OK, I've held it in as long as I can | The Boneyard

OK, I've held it in as long as I can

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
It's always been a pet peeve of mine that it takes an earthquake get get some fans off their butts at the Gampel. The Baylor game was a perfect example. Our seats are behind the 'primo' floor seats across from the benches. I swear those 'fans' are next to moribund. Want to get more action from the crowd? Emulate Duke. Give the 1st 'X' rows of seats to the students. Even I am not as active in the stands as I was 30 years ago, but I still managed enough jumpin n pumpin to be sore for 3 days after. Breath some damn life into the place!

Reaction Score
It's always been a pet peeve of mine that it takes an earthquake get get some fans off their butts at the Gampel. The Baylor game was a perfect example. Our seats are behind the 'primo' floor seats across from the benches. I swear those 'fans' are next to moribund. Want to get more action from the crowd? Emulate Duke. Give the 1st 'X' rows of seats to the students. Even I am not as active in the stands as I was 30 years ago, but I still managed enough jumpin n pumpin to be sore for 3 days after. Breath some damn life into the place!

I like that---I like the 'solution" of having the Student in front--I posted recently about the high energy, high fun in the midst of the Students in the old Field house--Uconn kids got/get crazy in some of those event--but isn't that one of the pleasures of College???
If you look around you'll see some old fool making a jack---s of himself. Where is Teddy P (with the Uncle Sam hat) leading the cheering when you need him/???

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

$$$? Anyway, you gave me a good chuckle. I propose seat belts with an autolift (remote controlled) on their seats. You get to handle the remote.

Reaction Score

Some of the fans at UConn games are not young (to put it kindly) and a few are large. I have clear memories of games being long over and the place deserted when some senior fans were still being pried from their seats. It reminds me of the problem in the old Yankee Stadium when all of the seats had to be pulled out so that wider seats could be installed. Apparently some folks (some old, some large) needed to be removed with cranes. I thought the atmosphere for the Baylor game was electric. Wonder if we lost a few old loyalists when their defibrillators short-circuited. Hey, I think it's great that Husky fans are so loyal for so long. Personally, I want my ashes scattered over Gampel.

Reaction Score
I thought the atmosphere in Gampel for Baylor game was great. But I also thought a large part of that was due to the student section. While everyone cheered, it was the student section that stuck with the team and didn't turn silent when Baylor went on a run. I would like to see the students have the opportunity to sit in some of the lower side seats. It would be a big loss of income tho. I would think that they could "downfront" some of the students from up in the rafters to the unused lower seats. With the computer tracking they use, I would think they could give them some sort of provisional pass for unused seats.
The bleacher seats are a problem with the ever-expanding bottoms of the public -especially as we age. You don't want to be the last one trying to fit in a row of oversized people with no boundaries between seats! Still, the kid in me misses the old fieldhouse wooden bleachers and how we students commanded one side and made those bleachers rock and thunder!

Reaction Score
Problem with the students sitting in the "primo" seats is that they continue to stand thru most of the game, you are going to hear some complaining fro people sitting behind them. I don't go to Gampel anymore cause my back kills me without a seat back, hard for me to climb the stairs or climb over people and one gets so packed in, especially in the winter with all the heavy costs. It is also hard for me to keep getting up, my knees are almost shot.
I go to the football games because we got seats 1 row down on the lower level from the concourse, plus the stadium seats with arms help my back and help me get up. I can yell just as loud sitting down.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Some posters on VolNation were recently voicing concerns about declining attendance at TBA (no surprise - this is connected to their dismay about their coaching situation), and relevant to this thread, less enthusiasm/cheering from those who are present. To which someone countered that they still have one of the better attendance records in WCBB. To which someone countered-countered that graveyards also have a lot of folks present but that doesn't necessarily equate to an exciting atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom