Ok so we got teams...where's tv? | The Boneyard

Ok so we got teams...where's tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So we've seen the Big East get a flurry of teams the past few months but there hasn't been a peep about any possible new TV deal. I know these deals are usually kept hush hush but nothing??

Anyone heard or seen anything about who might be interested? I mean all these moves have been made on the premise that a new TV deal will be struck because of all the big markets we're located in. So where's the news? Do we need to wait until the TV deal with ESPN starts coming to a close?

There's been speculation that the deal can be with the new NBC network, FOX, or ESPN. To me, if the Big East wants to keep the remaining members (not the newbies) it needs to show them the money! Louisville has no reason to stick around. Neither does Cincy or UConn or RU. Unfortunately, only Louisville and Cincy are the ones being mentioned as the next to jump ship. I'd think a new, lucrative TV deal would be the best incentive to get them to stay.

Anyone seen anything of interest in terms of TV deals?

Reaction Score
The presumption is that we are going to get a big offer from NBC as they just launched NBC sports and do not have any type of worthwhile programming.
Best case scenario- NBC and ESPN bid against one another, driving price up.
Worst case- NBC lowballs and ESPN laughs in our faces for rejecting their original offer.
The reason you aren't seeing any news is that ESPN would have a field day if they found out that NBC was tampering with an entity (Big East) which they held under contract. Big lawsuit, NBC wants nothing to do with it. When fall comes around you'll probably hear a few whispers here and there, but even then ESPN has exclusive negotiation rights (I think for 2-3 months)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I guess the question is, do you accept a FB deal from ESPN that matches their per team deal with the ACC but puts most BE games on weeknights, the U, and ESPN3? Or would you take a bit less from NBC to have wall to wall Saturday coverage on NBCs and one game following ND on the main network?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I guess the question is, do you accept a FB deal from ESPN that matches their per team deal with the ACC but puts most BE games on weeknights, the U, and ESPN3? Or would you take a bit less from NBC to have wall to wall Saturday coverage on NBCs and one game following ND on the main network?

A hypothetical that starts with "what if ESPN were to pay the Big East as much as the ACC" just takes me back to what ifs about me sleeping with Jennifer Lopez. Stop it. We're not getting that offer.

Reaction Score
Jennifer Lopez.........really?

Put me down for Jennifer Aniston.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I wonder if it might be realistic for teams to begin joining for basketball and football only (where you make the money on TV contracts), but not for the rest of the sports. That might allow these western teams to join for both Football and Basketball while not having the additional cost of travel for all of the olympic sports.

Although, I guess the problem would be finding a home for the other sports in a conference. If I am the WAC, why bother taking the olympic sports of a BSU, SDSU, BYU, etc if you aren't going to get the sports that really matter (Football and Basketball).

I haven't heard this talked about at all...but I wonder if this might be something they might be looking at to maximize the TV deal.

Reaction Score
Actually, along the lines of wishful thinking and every bit as likely as the Big East is to getting an ACC TV deal - is my pending affair with Demi Moore. And, yes, I know that makes me an old fart, but oh man......

God I hope my wife never reads this board......

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A hypothetical that starts with "what if ESPN were to pay the Big East as much as the ACC" just takes me back to what ifs about me sleeping with Jennifer Lopez. Stop it. We're not getting that offer.

Lol, you're right of course on the value :oops: The main question I was trying to get at was, what is the value of programming placement and league promotion?

Reaction Score
not sure the timing, but was also wondering when we'd see the schools sign away their media rights to the BE. That seems to be the only factor providing some stability to the Big12 right now. Latest report was that WVU has already signed over their media rights.
Does the BE push for this now, or wait until the newest contract is up? I suppose part of the reason that this isn't pushed is that so many schools including Uconn are hoping for a lifeline from another conference. Of course, until everyone signs, we're going to have the constant rumors of schools leaving the league...

It's the old chicken or egg concept I suppose...

Reaction Score
not sure the timing, but was also wondering when we'd see the schools sign away their media rights to the BE. That seems to be the only factor providing some stability to the Big12 right now. Latest report was that WVU has already signed over their media rights.
Does the BE push for this now, or wait until the newest contract is up? I suppose part of the reason that this isn't pushed is that so many schools including Uconn are hoping for a lifeline from another conference. Of course, until everyone signs, we're going to have the constant rumors of schools leaving the league...

It's the old chicken or egg concept I suppose...

No one is signing away anything in advance of the new TV contract. Then, hard decisions will have to be made.

Reaction Score
Actually, along the lines of wishful thinking and every bit as likely as the Big East is to getting an ACC TV deal - is my pending affair with Demi Moore. And, yes, I know that makes me an old fart, but oh man......

Hysterical bag of bones with a serious drug problem. Weird fetish,------------------ damn.

Reaction Score
Hysterical bag of bones with a serious drug problem. Weird fetish,------------------ damn.

Well, not that Demi Moore. The stripper one in the movie with Burt Reynolds.

Reaction Score
Is this new deal for football only, or would this be for BB as well?
Most of the discussion is around FB and what that means for TV deals... Regardless, I would think the value of the BE basketball TV rights has gone up significantly over the past couple years.

Reaction Score
Regardless, I would think the value of the BE basketball TV rights has gone up significantly over the past couple years.
Not when you lose 3 of your marquee programs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I'm an old fart but if I spent as much as ESPN did on the ACC I'd expect nothing less than Kate Upton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom