Oillie vs Hurley recruits | The Boneyard

Oillie vs Hurley recruits

Reaction Score
I've lost track of which players on the current roster are Ollie recruits vs Hurley ones. Is it the case that some players who joined in Hurley's first year are Ollie recruits?

Can anyone list them out or tell me where I could look this info up?

Thx!

T

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I've lost track of which players on the current roster are Ollie recruits vs Hurley ones. Is it the case that some players who joined in Hurley's first year are Ollie recruits?

Can anyone list them out or tell me where I could look this info up?

Thx!

T
Click the link to get to the UConn media guide. Players on current roster that were on the 2016-2017 roster are KO's recruits. All others are Hurley's recruits.

UConn Media Guide

Reaction Score
Ollie: Vital, Gilbert, Whaley, Carlton, Polley, Wilson
Hurley: Adams, Akok, Bouknight, Gaffney, Cole, Springs

And no, none of the players who joined in 18-19 were Ollie’s recruits. The guys he signed (Akinjo, Matthews, Kisunas) all went somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Emotionally, I don't think there is a difference anymore.

Very much agree. I also don’t think it’s a divisive question. There’s almost always going to be some disruption with a coaching change of any kind, which we can see with the ‘18 class, but the roster is in good shape, both with talent and balance in the classes.

Reaction Score
Thanks hurley.

The weird thing now though is people are reversing their arguments. Used to be the old coach got credit if a player improved greatly under the new coach. Or vice versa.

As for me, I've always held that the new coach & the payer should get the credit if a player improved under him. So Hurley gets the credit for Whaley. But I have to be consistent with this when I look at Ollie.

Reaction Score
The weird thing now though is people are reversing their arguments. Used to be the old coach got credit if a player improved greatly under the new coach. Or vice versa.

As for me, I've always held that the new coach & the payer should get the credit if a player improved under him. So Hurley gets the credit for Whaley. But I have to be consistent with this when I look at Ollie.
Like 98% of the board knows Ollie did a great job his first two seasons and then turned into a trainwreck after.

Reaction Score
Ollie's player have been coached UP by Hurley and staff.
Definitely agree here. Ollie did not seem to have a knack for bringing in a freshman and seeing them improve. Carlton looked lost his freshman year made improvements last year under Hurley and seems to have taken a step back this year. That is on Carlton. Not sure if he HAS it? A few Calhoun recruits seemed to bloom very late under Ollie however you want that breakout junior year to build on and go into their senior year which is what Hurley seems to be doing better. Seems to be much more structure with everything they are doing now. Hands down we will be bullying teams for years to come in the future:)

Reaction Score

Hurley absolutely gets credit for coaxing something out of Whaley, and for at least reducing Vital's worst instincts on the court.

KO gets credit for coaxing something out of Daniels, bringing along Shabazz as a leader, and getting Boat to buy in and improve his game.

The issue for KO was with his own recruits. He either couldn't identify kids who were coachable in addition to talented, or didn't put in the effort to motivate or coach them up.

Reaction Score
Kevin's recruits didn't pan out and his later teams were known for getting behind big early and clawing back, usually to then falter late. Or falling behind early and then getting blown out. It was not good basketball to watch. What I've seen this year is simply better basketball.

Reaction Score
Kevin's recruits didn't pan out and his later teams were known for getting behind big early and clawing back, usually to then falter late. Or falling behind early and then getting blown out. It was not good basketball to watch. What I've seen this year is simply better basketball.

This year's team, under Hurley, with both his and KO's recruits, is actually fun to watch. That's the difference.

Reaction Score
Whaley stepped up when Akoks injury forced the issue. Some guys just need a little more run and it works out for them. And Gilbert seems to be doing better off of the bench. Injuries have shortened the bench. Fewer options, but perhaps more cohesive play.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
So, how would Ollie's team of Akinjo, Vital, Carlton, Whaley, Polley backed up by Gilbert, Mathews, Kisunas, and Wilson be doing in league play?
All of those guys, save Akinjo prior to the transfer, have been a train wreck. Kisunas barely plays, Matthews can’t shoot and can’t defend. And that’s without ollie’s lack of coaching.

Reaction Score
Hurley absolutely gets credit for coaxing something out of Whaley, and for at least reducing Vital's worst instincts on the court.

KO gets credit for coaxing something out of Daniels, bringing along Shabazz as a leader, and getting Boat to buy in and improve his game.

The issue for KO was with his own recruits. He either couldn't identify kids who were coachable in addition to talented, or didn't put in the effort to motivate or coach them up.

Agreed on everything.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Ollie was capable of recruiting well at times, he proved that. The issue was player development and the culture he created. Would agree right now that everyone has bought in and they are all Hurley's guys.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score

I've thought about this and I think that Whaley gets the credit for Whaley. This is a guy who believed in himself and did all the right things. He really saw a spike in minutes and a spike in performance when Akok went down. But Hurley hadn't played him big minutes up to that point. Love Whaley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom