willing BYU is in going back and mend fractured relationships with the MWC...and if BYU can get the preferred revenue distribution setup that Boise State is getting. It's a more natural fit than the AAC but maybe they burned their bridges when they left a few years back.

I think it's becoming clear that their gambit of going indy for better positioning hasn't quite worked out as planned.

Reaction Score
You may not be aware of this, but I think he does have tons of inside info, he is best pals with Mike Aresco from their time at CBS together. Aresco is frequent guest on his show. He's more likely to have insight than any West Virginia based twitter account.

That is damning him with faint praise, which is all that he should get in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Well it could have come from this article suggesting just that. There is some logic to it.
In very summary form:
  • BYU scheduling problems now that ACC and SEC won't play them
  • BYU willingness to spend to P5 levels
  • AAC willingness to spend to P5 levels
  • AAC access to New Years day bowls (best G5 team)
  • AAC quasi-alliance on scheduling with BYU
  • Strength of schedule improves for BYU and AAC schools
I am certainly not sold, because the TV money split would be an issue. I suspect that UConn wouldn't allow it unless it got some special deal as well.
Interesting article for sure.

Reaction Score
That is damning him with faint praise, which is all that he should get in my opinion.

Faint praise for what? You don't think it is more likely that he would have greater insight even though he has close ties with Aresco.

The WVU twitter thing was tongue in cheek. Sheesh. I bet he knows more than McMurphy.

Reaction Score

How about we kick Tulane and Tulsa and bring in Boise, BYU and SDSU?

Reaction Score
Let's assume the legislation passes that you can pick your own rules for determining a conference champion? If so, merge the MWC, AAC and BYU. In football, have two national divisions -- an A league and a B league -- where it is the A league champion that is the league champion competing for a BCS bowl (or whatever we're going to call it now). Some grouping like BYU, UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, Navy, Temple, San Diego St, Boise St, Fresno St., Colorado St. and Air Force. Something like that.

In all other sports, the divide is East -- West, so basically you have an AAC conference and a MWC conference under one leadership and with pooled championships at the end of the year. In the absence of one national conference of 12 or 14 teams that won't work for any sport other than football, or the ability to have a football only conference, is that about as good as we can do at the moment?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
Let's assume the legislation passes that you can pick your own rules for determining a conference champion? If so, merge the MWC, AAC and BYU. In football, have two national divisions -- an A league and a B league -- where it is the A league champion that is the league champion competing for a BCS bowl (or whatever we're going to call it now). Some grouping like BYU, UConn, Cincy, USF, UCF, Navy, Temple, San Diego St, Boise St, Fresno St., Colorado St. and Air Force. Something like that.

In all other sports, the divide is East -- West, so basically you have an AAC conference and a MWC conference under one leadership and with pooled championships at the end of the year. In the absence of one national conference of 12 or 14 teams that won't work for any sport other than football, or the ability to have a football only conference, is that about as good as we can do at the moment?

This is an excellent idea to maximize the SAS for the two major G-5 conferences. The push back would be on the fact that teams relegated to the B league for a couple years would end up on the pay no mind list. CFB is built on peacock in your program into the national discussion. No program wants to do anything that might brand them as an also ran.

In truth, the NCAA should just step in and do this nationally with 64 spots in the A division. Go 0-12 or 3-9, see ya next time around.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score

Never happen BL, way to logical for CR.

Truthfully I like it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member