Oh joy Picozzi's back | The Boneyard

Oh joy Picozzi's back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Take a drink everytime there's a Picozzi cliche or statement we've heard 1000x before.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i can't for the life of me figure out why people dislike him so much. i think he's a terrific announcer. he's been covering UCONN for a zillion years. there are only so many anecdotes and stories you can tell. he's one of my favorite play by play announcers. i also love hearing him call other games. he may not be the very best out there, but i think he's terrific...

i mean let's be honest. Culmo's keys are a joke - has she ever covered a game for UCONN that wasn't over in the first 5 minutes (i'm exaggerating but you get my point - hearing her go over what UCONN "needs to do" to beat Pacific or Buffalo is really silly).

and the "shot that secured the win"? i get CPTV has a sponsor for that, but seriously? i almost choked when they pulled that one out for us. i'd find it less amusing if they called it "the play of the game"...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Eric Frede is twice the announcer Picozzi is. He does more game action call in a half than Bob does in a week.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Picozzi is much better without MC. Her attitude, delivery and lack of announcing skills could pull anyone down. Is Bob a great announcer? No. But he can be just fine without her personality, or lack thereof, killing any chance for audible enjoyment. Something else to keep in mind with Picozzi is that we hear him all the time. I am betting that most of us watch more UConn women's games than any other sporting event each year. Probably a lot more. So you hear the same things and notice them more. I'm not saying he couldn't be better, but he is okay.

Reaction Score
Picozzi is much better without MC. Her attitude, delivery and lack of announcing skills could pull anyone down. Is Bob a great announcer? No. But he can be just fine without her personality, or lack thereof, killing any chance for audible enjoyment. Something else to keep in mind with Picozzi is that we hear him all the time. I am betting that most of us watch more UConn women's games than any other sporting event each year. Probably a lot more. So you hear the same things and notice them more. I'm not saying he couldn't be better, but he is okay.
At least tonight he repeated several times something which had to be said: "When Buck gets the ball down low, 2 or 3 feet from the basket, she has to shoot it."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
At least tonight he repeated several times something which had to be said: "When Buck gets the ball down low, 2 or 3 feet from the basket, she has to shoot it."
Geno has spoken about this and has said it isn't a priority. They want her focusing on what she does best. Bob didn't get the memo as NCor suggested.

Better she control the rebound and pass it out for another possession than take a weak shot.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This team is a defensive monster and not just the starters.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Lauren is a Sophomore now and he still is calling her Laura. Will someone please straighten him out??????

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Lauren is a Sophomore now and he still is calling her Laura. Will someone please straighten him out??????
Perhaps he has gotten to know her so well that Laura is his shorthand for Lauren? :)

Reaction Score
Well, all the cliches aside, I think Picozzi is better tonight in one way: He seems to be setting up Culmo for the one thing she does really well, IMHO, and that's use the telestrator, or whatever they call it now, to break down plays.

Reaction Score
Yeah, the Laura thing drives me crazy. It's so obvious that he's doing it, and he does not seem to know how to stop.

Reaction Score
i can't for the life of me figure out why people dislike him so much. i think he's a terrific announcer. he's been covering UCONN for a zillion years. there are only so many anecdotes and stories you can tell. he's one of my favorite play by play announcers. i also love hearing him call other games. he may not be the very best out there, but i think he's terrific...

i mean let's be honest. Culmo's keys are a joke - has she ever covered a game for UCONN that wasn't over in the first 5 minutes (i'm exaggerating but you get my point - hearing her go over what UCONN "needs to do" to beat Pacific or Buffalo is really silly).

and the "shot that secured the win"? i get CPTV has a sponsor for that, but seriously? i almost choked when they pulled that one out for us. i'd find it less amusing if they called it "the play of the game"...

I thought that" the play that secured the win" was the tip off, could be just me of course.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Don't they call it The Play That Secured The Win because the sponsor is an insurance company or something? Security, etc...I don't know. It's a silly segment, but anything to bring in corporate dollars so I can watch UConn games all season long is OK with me!

Reaction Score
Take a drink everytime there's a Picozzi cliche or statement we've heard 1000x before.
Here we go again, won awards for announcing so I guess those who voted for him does not include you.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I distinctly heard Meghan use a "hah hah hah", a "hee hee hee" and "ho ho ho" tonight.

Reaction Score
(I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster) - I sent an email to Harriet about that last week and she wrote back and said it just sounds like Laura, he's saying Lauren (and also that he is the best prepared announcer ever so of course he knows her name). I had to work tonight so I missed the game - wondered if he got the message. I guess not!

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
The best joke of the month was during the awful game against F-D (first game of the "tournament") and someone said he/she was looking forward to the membership pitches. That still has me laughing...

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score

Love Picozzi.. his voice just brings me back to my crazy obsessed phase lol (aka my childhood)

Reaction Score
I'm another who has absolutely no issue with Bob Picozzi. I'll never understand why he seems to ruffle so many people's feathers or is it that those same few people who he aggravates continually utter the same refrains again and again. Wait, isn't that what a few of these critics claim Bob Picozzi is guilty of?????? How ironic that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I hold the copyright on that joke.

Only because you might have typed it first. I believe I had the first "thought" of it. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My only problem with Piccozi is he misses so many things. Culmo corrects him sometimes. As the play by play you are supposed to be getting them right. I understand it's a different angle from courtside, but still.

Reaction Score
I've heard Picozzi work lots of games involving other teams and thought he was more than competent. Maybe we are just too familiar with his quirks - or maybe he's too comfortable with UConn.

Kinda reminds me of Mike Patrick: when he's calling men's b-ball he's just fine, but when he works women's games (especially with Carolyn Peck), he's just awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom