OK, time for a MAJOR MEA CULPA | The Boneyard

OK, time for a MAJOR MEA CULPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After watching the tourney run, and the play of freshman DC, and the prediction of Jay Bilas, and the coaching of Dan Hurley, I must make a MAJOR MEA CULPA. 1. This team is playing with a passion, togetherness, and class that I, along with some others did not see coming. 2. Donovan Clingan has broken through the freshman wall, and is a potential NBA player. My thoughts about him, at the time, were suspect, because of the high school competition he faced. 3. Dan Hurley has taken this team from the the disaster that was the AAC, to the top echelon of the Big East, and has silenced a lot of the naysayers, that were calling for his head in the past few years. Finally, Jay Bilas is not as ignorant as some of us thought he was. OK, even if they don't bring home the trophy, it's safe to say that UCONN men's basketball IS BACK, and the future is bright as can be. OK, I WILL TAKE MY BEATING, HAVE AT IT, BONEYARDERS.

Reaction Score
No need for Mea Culpa. You are not the only one with those thoughts. Jay Bilas is a lawyer and a very knowledgeable BB analyst having played at Duke under coach K. Jay picked UConn and Duke when very few people picked them. He doubled down on UConn when Duke lost. Jay was extremely fair to UConn when Calhoun was coaching.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
After watching the tourney run, and the play of freshman DC, and the prediction of Jay Bilas, and the coaching of Dan Hurley, I must make a MAJOR MEA CULPA. 1. This team is playing with a passion, togetherness, and class that I, along with some others did not see coming. 2. Donovan Clingan has broken through the freshman wall, and is a potential NBA player. My thoughts about him, at the time, were suspect, because of the high school competition he faced. 3. Dan Hurley has taken this team from the the disaster that was the AAC, to the top echelon of the Big East, and has silenced a lot of the naysayers, that were calling for his head in the past few years. Finally, Jay Bilas is not as ignorant as some of us thought he was. OK, even if they don't bring home the trophy, it's safe to say that UCONN men's basketball IS BACK, and the future is bright as can be. OK, I WILL TAKE MY BEATING, HAVE AT IT, BONEYARDERS.

Seeing HS videos of Donovan...something happened from JR year on . He went from a. dunking bean pole to a monster

Reaction Score
Bilas has always appreciated what Calhoun built, but also thought he did not get enough credit as an X's and O's man. I remember watching him talk about the 99 championship and for a former Duke player to say that Calhoun flat out outcoached Coach K was amazing to me. He didn't mince words.
I think most people who aren't Dukies would agree, but for him to say it, well I just gained a lot of respect for him at the time. I think a little arrogance has settled in a bit with him over the years, but I would rather listen to Bilas courtside calling a game and giving analysis than just about anyone else.
I also still love the time when he kind of put Sean McDonough in his place for basically implying that JC's methods were almost abusive the way he'd call a TO and walk out on the floor to berate and bench a player. Bilas basically shut him down saying that it was tough love and that you would not find a coach's players who loved their coach more than Calhouns guys.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mea culpas now are fine. Folks are doing it now for themselves more than us. We really don't care. But will it take? Or will the old ways come streaming back the next time UConn only beats an average team on the road by 9?

Reaction Score
I’ve been super critical of Hurley’s antics and poor in game management at times. No apologies for that, but apologies for my skepticism as to whether he could ascend to the next level. He did. He has evolved. Compare him this run in manner, composure and purposeful in-game chess management to the past, and it’s night and day. With this success under his belt, nothing will stop him if keeps doing what he’s doing.

Reaction Score
I’ve been super critical of Hurley’s antics and poor in game management at times. No apologies for that, but apologies for my skepticism as to whether he could ascend to the next level. He did. He has evolved. Compare him this run in manner, composure and purposeful in-game chess management to the past, and it’s night and day. With this success under his belt, nothing will stop him if keeps doing what he’s doing.
We're seeing win by 28 not threatened gracious Hurley in this tourney. The horns are just under the scalp.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The past 2 weeks and the first 14 games were impressive. We all hope it continues. As I’ve said recently I appreciate the way DH has controlled himself which allowed the players to play a bit carefree. The xs & is is still a concern but the talent and confidence has helped them take it up a notch. This is a great run and everyone associated with this team deserves a high-five. Let’s keep on keeping on.

Reaction Score
The past 2 weeks and the first 14 games were impressive. We all hope it continues. As I’ve said recently I appreciate the way DH has controlled himself which allowed the players to play a bit carefree. The xs & is is still a concern but the talent and confidence has helped them take it up a notch. This is a great run and everyone associated with this team deserves a high-five. Let’s keep on keeping on.
I thought he has been pretty much on the mark all the way through. There are things here and there but he seems to have head operating over the top of the game instead of possession to possession.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After watching the tourney run, and the play of freshman DC, and the prediction of Jay Bilas, and the coaching of Dan Hurley, I must make a MAJOR MEA CULPA... OK, I WILL TAKE MY BEATING, HAVE AT IT, BONEYARDERS.
I'm slapping a Like on you and this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom