Ohio State's Gene Smith calls for big changes to major college football | The Boneyard

Ohio State's Gene Smith calls for big changes to major college football

Reaction Score

-> "FBS are the schools that offer 85 scholarships or more. There is a clear distinction with the investment that those schools make, and everybody else. So to me, when you take 130 schools, as opposed to the 352, those 130 schools who have the same mission and the same investment level, and you can create your own rules - your recruiting rules, your personnel rules and your calendar of what football looks like."

"You don't touch anything else. The basketball tournament stays the same, your olympic sport competitions stay the same, the NCAA still manages your academics and the eligibility center. But for those schools, we can create our own rules and have our own commissioner or executive director"

"To me, that's a model that allows us to decentralize intercollegiate athletics with those schools that are making the same investment in football, because at the end of the day, that's what annoys us."

Smith goes on to talk about how he loves other sports, using synchronized swimming as an example, but politicians aren't making rules for the sake of swimming and the folks that should be making decisions about major college football should be those with the most skin in the game. <-

Reaction Score
I don't believe for one minute that Ohio State intends to stop where Mr. Smith indicates in this piece. They want football autonomy to make as much money as possible. Once they get that, basketball will follow for the simple reason that there is big money in that as well.

It's professional athletics in every sense of the term.

Reaction Score
The problem with this is "they" say they want to include all 130 FBS football schools but when they start creating the rules for this group they will essentially price the 65 non P5 schools out of the market.

That's what he's setting the stage for and at the end of the day I fully expect it to be less than 65. This is about one thing and one thing only.......money. The largest most "valuable" programs will grab as much of the pie as they possibly can. I think the BiG has to make a move and when they do, I think it's going to be huge.

Reaction Score

-> "FBS are the schools that offer 85 scholarships or more. There is a clear distinction with the investment that those schools make, and everybody else. So to me, when you take 130 schools, as opposed to the 352, those 130 schools who have the same mission and the same investment level, and you can create your own rules - your recruiting rules, your personnel rules and your calendar of what football looks like."

"You don't touch anything else. The basketball tournament stays the same, your olympic sport competitions stay the same, the NCAA still manages your academics and the eligibility center. But for those schools, we can create our own rules and have our own commissioner or executive director"

"To me, that's a model that allows us to decentralize intercollegiate athletics with those schools that are making the same investment in football, because at the end of the day, that's what annoys us."

Smith goes on to talk about how he loves other sports, using synchronized swimming as an example, but politicians aren't making rules for the sake of swimming and the folks that should be making decisions about major college football should be those with the most skin in the game. <-

This is where I stop watching, or caring about, anything to do with FBS schools and football. If I had a vote in the NCAA, they'd be out for all sports, not just the ones they want to keep to themselves.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
ALL P5 talk disguised as we care about the 130 schools. Wink Wink

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
With you here. No sense wringing our hands.
At some point I don't care. In the current present of 2022, I want to compete and hopefully have a fun season... but looking out 8-12 years, hard to see where its all going. I don't blame NIL, it had to happen. I don't really blame anyone, its all the natural evolution of competition. The blackholes of football power continue to grow.

Reaction Score
Problem with P5 is there are only maybe 30 teams that can make money. The other 35 in the P5 look up to others as meal tickets.

If the p5 is going to really split, they should jettison Vandy's Kansas, Duke, Wake, for example -- from the big money.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
TL;DR.

What he is saying is NIL isn't as an advantageous of an environment for OSU as the way before NIL was for OSU.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I fail to see the distinction of the current model. The P4 does what they want the rest cry for some scraps and everyone moves on.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
TL;DR.

What he is saying is NIL isn't as an advantageous of an environment for OSU as the way before NIL was for OSU.
Definitely not in basketball. All a mid-major school needs is one donor with some cash to throw around and you can grab two studs and win the Missouri Valley and get a 4 seed. In many ways, NIL will result in more parity in college basketball. College football will probably see less.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Problem with P5 is there are only maybe 30 teams that can make money. The other 35 in the P5 look up to others as meal tickets.

If the p5 is going to really split, they should jettison Vandy's Kansas, Duke, Wake, for example -- from the big money.
Serious question. Does a super league maintain the current level of CFB interest? I don't know. I pretty sure it wouldn't in hoop.

Reaction Score
The problem with this is "they" say they want to include all 130 FBS football schools but when they start creating the rules for this group they will essentially price the 65 non P5 schools out of the market.
Exactly. More disingenuous posturing to push the ball down the field to a 64 team cash cow. What they don’t get is the 300 schools (plus hundreds more at D2and D3) create the nationwide Saturday pastime and keep eyes watching all day and night. The “ investing” line is such total bull crap. They spend a lot more because they can due to obscene rev. shares nobody else gets. These clowns are so bad for the sport. They are going to destroy it.

Reaction Score
Serious question. Does a super league maintain the current level of CFB interest? I don't know. I pretty sure it wouldn't in hoop.
I think it doesn’t. It becomes the USFL or the International League. College football is more like baseball than the NFL in that it’s appeal is much more regional. People in Michigan aren’t going out of their way to watch Texas A&M-Mississippi any more than folks from New York are staying up late to watch Cincinnati at Arizona. If the NFL decided to play a couple of Saturday games, super league or not, college football would return to its 1950s ways.

Reaction Score

The incentive here is, don’t concentrate on your studies, just concentrate on making money for yourself and your school. I think Gene Smith is crazy, if you listen to him what’s to prevent the NFL from creating it’s own “G” league? Maybe the next Labron James will be a football player.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If it included the AAC and MWC in football, yes. Nobody cares about the MAC, Sun Belt, or C-USA. However, there are several programs in the AAC that are nationally recognized, and the MW represents an area of the country with minimal P5 football. If those two leagues make the cut, so will UConn.

Reaction Score

That's how I see it. It's 30-40 programs. If the BiG grabs some of the marque programs in the PAC (say USC, etc.) it will divide north-south (SEC-BiG). Most of the ACC, PAC and certainly the remnants of the Big12 will be left out. That scenario probably works in UCONN's favor to get back to competitive football at a collegiate level while the 30-40 programs play in that rarified air of full professional athletics.

Reaction Score
You can't put all of the great athletes on the field using just a few programs...there will be some leakage as athletes vie for playing time.

Example...Last season, FSU's DE Jermaine Johnson had transferred from Georgia so he could see the field in his senior year. He was awarded conference defensive player of the year and was drafted in the first round of the 2022 draft....

But saying that...a few great athletes sprinkled in a team is different from fielding a team comprised of all elite athletes.

Reaction Score
No sit portal access, NIL and possibly increased scholarship limits will all but assure talent is highly concentrated. Yes, there will be some leakage, but we all know that football requires lots of depth.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If it included the AAC and MWC in football, yes.
I doubt a super league would include them. I doubt a super league would contain teams like Vandy and BC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Next up, The BIG seeks to add junior varsity programs so that kids on the bench get field time too. I kid - until it happens in decade.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom